El Rio Trail is a 6.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Boca Raton, Florida that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.7 miles Elevation Gain: 65 feet Route Type: Out & Back

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

paved

A well maintained trail which follows the El Rio Canal between Glades road and Spanish River Boulevard in Boca Raton. It's paved and borders Florida Atlantic University to the east. The trail features rest areas every so often under shade provided by the numerous trees. The wildlife includes the ever-present Gopher Turtle, some waterfowl and a Great Heron or two. There is also excellent fishing to do enjoyed from the banks of the canal. As the trail meanders northwards, you get to cross a nice, old bridge about halfway down the trail with marvelous views up and down the canal and from which you can view the antics of the water tortoises who come up to sun themselves, depending on the time of day. The trail ends just as you reach Spanish River Boulevard. As with most hikes in south Florida, be sure to bring lots of water on a hot day.

When I lived in Boca, this was my favorite running trail. I felt like I out of the city and could really get into the groove (so many iguanas and Florida wildlife). Felt very safe on this trail for the most part, but going under the bridge could be sketch at times. There are usually always people biking, walking, roller blading though, especially on the weekends. The trail itself is pretty exposed to the elements (sun!), so I would recommend bringing water and wearing a hat. Also, when it came to parking, I would just park at the CVS across the street.

this has been my favorite trail in South Florida so far. I wouldn't recommend parking at FAU . I was I worried about parking but had no problem. saw bunnies, owls and awesome birds

Tue Jul 24 2018

Stupidly we went mid day. My bad. Likely 100 degrees and couldn’t hydrate enough. Went through two liters of water just starting rise back. It is a great trail for families, kids, friends or by yourself. Post first 4 miles trail becomes narrow and it runs parallel to commercial and condos/apts there is a lot of tree and limbs debris. It is fine unless someone is coming opposite way. No place to go. The only big negative for me and always personnel safety aware. There is a small portion maybe a block long under bridge area. It is so dark even at 1:00pm. I don’t see myself doing that position by myself. If someone was hiding there you wouldn’t know it or see them. Tons of beautiful turtles, huge colorful lizards, birds etc. recommend this trail for sure. Be carful when crossing streets as not one person stopped even when we pushed the caution riders button I will go back for sure

Mon Jul 16 2018

Awesome trail. Great for running and biking.. Tons of iguanas.

Sat Jun 30 2018

very nice trail. this one is actually 6.7 miles from start to finish and there are signs everywhere for it so you cant miss. part of it is in the actual park and some is a greenway. we walked part of the greenway which ended up being about 2 miles. I saw tons of iguanas. beautiful area. looking forward to walking entire thing soon. highly recommend.

Thu Apr 26 2018

Excellent trail, scenic and well maintained. This trail is great for the family. It was a bit difficult to find. The easiest way to find it is to go by the canal by FAU. It runs along the canal. Also we found parking across the street on glades in the CVS parking lot.

Mon Apr 16 2018

Not a bad little ride, nice and secluded with plenty of entry/exit points. Some parts are still under construction but easy enough to get around. Ladies, there is one dark scary bridge underpass so be advised. Parking is a challenge that I hope they address at some point, but I parked “illegally” at the Boca Raton Outpatient Laser Surgery Center, and I don’t think anyone there would’ve cared if they knew. I wouldn’t advise riding or walking the entire out & back in summer, as only about half of it is shaded. There are lots of street crossings so it’s not a speed workout. The entire length is paved with no major potholes. I hope they extend this trail some day!

Wed Mar 14 2018

Park at Yamato scrub area on Clint Moore and head south. It gets tricky at Yamato; cross the street and go across railroad tracks to pick it up again. I use it as a running trail to Glades and back and finish with a loop around scrub area.

Tue Mar 06 2018

For an out of towner staying at a hotel next to the trail, it’s pretty nice. Ran part of it this morning and it was enjoyable and peaceful.

Mon Mar 05 2018

the enterance to this trail is very difficult to find. there is no parking area or anything of that nature that I was able to find at least I spent an hour driving around different parts of this trail just to find a place to park my car that it wouldn't get towed. it says hiking in available but it was primarily bikers and I felt like I was in the way. I wouldn't recommend.

