Learn more

Coastal Strand Trail is a 2.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Flagler Beach, Florida that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.1 miles Elevation Gain: 19 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Easy and beautiful February hike. Our dog had a great time, too!

Did a January hike, no bugs. A well maintained trail sunny trail.

I have tried walking this trail in June, and turned back after a few feet due to persistent mosquitoes with a quick bite. However, came back in late December and the hike here was truly enjoyable. The trail is clearly marked, and the terrain changes are really unique. I highly recommend this hike for a winter Florida day. Definitely avoid the trail in summer and just go to the beach instead.

You can take this all the way out to the ocean at North Peninsula State Park. I did this on a cool, cloudy (and very windy) day in December so the sun wasn't a problem, but there is a long stretch where it's pretty open. Much of the trail is sandy too. I didn't see any wildlife but there were plenty of deer tracks.

Thu Feb 07 2019

Nice clear path. I’d go early as you’re walking in the sun for a good while at the loop area (to avoid the heat).

Thu Jan 31 2019

Nice well maintained trail. Birds, armadillos, deer. No spider webs in winter

Mon Jan 28 2019

Nice sandy trails. Shows both swamp and overgrown sand oak habitat. Definitely potential to see wildlife.

Thu May 31 2018

I felt like I was walking through Jurassic Park when I hiked this trail. But I definitely would recommend BRINGING BUG SPRAY!!!! We went in late May and a few spots throughout the trail were swarming with mosquitos and it was bad enough we had to start running to try and escape them. If it weren’t for the mosquitoes this trail would have been very enjoyable.

Mon Jun 13 2016

It was a great morning walk. There were a lot of spider webs along the wooded section of the trail. I was able to practice some superb karate moves when I would walk into them without seeing them first. There are sandspurs along the western side of the loop that may be aggravating if you have a dog. I did see some turkeys along the trail which was cool though.

Sun Jan 11 2015

Trail was completed covered by spider webs! Couldn't walk 10 feet without running into one.

Sun Dec 15 2013

My dog and I loved this easy and pretty hike. We went through a patch of sand spurs in the top loop which was frustrating for doggie. I recommend turning your pup around at the power line part to skip the loop.

Mon May 06 2013

This is an easy hike mostly along the Halifax River some light canopy covers the beginning and end (return hike) but the remainder has full exposure to the sun. Bring along sun and insect protection. The only wild life was a large gator in the river. There were a few flowers but this may be too early in the season. OK for families or a short walk.

Tue Oct 30 2012

I jogged this trail and it was awesome. There were challenging sandy parts, and small hills, and the scenery, butterflies, dragonflies, views from the tops of dunes...all totally worth it. Love it! It would be great for a family trail for the day, a picnic (with tables, too), or a 2+ total mile run ;)

Sun Mar 25 2012

Nice trail for a family, or solo hike. Informative plaques along the way. Some sugar sand, but not bad.

Tue Feb 12 2019