Fort Braden Trails

Fort Braden Trails is a 11.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Tallahassee, Florida that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from October until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

canoeing

Take Interstate 10 to Highway 90 west (exit 27), go east 2 miles, turn south at Geddie Road (County Road 1585), go 2 miles, turn west on Highway 20, go 5.5 miles, trailhead is on the north side.

A lovely trail. I did take the advice of Charles a previous Writer. At about 1.3 miles I got a little confused, and could not see the orange signs on the trees. So I decided to turn around and go back even though I really was about halfway through the trail. Call good. glad I did. When I turned around I was totally in the forest as Charles described. I took a few moments to the deep breath found a little creekthat I've been walking the sides and found my way back. To the trail. Did I mention it was starting to rain? So lovely trail I wish I'd seen the lake but there's always next time. There are lots of ups and downs and little
Bridges.

What's laid out here in red is the Equestrian trail, not the hiking trail. I was alternating at the intersections for the first 4 miles of the East Loop. I started too late, and my ego got the better of me...I figured I would run the trail, but frequent stops for clearing orb weaver webs slowed me down. Also, in the last 1/2 mile or so before looping back to the central trunk, the trail disappears. There are paint blazes all over most of the trail...but they fade out and disappear toward the end.

Combine the failing light, a lost trail, and a low cell phone battery from checking the app too much to get back ON trail, and I had to make a judgment call...being inexperienced with Florida bush, I stopped where I was, and called the sheriff. An hour later, I saw their flashlight! I was less than a half mile from the trailhead, but in the dark, with no bearings, I could just as easily have gone deeper into the woods.

In town on a business trip, I did not have my usual pack, and foolishly assumed a relatively flat Florida trail would be a cinch for an Arizonan! Turned out to be a very humbling experience for an experienced desert and mountain hiker. And very unexpected on a suburban trail so close to two roads. It goes to show that either I'm a moron, or that it can happen to anyone...Or both! LOL!

Taking it in from the safety of my hotel room now, the trail was nice, and had I not run out of light, I am sure I would have gotten out without help. There is no doubt the late parts of the East Loop need some maintenance, but there is not enough maintenance in the world to offset poor assumptions when it comes to the outdoors.

Don't start too late in the day! And NEVER underestimate a dense forest! Also, big shout out to Leon County Deputies Derek and Torrance, Gadsden County 911, and Abdul at Consolidated Dispatch!

Side note: If you do get into trouble, turns out cells ping off a Gadsden County tower, even though the trail is in Leon County...Be sure to tell the 911 operator that you are in Leon County!

A ton of spiders in the middle of the trail, but overall pretty decent. Even in the rain

It was a beautiful trail; even saw a few deer. There where a lot of spiders in the middle of the trail and it was longer than we thought. Bring some bug spray because there are a lot of bugs, including ticks. (The people in front of us where pulling off a lot of ticks)

loved it (Central trail). Sooo many mosquitoes however! Make sure you check for ticks when you leave too, we found 2 on us (2 people) and 4 on our dog. Excellent place and adventure nonetheless. One of the down falls was the confusion with the trail markers. They were very inconsistent. We usually see them on the right side but on this particular trail they were on the left at some points and on the right at other points. Some spots lacked markers as well. Moderate to advanced trail.

A very pleasant walk, lots of deer.

Friday, August 26, 2016

Monday, August 22, 2016

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Great trail. I walked the eastern trail in the morning while it was still a little cool. The bugs weren't too bad but i imagine they could get pretty bad on a hotter day. The trail was well marked and there were some good views of the lake