Sun Mar 04 2018

I couldn’t find guest parking at the beginning of the trail and ended up parking in the metered section of the university. All other places seem to require a permit to park. The shared pathway is mostly used by cyclist but we saw a few other people walking. The trail is currently under construction on Yamato, which detours to the main street. Although the entire trail is a paved pathway, I got to see many birds, such as great blue heron, tricolored heron, limpkin, little blue heron, osprey and more. I also added a section of the Yamato Shrubs to the in and out El Rio Trail and ended a little under 10 miles.

Fri May 12 2017

Great for bike riding! A nice smooth trail with some shade. Safe for bikers who want separation from cars.

Mon Feb 20 2017

Great ride! When we got to Yamato, at mike 2.4, the busy road, and the railroad tracks we were confused where to go next? Please let me know how to continue this trail?

Sat May 28 2016

Wide and clean

Sun Apr 10 2016

nice quiet mixed use path.

Tue Dec 29 2015

This is a well-kept paved trail along a South Florida canal. Wildlife include multiple iguanas, anhingas, ducks, and many songbirds. It is flat, clean, and dog friendly. It does cross a few south Florida roads, some of which are very busy. For an urban trail, it's not bad.

Tue Mar 24 2015

Great trail, but see the advisory below: Beginning 6 a.m., Monday, March 30, 2015, the El Rio Trail, from just south of Yamato Road to Spanish River Boulevard, will undergo a full closure for approximately four (4) months to facilitate safe bridge construction associated with the I-95/Spanish River Boulevard Interchange project. During the closure, pedestrian and bicycle traffic will be detoured via the T-Rex Trail. The Tri-Rail station will still be accessible from Yamato Road via the El Rio Trail. This closure will allow for the widening of two (2) existing bridges, and the construction of three (3) new bridges, all of which span the trail. In addition, the trail will be slightly realigned and the El Rio Canal will be shaped and lined. This $67.7 million, 2.5-mile project began construction on January 13, 2014 and is expected to be completed in summer 2017, weather permitting. Work is being performed by Astaldi Construction Corp.,with Creative Engineering Group, Inc. overseeing the project for the Florida Department of Transportation.

Tue Dec 09 2014

MY SAVIOR!!! My neighborhood is .02 miles from one of the entrances to the el Rio, so I use constantly.The trail actually runs from Glades Rd to the Boca/DelrayBeach city limits, so there is nowhere for Boca Raton to take it North. Hopefully Delray will pick it up. Plenty of room for Boca to continue it southbound though. I urge they do so to the southernmost point of the city! SAFE SAFE SAFE! South FL in general does not have a very good reputation regarding drivers sharing our roads, so any designated Bike/Walk Path is a godsend & I do hope more will be constructed. The el Rio trail can be used as a beautiful scenic route or could be used as a functional purpose, connecting to so many prime locations: Tri-Rail, FAU, Costco, LA Fitness plaza filled with retail/restaurant/bars & a connection to the T-Rex bike trail that leads to the Spanish River Library &, Spanish River Rec Fields. With construction of the new I-95 entrance/exit right into FAU there will be new bike trails to discover as well as a tunnel or overpass to cross Yamato, so you wont need to worry about arriving alive to your destination anymore. Boca Raton, thank you for being a Certified Bicycle Community and continuing to provide residents with such a perfect trail. The only thing more the City of Boca Raton can do, in my opinion, is to educate drivers about sharing the road with cyclists, educating drivers to recognize cyclist hand signals, make talking on phone (unless connected to a bluetooth device) and texting/sexting while driving a primary offense (so they can be penalized just for texting).

Sun Jul 06 2014

Nice back trail from Boca train station to Glades.. Wish they're were more gems like this everywhere

Sun Sep 30 2012

I frequently lead group walks on this trail. It currently runs from Glades Rd next to FAU all the way to Congress near Costco. I'm told that a tunnel will connect the trail across Yamatto. There are large scrub areas along parts of the trail north of Yamatto and smaller areas to the south. Round trip is about 9 miles. How do we update the map to show the whole trail?

recorded Recording - Nov 10, 3:30 PM