Florida Trail: Clearwater Lake to Alexander Springs is a 10.6 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Astor, Florida that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and mountain biking and is best used from November until May.

Point to Point

There are ticks !!!!! This may or may my not be the trail i was on. Hot summer day. No mosquitoes. Saw some tracks. And just enjoyed a day, well one hour in the woods.

This is more is a 12 mike hike.
Also, if your going to Alexander Springs, around mile 10 or 11 you will be walking on a rather long wooden foot bridge. After that foot bridge, start looking for the BLUE path to your right. The BLUE path will lead you to the Springs. If you keep going on the Orange path, you will really over shoot it.

Started at Clearwater Lake and worked my way north. Got a late start (5pm), so only made it about three miles until we set up camp at the flood plains. Like previous posts stated, around Paisley might not be the best spot to set up camp. LOTS of traffic, dirt bikes, four wheelers, a truck parked itself by my camp with its headlights on (I didn't notice the truck but my friend did). Second day we made it to the springs. Great location to relax and snorkel. Stayed the night at the springs and made the 11 mile trip back to clearwater lake the next day. First couple of miles are barren due to recent controlled burns, but once you pass the flood plains and enter the tropical forest it really is beautiful. Overall a great day hike, but not the best spot to camp at night.

Good hike but, be aware there is hunting season so avoid very early morning or evening/night hikes. Wear bright colors and bring a whistle to make noise every so often to let know your presence and location.

What started as a planned two-night backpack hike at a leisurely pace turned into something different. I headed out 3pm Friday and hiked 4.5 miles. I set up camp to enjoy a nice quiet evening under the stars. Right around 8 pm everything changed. Convoys (Maybe 15) of 4x4 trucks started down the Forestry Services roads. Then between 9pm - 1am the hounds were running all over the park tracking deer. The gun fire was the whipped cream on the cake. This was not an occasional shot, there were semi auto discharges (of multiple calibers) as late as 3:30 am. I decided to leave the next day after making it to Alexander springs after finding fresh 45 cal shell casings on the path back to Clearwater Trailhead. Hunting season was supposed to start the next week, so I am very curious as to what was going on.

My advice, do not go camping in this area until Forestry can address this (if they address this). Look at when Hunting season is avoid planning your camping trip close to that time. Thankfully my family were not with me. Also, this is not a 9.3 mile hike per this site. This is more than 11 miles one way.

Friday, July 07, 2017

Starting from Clearwater Lake the first 6 miles are wonderful. A bit of roll through a pine Forrest and then down into the typical Central Florida lowland. The final three miles are also rather pretty with a most excellent boardwalk closing out the FT segment. But the middle 3 miles are pretty much Mordor. The look is a 3 year ago fire took most of the trees, leaving the occasional 20 foot high charred stick. What has replaced the pine scrub is 6 foot high dense undergrowth with complete sun exposure. Add in silly me choosing a cloudless July afternoon to take the stroll and this Frodo is asking Golum for directions by mile 7. But hey, it's a hike not a Disney walk so part of the why we do this stuff is dealing with what the day throws at you. Finally the Pines return and you take the boardwalk and then the final half mile along a bike friendly path to the front gate of Alexander Springs Park - here is where this day gets special. You walk past the bathing suit picnickers to the waters edge. You wade into an incredibly cool, sandy bottom, Florida Spring that melts the sand and sweat into that special feeling of a diem well seized.

Monday, April 03, 2017

I want to begin by apologizing for underestimating Central Florida's section of the FNST. This Hike was B.E.A.utiful!
We did it (04.01.2017) from Alexander Springs to Clearwater. It was hot (89°F)! especially the sand scrub section (no canopy coverage). That didn't last too long, however, so it was still very pretty!
At the beginning it looks like everything else in Central Florida (I hike here a lot), then moves onto the sand scrub, to a more jungle like area (with a couple of boardwalks) to just forest. The canopy coverage does open and close from time to time, so the sun still gets to you. The most scenic part of it all was between FR69 to Clearwater trailhead. Didn't even look like Florida and had very obvious elevation changes (didn't expect that).
Definitely more than 11 miles and we didn't see any bear or deer, just an armadillo, a scorpion and the usual birds and insects. Watch out for ticks and mosquitos.
I'm more than likely going back to hike and camp on the trail. But I'll probably wait until after summer...yeesh!

Sunday, January 29, 2017

Parked at Clearwater Friday afternoon. Hiked 3 miles in to set up camp. Hiked to Alexander Springs Saturday morning and then continued out 3 miles past Farles Prairie before turning back. Set up camp just south of 19 and returned to Clearwater Sunday. Saturday was a big day-28 miles. Great hike!

Thursday, April 09, 2015

Alexander springs to buck lake. From thicK Forrest to pine trees to beach type bush. Saw deer, heard wild hogs & birds and had to keep plucking ticks off my clothes.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Florida Trail, nice rolling pines, well marked with benches every mile or so.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

cross Florida Trail, nice rolling pines, well marked, benches every mile or so.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

nice rolling pine forest, easy well marked

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Just got back from a Juniper Springs to Alexander Springs overnight hike. The trail was beautiful with varying landscapes and lots of wildlife, saw a young black bear, a deer, and a coyote. It was a relatively easy 17 miles, even though you do get the uphill experience going over the scrub pine islands. Either way by the time I hit Alexander Springs I was ready for a dip. The water was cool and refreshing and a perfect end to the day.
On a negative side note I stepped in a tick nest somewhere along the trail and the ticks took up residence in my shoes and socks. Literally thousands on my ankles, feet, and in my socks/shoes. I recommend spraying your socks and shoes with Deet before you go out there. I know I will from now on.

Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Did this hike in early march just after a cold front so the nights were a little cold but overall weather was great. First day was from clearwater lake to alexander springs. Pretty easy hike of about 10 miles. Second day after getting water from the ranger station we hiked to juniper springs, about 17 miles. Being our first multi day hiking trip, it took about 11 hours to get there and we were beat. The scenery was gorgeous and would definitely do it again.

Wednesday, March 09, 2011

We hiked from Alexander Springs to Clearwater Lake. This is half of the trail from Clearwater to Juniper, it was a great hike. There was good water on this leg of the trail and plenty to look at. Only problem was we ran out of day light and had to trek about 3 miles in the dark before setting up camp, AGHHHH!! Another problem is that there is a section that reminded ny son and I of the DEAD FORREST in Lord of the Rings!! This was due to the section had been burned down and was just recovering. Other than that great trip and I would recommend it to hikers.

Monday, December 26, 2016