Florida Trail: Alexander Springs

Florida Trail: Alexander Springs is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Altoona, Florida that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 6.9 miles Elevation Gain: 193 feet Route Type: Point to Point

Alexander springs - run through ocala day 1.

My wife and I sarted at the Alexander Springs entrance gate, took the blue blazed trail to the FT, then went West on the FT, we took the FT to SR19 & back. The first bit is all under dense tree cover. The rest of the trail opens up into pine scrub, with a few hills. The trail is all very sandy, soft and dry, exposed to the heat and sun. The sand is manageable, especially if you slow your pace a bit and tread careful, the heat and sun ... it's FL it's as bad as always in mid May. We did the 8.5 miles with 2 liters of water each, but there are no water sources so make sure to camel up at Alexander Springs. Our biggest challenge was the ticks. Never have we ever been attacked by so many ticks in one day. They were crawling all over us, up our trekking poles, legs, in our shoes, under our shirts, everywhere..if we stood still they would just start climbing up from the ground... it was craziness. If you hike this trail in May, be prepared for the ticks and make sure you sunblock and bring at least 2 liters of water per person, 3 might be safer.

Thu Aug 09 2018

This is a very pretty trail through scrub, pine flatwood, sand hill, and oak hammock habitats. It's an enjoyable hike, though the experience was a little marred by the fact that Golden Silk Orbweaver webs were literally everywhere. I had to remove about 100 of them (not exaggerating) as I walked the trail. I also found a total of 11 ticks on me by the time I made it back to the car. On the plus side, once I arrived back at Alexander Springs, I could just jump in the water to cool off.

Sun Nov 11 2018