Learn more

Fort Braden Trails is a 8.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Tallahassee, Florida that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 8.5 mi Elevation gain 459 ft Route type Loop

Description
Waypoints (0)
Getting There

$3 per vehicle

Take Interstate 10 to Highway 90 west (exit 27), go east 2 miles, turn south at Geddie Road (County Road 1585), go 2 miles, turn west on Highway 20, go 5.5 miles, trailhead is on the north side.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (49)
Photos (62)
Recordings (31)
Completed (66)
Miranda User
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jun 14 2020
HikingBugsOver grown

Dog friendly! Used to be one of my favorite trails. Unfortunately, because of covid, volunteers aren’t able to maintain it (not bashing! I understand!). It’s covered in thick layers of magnolia leaves, making it more difficult to stay on trail. I’ve been here dozens of times and today was the first time I got lost. I just happened to leave my map at home and couldn’t find the way out. After 3 miles of running, I was tired, hot, and panicked. Thankfully, my dog somehow felt my panic; she would lay down and refuse to go forward when I tried to take another trail to get back to the car. I finally listened and she pulled me toward the correct one that led to the parking lot. Again, I completely understand the lack of maintenance right now. But for those trying out trails, I wouldn’t recommend this one right now. Unless your dog has a secret built-in GPS. EDIT: BRING TWEEZERS, A ZIPLOCK, AND A FLASH LIGHT TO CHECK YOURSELF FOR TICKS! Found 2 on me and TEN on my dog, despite being on nexgard.

View Miranda's Recording
Scott Copeland
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Jan 20 2020
Hiking

Hey Karen - yes you are totally correct about reroutes done to the 3 loops just over a year ago. FFS rangers & volunteers worked on it for a week or so. An amazing experience and serious hard & dangerous work. Not sure if the reroutes were meant to be permanent .... FTA volunteers will be there 1-23-20 to reblaze and clear the small stuff. I’ll mention the missing mile markers but it’s probably a very low priority for FFS staff. Burn season is starting soon and they have lots to burn all thru Lake Talquin State Forest.

Karen Blaauw
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Dec 27 2019
Hiking

Great trail! Nice views on the lake. We hardly saw any people the whole trail. Mostly the trail was well signposted, although some parts were less so because of detours because of fallen trees. Mile markers 6 and 7 were missing. Probably because of detours.

Scott Copeland
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Dec 13 2019
Hiking

Ft Braden is not a mountain bike trail. Trails and creeks are in danger of erosion and washouts with hard use. Please use the Lines Tract near Wetumka that was built for bikes. There are also hard pan roads thruout the state forest. Or stop by the FFS office on Geddie Rd and ask for Bin or Ryan.

Robert K.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu Nov 28 2019
Mountain biking

Rode the West hiking loop on my mountain bike. (The horse trail was much too sandy and deep to ride on). Several steep ravine/creek crossings presented a bit of a challenge, but overall the ride was very pleasant with several views of the lake. The trail is fairly well color marked on the trees but the ground trail is not rutted much in certain areas. Overall it was a great ride and I would go back again.

Michelle Bissonette
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu Sep 26 2019
HikingBugsMuddyWashed out

went after a heavy rain and some areas of trail were a bit washed out but still relatively clear.

Gayle Nelson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Sep 19 2019
Hiking

Diverse geography and diverse natural growth. Well marked.

Lynn Pickel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon May 13 2019
Horseback ridingBugs

I love to ride my horse here. There are several streams to cross and many hills to climb. I would suggest having a map to follow or it is easy to get lost. Be sure to use a lot of bug spray on your horse and yourself. We ride with the crocheted ear bonnets, sprayed with bug spray, on the horses. There are many banana spiders across the trails, so grab your crop or a stick!

Brian Hetzer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMon Apr 22 2019
HikingBlowdown

Not much to see in the short stretch we hiked of this loop, including people, didn’t encounter anyone else during our couple hour outing. We accessed the trail from an entrance on Coe Landing Rd, a short walk from the campground. Very quiet and peaceful. The trail is little more than a lightly traveled hint of a path through hammock and lowland but the blazes kept us on track. Did encounter a good sized diamondback in a sunny spot just off the trail, keep your eyes peeled. Our hike was on pink and orange blazed portions of trail.

View Brian's Recording
Tammy Runge
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Mar 24 2019
Horseback riding

awesome ride on Easy loop . lots of water to cross. lake talquin

View Tammy's Recording
Leigh G.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Feb 16 2019
HikingMuddy
View Leigh's Recording
Lucas S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Nov 18 2018
Hiking

My buddy and I use to hike this trail all the time about two years ago. There are some really cool views of the lake, a couple primitive camping spots (no water), and a group fire pit/picnic table area. The trail can be split up to make it as long as you’d like. I did try to go yesterday, and it was temporarily closed.

Daniel Krick
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Sep 17 2018

Hiked all 3 loops in middle Sept. It took 3 hours you have to watch your step. Lots of sticks and leaves on trail. keep on eye on the orange blazes. I ran into a deer and 2 raccoons on trail. No snakes this time. There is a little elevation on the hike but not much . A little mud and slippery bridges. I would recommend for a private training hike.

