Florida Trail - Hopkins Prairie

Florida Trail - Hopkins Prairie is a 12.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Ocala, Florida that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

canoeing

11 Mile section of the Florida Trail that travels through the Juniper Wilderness Area. Very popular camping spot at Hidden Pond about half way through hike.

I can't wait to try this walk in the fall, and it's not so humid sure mosquitoes, fewer biting flies. I think would've really like about this trail is how far off the beaten path you feel. What are you are you go on several dirt roads to get to it. And you won't likely see anybody on the trail, although they are wonderfully marked with signs throughout about the wildlife. The boardwalk so great if only I could learn to walk without scaring off all the wildlife. Lots of spiderwebs so bring a Walkingstick. If her last birds in the morning humidity is still very high.

There are two trails here. I went on the sinkhole loop first. If you like isolated, thick woods and narrow trAils this is perfect. I only had time to do a little bit of the lake eaton trail. I'll be back to see the lake. Once again I used the trekking poles brother Jim gave me. Thanks Jim

Saturday, June 04, 2016

Sunday, May 08, 2016

Monday, March 07, 2016

Sunday, December 27, 2015

Friday, August 07, 2015

Went on July 8-9th, got a late start so we had to battle a lot of spiders at night. We didn't get in until after midnight. But going through the prairie was beautiful, and a group of A-10 Warthogs practicing at the naval bombing range was a nice way to start the trail. I wouldn't recommend hiking in the middle of the summer, going back when the weather is more favorable!!

Friday, March 20, 2015

Hiked this trail this past Saturday. We had great weather , was a great hike. Took a refreshing dip in Hidden Pond. The hand water well pump is not working at Hopkins Prairie. The campground at Hopkins Prairie was a lot better than I thought it would be.

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

This was a very good trail. My first solo. Since hidden pond is at the halfway mark, I recommend boiling your water here or it's roughly a 5 mile hike each way with minimal water (at least when I went in February)Hopkins Prarie has a beautiful sunset and sunrise. Not many ticks as long as you stay on the trail. Would recommend as an easy trail. Pump was turned off at Hopkins because of high amoeba as of 2-21-15. You should always boil it anyways, right? Met awesome people too!

Monday, January 26, 2015

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Monday, August 05, 2013

I recently hiked from Hopkins Prairie to Hidden Pond, and I loved every second of it. This time of year is not really suitable for this kind of hike. There is shade on only about 15-20% of the trail, and with stifling temperatures and high humidity be prepared to sweat. Left from Hopkins Prairie (free parking) around 4PM and made it to Hidden Pond by 6:30-7:00. I was lucky enough to not have ANY visitors the entire time I was there. DO NOT SWIM IN HIDDEN POND THIS TIME OF YEAR. The water was extremely warm and could almost guarantee amoebas are a high threat. Boil all water from Hidden Pond. After 3 days at Hidden Pond I would recommend the hike to anyone. BRING 40 DEET!, it will save your sanity.

Wednesday, January 02, 2013

We had an overnight hike/camp of this area. It was a good hike, perfect temperature, but the wilderness has been burned and so there was not a lot of coverage from the sun. Also, having no trees or anything made the scenery lackluster. I probably won't be back, but I would recommend it for a one time hike. Stopping at hidden pond to camp halfway through was great. Although there were more people around than I like to see.