Green Swamp Trails

Green Swamp Trails is a 12.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Dade City, Florida that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 12.3 miles Elevation Gain: 85 feet Route Type: Loop

I did not follow this map and instead did most of the trail on the Florida Trail.

Really needs some maintenance!

Do not follow this trail. It is almost all road hiking. Most of the road is grass but all is in the blazing sun. I followed the Florida Trail blazes out (orange) to the first gravel road you see (6.0 miles) and it was gorgeous. The trail is a real trail (not paved, mildly maintained but you can tell not used a lot) and it was awesome. We realized that was not the trail in All Trails, so we went back that way. Nearly all road and it was so hot and the grass drug your feet and hid holes.

Sat Jan 26 2019

Walked the 10 mile loop, taking the orange markers to white = 7 miles. Grey sky and cool weather conditions. White trail on southern end was washed out and had to get our feet wet in about twelve inches of standing water for a distance of about 70 feet. Great time. Lots more trails to explore.

Sat Jan 19 2019

Hiked from the trailhead on 471 to Cumpresco Grade Road, then took the connector out to Ranch Road. The connector adds another 3 miles round trip and brings the total hike to almost right at 15 miles. There’s a small parking area where the Orange blazed trail intersects with Cumpresco Grade so with two cars you could leave one there and turn this into a six mile one way hike. I’ve done this one four times and seen wildlife each time. Mostly deer. There are a couple of low lying areas though once you get a couple of miles out coming from 471. I’ve only done this trail in the dry season but I’m sure those spots fill with water after heavy rain. Otherwise you’ll stay dry. It’s usually pretty quiet. I think the most people I’ve run into was today and that was 10 during a 15 mile hike with those 10 people in a total of six groups.

Sat Jan 19 2019

Great Florida trail that had lots of open areas, low lying vegetation makes for great views through tall thin trunked trees. Made it to a large pond ~2 miles in. Stopped for a nap there on a creek embankment. Will return to complete this 13 mi. trail.

Sun Jan 06 2019

ive only been in florida a year, and am used to trails up in washington state and oregon. this was my first trail here in the sunshine state, and i thought it was great. i will certainly be back for more!

Sun Dec 30 2018

Stayed at the Gator Hole Primitive camp site. It’s about 1.5 miles or so from the McNeil Trailhead. There’s a fire ring and two picnic tables. There’s no water or electricity at this camp, so you must pack in/out all gear. If you are knowledgeable in filtering water, there is ground water, marshes and small ponds everywhere. Pets are welcome but must be on a 6 foot or less leash. They have four primitive camp sites along the trails, they can be reserved online, through the parks website. The trail is narrow in some areas and flooded in others but still a nice and constantly shifting landscape. You can see lots of stars from the Gator Hole campsite but there is still a moderate amount of road noise heard. I’ll have to try one of the camps that are farther into the trails.

Fri Dec 28 2018

The parking lot is easy to find and was nicely maintained. Parts if the trail were underwater so we took the road with the locked gate which was just as nice. After about a half mile the road noise is no longer heard and there are miles of beautiful forests to explore. We saw deer, lots of beautiful birds, flowers, and butterflies on a lovely warm winter day. We had the place to ourselves, and it was definitely worth visiting.

Sun Dec 09 2018

very nice trail have been out twice and looking forward to many more trips out and this is a good section for practicing and condition for some longer thru hikes I'm planning. it very peaceful and everyone ive met on the trail is nice.

Sat Dec 08 2018

Beautiful park, trails marked very well. The only downside was the amount of ticks. I go on many trails with my pups and make sure to check them before getting back in the car, they have never had more than three ticks collectively and today after a 4 mile walk I found 8 ticks on them, and we stayed on the trail. Aside from that it was very pretty, and volunteer at the front was friendly and helpful. Update: I lowered to three stars, I have found several more ticks, be careful on these trails and check yourself thoroughly after.

Thu Jul 05 2018

great place to hike and bike. one of my favorite places to go.

Mon Mar 05 2018

Good trail. one of my favorite!

Mon Feb 05 2018

This review is more for the Upper Hillsborough Preserve Upper Hillsborough Tract with entrances near both the Zephyrhills Airport and also one on the other end of SR 54. While this isn't exactly the AT, this is a hiking trail without bikers. End to end the length is about 8 miles. Coming from the south, I typically stop about two miles short of the north entrance. I do this for two reasons: 1. There is a very difficult elevated train track to scale to continue the hike. There are very large and for a big guy like me, hazardous rocks that make it very precarious to scale. The second reason I usually don't complete the hike is that the northern end has a heavy boar population, and they have rooted up the trail. A couple of other considerations: 1. Folks sky dive and fly light airplanes over head from the ZH Airport across the street. You can hear the folks soar above (even without an engine sound). 2. They allow hunting on this property, and it is a very popular hunting spot. Which is understandable considering the boar population. The down side is the hunting season is in the cooler time of the year. Just when I have put up with the high heat of the summer and expect to enjoy the cooler temperatures, the area is a veritable shooting gallery.

Sat Sep 02 2017

Very nice Variety of terrain but very little in the way of wildlife

Mon Apr 10 2017

The blue trail was nice and short after the white trail of 11 miles yesterday. check out the scenic lookout.

Sat Mar 04 2017

so peaceful

Sat Jul 23 2016

I've been hiking here for the last 3 years and I never get tire of it. It is so massive you could literally spend weeks exploring it. A variety of wild and plant life and space. I rarely see another person. I love it!!!

Thu Feb 05 2015

Seminole Cross Trail - Heading east on 471 its less than a mile past Colt State Park on the left. One of the best trails as far as a variety of plants and wildlife. The trail path is very clearly marked and easy to navigate through. my recent visit included a sighting of two otters, an owl, one alligator, and a chupacabra.

Mon May 06 2013

It was my least favorite Florida hike yet. It is not really a trail as much as a service road, and you are in direct sunlight for 95% of the hike. Now that the enjoyable part is done, there are a lot of Flies called Yellow Flies, but the real ones live here. Don't bother with bug spray (useless), bring a full bee suite or you will know what it feels like to loose your mind. We planned a two day camp but as soon as we woke, started to plan our escape...

Sun Dec 30 2012

great area with lots of trails and very few other hikers. terrain is varied and wildlife is plentiful in areas.