Richard Stephens
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Feb 09 2018
Backpacking

A hidden gem close to Tallahassee. Very well blazed orange loop. Backpacking the outer loop will give you a moderate 4.5 miles in and 4.5 miles out., if you camp on the site on the center loop. The primitive camp sites are on Lake Talquin and do not have any facilities, but do have a fire ring and a bench. You can easily hike in after lunch and out by lunch the next day. The trail is a moderate or easy/rolling loop with lots of short bridge crossings over streams. Plenty of places to purify water if needed but the hike is short enough that you can carry enough water to get in and out.

Lisa M
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Nov 27 2017
Hiking

Based on previous reviews I was a bit nervous since I was hiking it alone. I found the maps at the trailhead helpful and comforting. There are clear distinctions between foot and equine with some crossover. Choosing the central loop for a day hike I took east entrance. Quiet and well marked that is until I approached the primitive campground sign. I lost the trail here and was definitely anxious over that. I have to assume the hurricane season has had some effect, three uprooted trees seen. Departing the primitive site, which was a quite lovely view of the lake with a fire ring and picnic table, I lost the trail again. Fortunately the equine trail crossing helped me pick it back up. Saw four white tailed deer frolicking. Equine trails were rather busy.

E S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Sep 06 2017
Hiking

A lovely trail. I did take the advice of Charles a previous Writer. At about 1.3 miles I got a little confused, and could not see the orange signs on the trees. So I decided to turn around and go back even though I really was about halfway through the trail. Call good. glad I did. When I turned around I was totally in the forest as Charles described. I took a few moments to the deep breath found a little creekthat I've been walking the sides and found my way back. To the trail. Did I mention it was starting to rain? So lovely trail I wish I'd seen the lake but there's always next time. There are lots of ups and downs and little Bridges.

Chuck Curry
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Aug 11 2017
Running

What's laid out here in red is the Equestrian trail, not the hiking trail. I was alternating at the intersections for the first 4 miles of the East Loop. I started too late, and my ego got the better of me...I figured I would run the trail, but frequent stops for clearing orb weaver webs slowed me down. Also, in the last 1/2 mile or so before looping back to the central trunk, the trail disappears. There are paint blazes all over most of the trail...but they fade out and disappear toward the end. Combine the failing light, a lost trail, and a low cell phone battery from checking the app too much to get back ON trail, and I had to make a judgment call...being inexperienced with Florida bush, I stopped where I was, and called the sheriff. An hour later, I saw their flashlight! I was less than a half mile from the trailhead, but in the dark, with no bearings, I could just as easily have gone deeper into the woods. In town on a business trip, I did not have my usual pack, and foolishly assumed a relatively flat Florida trail would be a cinch for an Arizonan! Turned out to be a very humbling experience for an experienced desert and mountain hiker. And very unexpected on a suburban trail so close to two roads. It goes to show that either I'm a moron, or that it can happen to anyone...Or both! LOL! Taking it in from the safety of my hotel room now, the trail was nice, and had I not run out of light, I am sure I would have gotten out without help. There is no doubt the late parts of the East Loop need some maintenance, but there is not enough maintenance in the world to offset poor assumptions when it comes to the outdoors. Don't start too late in the day! And NEVER underestimate a dense forest! Also, big shout out to Leon County Deputies Derek and Torrance, Gadsden County 911, and Abdul at Consolidated Dispatch! Side note: If you do get into trouble, turns out cells ping off a Gadsden County tower, even though the trail is in Leon County...Be sure to tell the 911 operator that you are in Leon County!

Danny Arnone
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarFri Jun 30 2017

A ton of spiders in the middle of the trail, but overall pretty decent. Even in the rain

Maya User
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun May 28 2017

It was a beautiful trail; even saw a few deer. There where a lot of spiders in the middle of the trail and it was longer than we thought. Bring some bug spray because there are a lot of bugs, including ticks. (The people in front of us where pulling off a lot of ticks)

J Graves
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri May 19 2017

loved it (Central trail). Sooo many mosquitoes however! Make sure you check for ticks when you leave too, we found 2 on us (2 people) and 4 on our dog. Excellent place and adventure nonetheless. One of the down falls was the confusion with the trail markers. They were very inconsistent. We usually see them on the right side but on this particular trail they were on the left at some points and on the right at other points. Some spots lacked markers as well. Moderate to advanced trail.

Arthur Gatlin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat May 06 2017

A very pleasant walk, lots of deer.

Monroe Deese
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue May 17 2016
Hiking

Great trail. I walked the eastern trail in the morning while it was still a little cool. The bugs weren't too bad but i imagine they could get pretty bad on a hotter day. The trail was well marked and there were some good views of the lake

Scott Ball
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun May 24 2020
View Scott's Recording
Scott Ball
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun May 17 2020
View Scott's Recording
Josh Hollingsworth
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Feb 29 2020
View Josh's Recording
Josh Hollingsworth
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Feb 28 2020
View Josh's Recording
Tammy Runge
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat Feb 22 2020
View Tammy's Recording