Cayo Costa Loop Trail [CLOSED]

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(16)
Cayo Costa State Park

Cayo Costa Loop Trail is a 2.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Boca Grande, Florida that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is good for all skill levels and offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.5 miles Elevation Gain: 9 feet Route Type: Loop

paddle sports

beach

closed

It has been reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information. Cayo Costa is a beautiful island, accessible only by boat. There is a ferry service, the Tropic Star, that makes multiple trips from Pine Island to Cayo Costa. There are multiple trails throughout the 2,426 acre park, not to mention just walking on the white sandy beaches along the Gulf of Mexico.

Thu Mar 29 2018

Went in June and would NOT recommend that time of year. The heat was unbearable. However, if the weather had cooperated, or perhaps if we had gone in the spring or winter, I'd recommend 100% Great place to get off the grid without REALLY diving deep into the backcountry. Click here for our short video from our trip. https://youtu.be/qzqa5LaQ2t4

Thu Apr 13 2017

No roads, only access by boat. Once there be prepared to walk 'cause there ain't no other way to get around. Enough campsites to go around and the gulf side beach was great. Amenities are basic at best.

Fri Mar 31 2017

You can kayak to see manatees, and dolphins are sited often. Hermit crabs and shells galore. Alligators, snakes, wild pigs, this place is abundant with wildlife. I've only been during April. No mosquitos, but biting flies (no-seeums) come out about 5 pm till morning. Wear long sleeves and pants and tube socks of a light color (they are attracted to dark colors). And spray 100% deet overtop. Trust me, they will eat you alive. This April will be my third time spending a week here. If it rains heavily, the main swimming area is brackish and murky from the overflowing lagoon. We bring rafts because its kinda scary to swim when you can't see. One year we went and the water was so clear we could see 8 feet to the bottom. This is place is amazing, and has become our spring break family tradition.

Mon Jun 20 2016

The park was nice. Ranger and Volunteer were nice (a little on the sarcastic side though). The bugs are NOT tolerable. We paid and planned a nice 3 day trup that lasted one day.

Sat Aug 15 2015

We've been here several times while cruising on our sharpie ketch. Wonderful anchorage, gulf beach walks, shelling and swimming as well as coastal bird watching.

Thu Feb 05 2015

One of my favorite places with my classmates studying coastal marine ecology. This island is beautiful, and holds so many wonders that go unseen at first glance.

Fri May 09 2014

one of my favorite places. can't help but relax . no electricity or hot water so bring a solar shower for extended stays. great way to reset your biological clock.

Wed Jan 23 2013

Absolutely wonderful island to get away from the hustle and bustle of society. Stayed in a tent and heard wild boars poking around our campsite in the middle of the night! It was a blast

Wed Apr 18 2012

Beautiful but I recommend you go in spring or autumn

Tue Apr 10 2012

This is a semi primitive camping area where your only activity is relaxing on the water. You can go fishing, swimming or reading a book. I highly recommend to go during spring or autumn and also to stay in a cabin. there is no shade in any of the camping spots and no electricity in the park. Your only way to get there is by boat, so book the boat first and then the spot. I enjoy very much the calm warm waters and empty spaces.

Sun Aug 22 2010

You can only get there by boat. An island with no development, just nature.

Thu Apr 18 2019