Halpatiokee Lake Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(115)
Halpatioke Park

Halpatiokee Lake Trail is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Stuart, Florida that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.8 miles Elevation Gain: 9 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Nice trail that’s worth going back to. We were a little confused at first because there are lots of little paths off the main hiking trail but we think they all lead back to the multiuse trail. Plenty of shade for a large portion of the trail. We ended up turning back around instead of finishing the loop because it looked like the rest of it had little shade. Large part of the trail along water. Seems like a cool biking trail too, tons of people doing that the day we went.

A nice fun ride. Mid level. Nice pond views. Convenient location.

Trail is good to bring kids with on bikes. Be careful of mountain bikers since you will cross over some of their trails. They come up fast behind you.

This place was awesome! Lots or different trail paths to pick and weave around. Lot of fun and will be back. Mountain bike trail looked awesome too.

Beautiful trail that reminded me of the woods I used to play in as a kid. There was a lot of mud the further you went on the trail, making me have to turn back. Almost fell once but nothing bad. It was my first hike in a while and I had a blast. Went early on a Monday morning and had the trail practically to myself.

Mon Mar 04 2019

Awesome trails for biking!

Thu Dec 27 2018

Loved the mixture of evergreens and palm fronds in the same square foot of land, throughout!

Sun Nov 04 2018

The trail portions for hiking total about 4.5 miles. The 6.8 in main description is most likely for the bike trails. On a Sunday afternoon, I ran into 7 people in 2 hours. Not too heavily trafficked, but definitely not light either. The trail is marked fairly well, but there are a lot of intersections and kinda easy to end up on the wrong path. It's all connected though. Most of the trail has good overhead coverage. Light grasses cover 90% of it, so it isn't all soft sand like most Florida trails. I went after 2 days of decent rain and the trail wasnt bad. You could tell the river was higher than usual and there were just a few muddy spots to walk around. The exception being on the Island Loop (0.25~ mile) has a few spots of ankle deep water that couldn't be avoided, but this is an optional loop. As for wildlife, I saw a black racer, 3 gopher tortoises and oddly enough a opossum in the middle of the day. Definitely a nice a little trail to pass that morning. I will go back for camping when the weather cools down more.

Thu Sep 27 2018

Great dog walk trail.

Fri Aug 17 2018

This trail has lots of roots and tight curves. It follows the river to the primitive camp ground.

Mon Mar 05 2018

Enjoyed the trail, was surprised to find out that it included part of the Florida Trail.

Sat Feb 17 2018

Enjoyable afternoon outing

Sun Nov 05 2017

My favorite trail in the area. About 3 miles round trip. I’ve visited several times and I’ve seen deer, turtles, armadillo and river otters. The vegetation varies a lot throughout the trail and in some parts you walk along the river. Definitely recommend it.

Sun Oct 08 2017

Nice trail. However today some areas flooded and not easily passable. Will do again

Sun Aug 06 2017

Nice trails with moderate shade along the way. Not overly crowded

Tue May 30 2017

fun trail. lots to see. will be back here soon!

Sun May 07 2017

Nice , peaceful

Sat Apr 08 2017

Great trail. Very scenic

Wed Mar 22 2017

Enjoyed hike. Saw deer, birds, florida native plants. Good part of hike is shaded. Nice locals use often. Recommend.

Mon Mar 13 2017

One of my favorite trails! I walk this one a couple times a month. Would highly recommend it!!

Mon Jan 09 2017

beautiful trails!

Fri Nov 25 2016

Shady and lots of wildlife.

Sun Nov 06 2016

I loved this hike, it was exactly what I was looking for. Narrow trail winding under the canopy of tropical trees, foot bridges over a murky river, solitude. I hiked 3 miles along the river and back. I will be bringing out of state guests here who want to experience the natural landscape of Florida!

Tue May 17 2016

great scenery...and nice trails ....

Mon May 16 2016

first time at park... had a blast... absolutly loved it .... nice easy trails n some more difficult ones as well.... beautiful scenery as well

Mon Apr 25 2016

Peaceful. A great variety of trails.

Thu Nov 26 2015

It is not just out and back as described. It is a series of trails. Some multi use as well as mtb trails. We usually clock 6.5 miles.

Sun May 03 2015

excellent trail will definitely do again. I would recommend this to all advanced riders

Fri Jun 20 2014

This was the second time I came to this park and after asing 2 I am new to hiking here in Florida and I had a hard time finding where the trail was. The first time I came here to do this hike I couldn't find the trail. After asking a few people I found the trail and didn't get to do it. I did manage to walk 1.55 miles (according to my map my walk app on my phone) but it was mostly in circles. The trail wasn't marked (or maybe it was but I didn't know where the markers were or how to follow them. I plan on going on another day to try again because after my failed attempt I found a map of the trail. I took some pictures and hopefully it will be a better hiking experience.

Sun Oct 28 2012

Easy ride, no real challenges here. Scenery was nice and there are some places to rest at a few observation decks. Trails tend to get flooded fairly easy, so stay away after a rainstorm.