Coastal Pairie Trail

Coastal Pairie Trail is a 17 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Ochopee, Florida that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

wheelchair friendly

This is a great hike. My 11 year old son and I did it...out one day, return back the next.

Note that the wooden NPS "Clubhouse Beach" sign marker, which used to be on the prairie behind the beach, was swept away (I presume) by Hurricane Irma. You can see a great deal of storm debris lodged up against the scrub treeline on the north side of the prairie.

I bought a bottle of Ben’s 99% and put it on before this hike. It was in March, so still the dry season, but I had a cloud of mosquitoes hovering about 6-8 inches from my face for much of the way. If you’re at Flamingo and need a long hike, this is it. But it’s not terribly inspiring. One amazing surprise: we saw a Florida panther cross the trail.

There are very few bugs today as it is in the 60s. The trail is a bit muddy but fun seeing all the animal tracks. We did some trail maintenance since hurricane Irma felled some trees. We stopped about halfway out to Clubhouse Beach because we didn’t feel like clearing more branches but will come back soon to backpack out and camp overnight. As for wildlife, we saw swarms of a dark blue bird with white breast (gonna say tree swallows), a tricolor heron in the distance chasing fish, dozens of great egrets squawking in a distant pond, buzzards overhead and we heard an osprey. Crabs, spiders and dragonflies too! It’s a great way to start the New Year!

p..s.This trail is near Flamingo, NOT Ochopee!

I hiked this trail to the very end, and LOVED it. We camped overnight as well. Easily one of the most unique trails on the continent.

Photos here:

Tuesday, March 07, 2017

Deep water and mud most of the trail, lots of mosquitos, you'll want a head net and sleeves. Bring plenty of water, the prairie is exposed to the hot sun.

Monday, January 30, 2017

Trail was easy and flat except the swarms of mosquitos, the rain, thick mud, wind, and the 150 meters of waist deep water and mud awaiting is just before Clubhouse Beach. We stayed the night and woke to a very cold, wind sweeping rainstorm. Challenging trail and we have no regrets. Beach was beautiful and so was the flora. This was a one time affair. No desire to do it again.

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Tremendous views, great diversity and wonderful wildlife. Come in the winter...and still bring the bug spray.

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Fun to see alligators in their natural habitat.

paddle sports
Monday, July 13, 2015

Go in the cooler months and make sure you are prepared for the bugs mosquitos they are every where. Everglades is a different place and it is very beautiful. I think the best way to enjoy this park is to get out on the water.

Tuesday, March 03, 2015

An easy walk until you are almost at the ocean. There are some mud that you have to pass before getting to the beautiful beach. The tree and plants along the way are very nice. I would recommend .

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Avoid the heat and annoying bugs /hike here during the cooler months (late Oct- Feb). If u prefer the heat then its a great place for u take lots of water and bug spray.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Lots of interesting trees and plants along the way. This trail is very flat and easy, but it can be muggy and buggy. We saw some pretty gnarly spiders and encountered a few swarms of flies and gnats. You can look out across the water at the southern tip of Florida and see a few Keys.

Thursday, October 13, 2011

This is not an all-season trail as during the summer salt-marsh mosquitoes will descend on you in clouds.

Saturday, February 04, 2017