Learn more

Gainesville-Hawthorne State Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(72)
Gainesville, Florida

Gainesville-Hawthorne State Trail is a 15 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Gainesville, Florida that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 15.0 miles Elevation Gain: 259 feet Route Type: Point to Point

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

paved

Longboarding. Nice smooth long extra mellow hills. A great spot to carve all day.

A beautifully maintained paved trail that is great for road or mountain bikes. Mostly shaded. There really isn’t anywhere to stop for drinks or food along the way so be sure to bring plenty of water and a maybe a few snacks. If making a round trip, I would recommend starting in Gainesville as there’s a little downtown area a few blocks away from the trailhead in Hawthorne and the ride back to Gainesville I found a little easier as it was more downhill.

Fantastic ride with my husband today hoping to go the whole way next time, he needs some practice ;)

So, social distancing has lead me to the gem of a trail, since the trails near my home are currently closed!This trail was a absolute pleasure to ride. I started at the Prairie Creek Preserve Trail head and rode towards Gainesville. Went as far as the Lake Alachua overlook. I saw lots of little critters, a snake up in a tree, rabbits, and a young turtle. There are some small hills, but overall a great trail for most level of bikers, walkers and runners. There is lots of shade also. The only down side is there are not many porta potties, the ones that are there seem to have not been kept up lately. I can't wait to come back again.

Amazing. Great Day trip

The pros: Nice trails with some great views. Well paved pathways with adequate signage for turns and road crossings. A few bike repair stations along the way put the mind at ease. A few early photo opps exist with a nice place to sit and reflect. The cons: After the first 2.5 miles there are no more hills or turns. Restrooms are non existent. There were only a few portable toilets that were dirty with no toilet paper. There was no availability to fill water bottles or purchase anything. A lone water fountain at the mile 15 turn around was all we found. TL:DR : A few breathtaking decents and exciting turns early left us wanting more for the other 26 miles. Bring your own snacks, extra water, and TP. Would ride the first part again, but not going out of our way to get back.

Gainesville Hawthorne State Trail was a great place to ride bikes! Lots of shade and a generous paved trail. There’s no opportunity to stop and get drinks or food along the trail so come prepared. The bathrooms were pretty gross and I wished there were water fountains at all the stations. The first 4 miles are pretty hilly but after that it becomes relatively flat.

Great trail! I enjoyed it. Kind of cold this time of year but overall it was an interesting hike. Loved it!

Rode my bike on this trail. First few miles outside of Gainesville were pretty amazing: hilly and almost tropical feel. There are a few nice spots to stop and overlook Paynes Prairie. As you get outside of Gainesville, ride becomes fairly routine. A great out and back.

We took the bikes down this trail. A lot of fun and a lot of interesting things to see.

Sun Apr 14 2019

I love this trail! Lots of natural scenery and a bit hilly. Trail has a few entrances. Definitely a favorite here in Gainesville.

Sun Mar 31 2019

great bike trail! kinda hilly in some sections! so definitely best with gears

Fri Mar 15 2019

Beautiful trail! We rented bikes from the Freewheel Project, off South Main Street. We started at the Gainesville end and rode toward Hawthorn. The trail is well maintained and passes through a lot of shady woods. I was surprised how densely wooded the area is, right in downtown Gainesville. This is a point to point, paved trail. You can start and end from several places. We didn’t have any issues with car break in activity, but it looks like that may be a problem. Would highly recommend this as a nice change of pace, especially if you have been doing a lot of hiking..

Fri Mar 15 2019

Excellent trail that meanders through shade forests and open sky. We were only able to bike a few miles out, but would love to do the entire length should we visit Gainesville again. If you’re looking for bike rentals at a fair price, then check with the friendly staff at The Freewheel Project at 618 S Main St., Gainesville, Tel: 352-378-2100. Have fun on the trail!

Sun Apr 29 2018

Great trail to walk, hike, bike, and skate. Lots of little stop offs you can make to explore the surround woods.

Mon Feb 12 2018

Nice paved trail with varied terrain through natural areas. Tons of side trails and Payne’s Prairie is lovely. Lots of fun ups and downs.

Mon Nov 13 2017

I bike this trail several times a week. I'm not sure what I'd do without it!

Sat Nov 11 2017

Nice clean trail. Enjoyable walk.

Sat Oct 28 2017

Love it

Wed Dec 21 2016

I've been riding this trail for years and it never gets old. With every season comes a new trail. Smooth path, pretty frequent scenic stops. A must-ride if you are in the area.

Sat Jan 09 2016

One of the best trails around for road biking. Watch out for heavy pedestrian/rollerblade/stroller traffic the first couple of miles, but after that the traffic fades away and you get to experience many different ecosystems with little traffic (except the occasional cross street) to worry about. Hit up the trail early in the morning and you will likely see turkeys and deer, and maybe even a wild boar. Just don't get too relaxed, as these critters are unpredictable (I came up on a guy who had somersaulted his bike over a wild boar one time). Really, the Gainesville-Hawthorne trail is one of the true gems in this area, a very scenic ride, and a great way to get some shaded exercise in the brutal Florida summer.

bike touring