Gopher Tortoise, Pricky Pear, Ravine, Lake Alfred and Longleaf Pine Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(84)
Hidden Waters Preserve

Gopher Tortoise, Pricky Pear, Ravine, Lake Alfred and Longleaf Pine Trail is a 1.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Eustis, Florida that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and running.

Length1.5 miElevation gain157 ftRoute typeLoop

Photos (84)
Recordings (68)
Completed (139)
Ricky Blevins
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 28, 2021
View Ricky's Recording
Jody Rogers
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 6, 2021
View Jody's Recording
Sue Blough
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 19, 2021

Nice

View Sue's Recording
Audra Montgomery
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 25, 2020
Hiking

love this preserve. so many trail combinations, wildlife, plants, and mushrooms.

View Audra's Recording
Lucy Haddock
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 30, 2020
Hiking

It was a fun trail with some elevation for us Floridians. The sinkhole has created a nice stream into the lake. We didn’t see any gopher tortoises but the water birds were abundant. Be sure to pick up a trail map at the kiosk as there are many trails and you will want to be sure you know where you are going!

Lisa D.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 25, 2020
Hiking

Hot. Hills. Tortoises. About half of the trail is wide open with no shade, it gets hot so I would avoid when the sun is up high. The interior parts of the trail are nice with plenty of shade. There are some hills to climb. The trail marking aren’t the best and the map I used on all trails was a bit off. Maybe grab a trail map at the kiosk, I didn’t so don’t know if that will help. If you like gopher tortoises this is a good place to go; I saw at least 6. Portion of the trail was underwater down by the wetland but you can get around it through the woods- there is a trail to go around. Parking is limited.

View Lisa's Recording
E S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 25, 2020
Backpacking

For such a small area, there are miles and miles of trails. I thought I wouldn’t see a gopher tortoise. I think a lot of their boroughs. Then I stopped to look at a bunny rabbit, turn my head and there was a gopher tortoise. Quite hot. And there’s lots of hills here too

View E 's Recording
Laura Beth Hooper
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 17, 2020
RunningBugs

Nice trail. I enjoy running the loop a couple of times. So fun to spot the tortoises!

Sean Maloney
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 12, 2020
Hiking

Very fun, open trails. Good elevation changes with some decent roots. Peaceful little bridge/brook trail!

View Sean's Recording
Maggie Toomey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 23, 2020
Hiking

Always love hidden waters. Didn’t exactly go for just this loop, we like to wander to the 6 y/os taste. We did find a trail we hadn’t been on before (the pink trail). We walk up all the inclines, then turn around and run down them. Something amazing about running full tilt down a steep trail. Saw a TON of gopher tortoises, every upper trail we went on had at least one.

View Maggie's Recording
Jon Wilson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 22, 2020
HikingBridge out

Really pretty trail. Some of the small bridges built to cross ditches and walkway were dilapidated and falling apart but you could still cross. Very near busy roads so car noise was always present.

View Jon's Recording
marla dunn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 1, 2020
Hiking

some great nature views overall enjoyed my hike. wish the map indicated the different color trail locations. Wanted to do the 3 miles but ended up 1.5miles because we had no clue where we were most of the time. Will definitely come back!

Sissy Lott
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 1, 2020
Hiking

It's a nice easy trail and scenic in some parts. It has a cool stream and citrus trees! The lemons are huge. It is a nice place for a family walk.

View Sissy's Recording
Izzy G
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 5, 2019
Hiking

One of my favorite training spots, and is a great place to run or walk.

David B
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 7, 2019
Hiking

Nice little walk. The green trail (Longleaf Pine Trl) follows the perimeter fence, so lots of traffic noise. Surprised to find a nice bubbling creek off Ravine Trl and Lake Alfred Trl.

Deb D
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 17, 2019
Hiking

Easy. The most elevation change you will find in central Florida. There are small hills and streams. Parking lot is on the west side of park!

E S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 21, 2018
Hiking

Short hike. So some people on the trail that I knew from the pool at the YMCA! Wonderful sinkhole park

Melissa Tobin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 28, 2018
Hiking

I went with my husband and we loved it. Not at all what I was expecting. It was hot though and we went an hour before sundown. The inside trails do have cover from the sun but not much air movement. It was much cooler on the outside trail.

Jennifer Larson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 17, 2018
Hiking

Some nice hills and plenty of gopher tortoises. Beautiful canopy to keep the sun off you. Look for the Passion flowers and monarchs.

E S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 12, 2018

Brother Jim and I hiked. Hot!! Steaming hot

Sarah Wray
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 10, 2018
Hiking

This place really is hidden - it isn’t on any of the gps maps ... but once I found it, it was really nice! The trails are well maintained and have nice elevation changes. There is a “lake” ... more like a pond, at the bottom and the trail circles around and up on the ridge. It has quite a lot of variety for a smaller area.

Meredith Soriano
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 4, 2018
Hiking

I'm a geocacher and I was out there today walking around and it was so beautiful in there and I had no idea that this was even here in Eustis.... really a great place to hike or go out and take a walk and good for all walks of life and for children but be careful for wildlife and snakes and spiders and critters it's all out there and poisonous plants best hiking place here in Lake County

Julia H.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 1, 2018
Hiking

I really enjoy this trail. It's very interesting and I love the streams. I have always entered on the west side on country club rd. not abrams

E S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 5, 2018
Hiking

Short walk Relaxing is always. Saw a family of three. And a runner.

Bob Powell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 31, 2018
Hiking

This is one of the few trails with any elevation nearby my new FL home. I enjoyed the varied terrain and foliage. I walked a few loops on the different (all fairly short) trails and got in some good exercise.

E S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 16, 2018
Hiking

I did not know there was an entryway and Abrams Road. I didn’t like this way into the park. You’re walking to close to home just to open. I like the other entryway a lot better. And of course since I went in a different way I got turned around got lost in this tiny tiny park.

John Carusone

Update. Over many years of hiking here, I have encountered a coral snake twice. Easy to spot and not aggressive, I have only seen them in the Spring. If you hike with little kids who may be tempted to pick up this pretty snake educate them in advance.

John Carusone
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 21, 2018

My wife and I have walked hundreds of miles here and never tire of the variety. One of the few places in Florida with elevation.

Liz D
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 14, 2017
Hiking

These trails are easy to navigate with the map provided at the kiosk. There is a lot a wildlife to see as long as you keep your eyes open. Lake Alfred Trail has a large tree down right before the bridge due to hurricane Irma. Hopefully they get some trail maintenance out there. For a beginner hiker like myself, I would recommend.

E S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 13, 2017
Hiking

Post Irma. When you walk south of the bridge there is a little detour around a big fallen magnolia. Follow the orange flags. You could go through it but not recommended! Saw a big rabbit