Green Swamp Trails

Green Swamp Trails is a 12.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Dade City, Florida that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Good trail. one of my favorite!

This review is more for the Upper Hillsborough Preserve Upper Hillsborough Tract with entrances near both the Zephyrhills Airport and also one on the other end of SR 54.

While this isn't exactly the AT, this is a hiking trail without bikers. End to end the length is about 8 miles.
Coming from the south, I typically stop about two miles short of the north entrance.

I do this for two reasons: 1. There is a very difficult elevated train track to scale to continue the hike. There are very large and for a big guy like me, hazardous rocks that make it very precarious to scale.

The second reason I usually don't complete the hike is that the northern end has a heavy boar population, and they have rooted up the trail.

A couple of other considerations:

1. Folks sky dive and fly light airplanes over head from the ZH Airport across the street. You can hear the folks soar above (even without an engine sound).
2. They allow hunting on this property, and it is a very popular hunting spot. Which is understandable considering the boar population. The down side is the hunting season is in the cooler time of the year. Just when I have put up with the high heat of the summer and expect to enjoy the cooler temperatures, the area is a veritable shooting gallery.

Very nice
Variety of terrain but very little in the way of wildlife

The blue trail was nice and short after the white trail of 11 miles yesterday. check out the scenic lookout.

Saturday, March 04, 2017

so peaceful

Saturday, July 23, 2016

I've been hiking here for the last 3 years and I never get tire of it. It is so massive you could literally spend weeks exploring it. A variety of wild and plant life and space. I rarely see another person. I love it!!!

Thursday, February 05, 2015

Seminole Cross Trail - Heading east on 471 its less than a mile past Colt State Park on the left. One of the best trails as far as a variety of plants and wildlife. The trail path is very clearly marked and easy to navigate through. my recent visit included a sighting of two otters, an owl, one alligator, and a chupacabra.

Monday, May 06, 2013

It was my least favorite Florida hike yet. It is not really a trail as much as a service road, and you are in direct sunlight for 95% of the hike. Now that the enjoyable part is done, there are a lot of Flies called Yellow Flies, but the real ones live here. Don't bother with bug spray (useless), bring a full bee suite or you will know what it feels like to loose your mind. We planned a two day camp but as soon as we woke, started to plan our escape...

Sunday, December 30, 2012

great area with lots of trails and very few other hikers. terrain is varied and wildlife is plentiful in areas.

Tuesday, March 15, 2016