Gopher Tortoise Ridge and Big Cypress Loop

Gopher Tortoise Ridge and Big Cypress Loop is a 3.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Jacksonville, Florida that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

This loop takes place at the Sawmill Slough Preserve. The hike uses several trails in a complex that travels through multiple habitats, including maple and cypress swamps, passing by an ancient cypress tree, and around Lake Oneida. No dogs or bikes allowed.

Took our packs out today for a test run. Great trail.

Absolutely beautiful. Diverse topography and plenty of foliage. The trail itself is incredibly varied, sometimes dirt, sometimes sand, sometimes wooden bridges. There are lots of tree roots so watch your step; I enjoyed how interactive it made the trail. 10/10, my new favorite.

Nice relaxing walk or fun little jog. Great for families in the cooler months. Currently having a lot of work done but most trails are open.

Nice scenery, good route, and decent length for training; however, bugs are definitely a problem (disclaimer about the bugs: I completed this trail before I had this app, so I ran it during the summer months; I'm hoping the bugs aren't as bad in cooler weather). I'm a UNF alumni so I happily support our campus having these activities for students and fellow Jax civilians!

Lots of bugs in the summer and spring months. Also doesn’t allow dogs.

Good trails. Lots of cross country and track teams out here in the mornings, so you can't get lost on a Saturday morning. Though, Unf doesn't do the best job at maintaining the boardwalks over the creeks. Boards are always missing, tilted bridges, and there are multiple holes and cracks. There are still trees across the trail from Matthew, and Irma only made it worse. I have heard that they are working on getting funds to renovate and replace some bridges, but I've been hearing those rumors for 3 years. Zip-lining and obstacle course is also available upon appointment. Bring shoes you don't care about. It's always muddy unless it hasn't rained in a week.

Do watch for snakes

Saturday, April 29, 2017

The UNF trails are a true treasure of Jacksonville. I've been running here for over ten years and appreciate them more every time I hit the trail. Hoping to see some expansion! Also great for walking with the family as there are plenty of picnic tables near the lake.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

to many snakes for me

Saturday, March 11, 2017

Always a great walk with lots of scenery.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017