Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Florida Trail: Salt Springs to Ocklawaha River

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(13)
Ocala National Forest

Florida Trail: Salt Springs to Ocklawaha River is a 19.5 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Georgetown, Florida that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from November until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 19.5 miles Elevation Gain: 606 feet Route Type: Point to Point

Traversing the longleaf pine habitats of Salt Springs Island and Kerr Island with bowls of the Big Scrub in between, this section of the Florida Trail provides a place for backpackers to stretch their legs and enjoy a parade of fall colors and spring wildflowers.

I loved it. The area between 314 and 316 was the least interesting (though I did see some scrub jays). The area just north of 316 was my favorite part-- lots of deer moss. There are a lot of off road vehicle trails through here and a huge camp for them at Lake Delancey (I was disappointed to find that). The Rodman Dam area is beautiful. Lots of bear poop near Prairie Pond area. be cautious.

We did the trail over a 2 night stay. Very well marked. BRING WATER. Even though both camp sites are on ponds they are really muddy and will clog your filters really quick. They are the only sources of water on the hike. The first campsite was great. The second campsite is actually a atv campsite. We were there Sunday night and it was all cleared out. But With the amount of people leaving and the amount of trash (beer cans, whiskey bottles, etc) they left behind led me to believe you did not want to be there on Friday or Saturday night. It costs $5 for a campsite, but not at all primitive. Ticks where out, but I sprayed all my clothing and gear including my dogs pack the day before we left and neither of us got bit the whole time. all in all pretty nice hike

Do not try to follow the directions you get from all trails by clicking the link unless you have a very capable 4wd vehicle with very high clearance. It will try to tell you to go down FR50 which is a forestry road with very high ruts and extreme sugar sand pits. Better to find a place where Florida Trail intersects a paved road. I just hiked in via the forestry roads which I don't recommend as its like walking on the beach, very tiring. The trail itself is very beautiful and peaceful once you get away from the roads. Besides the two stranded fellows on the way out I did not see a soul out on the trail so its very lightly trafficked in January.

Fri Jan 04 2019

We walked a section from 316 to Prairie Pond. In and out was about 2.6 miles. It was a nice, well marked, Florida Trail.

Sun Sep 17 2017

It was hot, spiders ruled, fallen trees from Irma, and all the plants left their marks.

Fri Dec 14 2012

There was a lot of great views all along this route. My wife, brother, and his wife all hiked it together with one night of camping. Bring alot of water! In the summer it is hot and you run out quickly. There is a little rest stop area about halfway through where we ate, like a gas station with a little restaurant. Had a beer or too, then hiked toward camp spot. Great trip, great hike, was a lot of fun.

Wed May 08 2019