Florida Trail: Tamiami Trail to I-75

Florida Trail: Tamiami Trail to I-75 is a 29.5 mile point-to-point trail located near Chokoloskee, Florida that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, bird watching, and backpacking.

Distance: 29.5 miles Elevation Gain: 16 feet Route Type: Point to Point

I did about the first two miles from the interpretive center. Pretty trail but very overgrown and a little muddy at some portions. Did not have the time to do the whole trail (or even a lot of the trail) but I enjoyed the section I did.

As of April 13th 2019 this section starting at Oasis Visitor Center on Highway 41 going Northbound is DANGEROUSLY low on water, as there was completely no water. Make sure to setup a supply drop of water, pack super light, and be ready for extremely hot & humid weather.

take two hike poles, mud for first .2 message and then it is cool easy walk thru Cypress trees in knee deep water.

My dad and I thru-hiked this last week (Feb 8-12 2019) as our Part-1 of our goal of completing the entire Florida Trail as section hikers! The stretch to 13 mile camp is pine forest with some fallen trees to maneuver around, short distances of ankle water with sand and rocky bottom, few cypress domes, and some mud walking. Night 1 was 7 mile camp, Night 2 was 13 mile camp (really 16 from Oasis center), and about 2 miles out from Oak Hill camp the endless ankle-knee deep water walking starts! This water walking slows you down to 1 mph as the bed of path is very slick and like quicksand mud that drags your feet down. Not many places to take rest unless you get creative like we did! Night 3 we stayed at Oak Hill and then trekked through the beautiful Black Lagoon and onto the Random Camping site a 0.5 mile distance from Ivy Camp as it was a lot more of this treacherous water walking as before Oak Hill camp with hardly nowhere to rest. Night 4 was Random Camping that can be found on the Guthook app (definitely recommend) and then we hiked all the way to I-75 on Day 5! From Ivy Camp to joining the Swamp buggy road a mile out from I-75 it’s mainly some more mud/quicksand like mud water walking with a dry island/pine island to rest at 0.5 miles away from Swamp Buggy Road. Once you join the road it’s a clear shot to the gate! Definitely lives up to its title of being the hardest section of the Florida Trail but loved it!

Wed Jan 02 2019

We hiked on 12/28/18, the trail was dry, the bushes were a little dense and some trees down and on the way of the trail, we overnighted on mile 7. Some panthers paw prints on dry mud, but we didn’t see any. Not many mosquitoes, just a few at night, but nothing crazy. Didn't find any water source.

Wed Jul 18 2018

I only hiked 2.5 miles before turning back. When you start the grass is extremely high and only room for one person, so you aren’t sure what could be there so we took it slow. The water was about a foot high in some parts, but not too bad.

Fri Dec 29 2017

We through-hiked this is 2 days in April 2017. It was exceptionally dry for that time of year and we nearly ran out of water because there was nowhere to refill. Nevertheless, it was a great hikel.

Tue Mar 07 2017

Beautiful landscape, passes through various habitats from pinelands to hardwood hammock and through cypress domes. The southern 3/4 was very dry, but the north end requires sloughing through knee deep mud and water, it is also exposed to the sun. Bring a lot of water!

Mon Mar 06 2017

We started at the Oasis Visitor Center on Tamiani Trail. Our first day, the entire trail was dry, easy to traverse and very beautiful. We left around 8:30 and arrived at 13 Mile Camp around 4:30. The following day, the trail got very muddy and wet. Although it was much more difficult to hike, it was the highlight of the trip. We left at 7:30 and arrived at I-75 around 6 pm. We took several breaks and stopped for a long breakfast along the way. Adventurous and amazing. Unfortunately (or fortunately), never saw any snakes, even after venturing off trail many times in search of cypress domes. Mosquitoes weren't an issue either. Highly recommend this hike.

Mon Feb 06 2017

Very very nice....

Thu Nov 01 2012

We hiked in Big Cypress the area north of I-75 on the FNST Florida National Scenic Trail. We traveled North to the Red Trail approximately 2.5 miles and headed NE to merge with the Blue Trail and "Carpenter Camp" a primitive campsite. The hike was wet, some areas the water reached our knees, but for solitude, peace and wildlife viewing its the best. I suggest the winter months, less water, less Mosquitos, and less heat. The round trip loop approximately 7.5 miles.

Thu Jul 19 2012

I have two articles I wrote for the Miami Herald on this section of the trail on my blog: http://travelwithnature.wordpress.com/2012/07/03/away-from-the-beaches-lies-a-different-side-of-florida-and-its-quite-a-hike/ http://travelwithnature.wordpress.com/2012/07/16/florida-trail-offers-cyclists-a-wild-ride-through-big-cypress/ I hope you enjoy them!

Tue Jun 12 2012

I've hiked sections of this trail many times. There is copious wildlife found along the trail, with plant life changing with subtle changes in elevation. This is Florida Panther country, and though I've never seen one, I've often seen their tracks on the trail. Depending on the time of year and weather the trail can be anything from dry to muddy to knee deep in water, with muddy and wet being the most common conditions. The section from I75 north is dry year-round as it runs along an old dirt road. If you're interested in hiking in Florida check out the Florida Trail Association. They have chapters in many counties with monthly meetings and many group hikes.

Tue Apr 17 2012

We started at the the very first leg of the Florida Trail. It starts at Loop Road and heads North to the Ranger Station on Tamiami Trail Approx 7.2 miles. The Trail is easy to find and stay on. It has a Blaze of rust brown paint on the trees. Visibility of the trail or someone ahead of you varys from10 to 30 yards. There are Mile Markers on this first stage. It is illegal for Off Road Vehicles to be in this area. So it is peaceful and not torn up with multiple crossing trails to get lost on. The one photo showes how wide Loop Road is to park a car. Ranger said few problems with parked cars I would not like to leave mine there all night. You can pull GPS points off of Google Maps that are with in 20 feet of the trail. You should not need to referance your GPS as the Trail is well marked. Cell service is poor to none at Loop Road but as we hiked by MM 1 we started getting reception from I believe a ower at the Ranger station due North. This trail is knee water at times, but was dry in April . Have a great hike!