Cary State Forest Preserve Trail [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(28)
Cary State Forest

Cary State Forest Preserve Trail is a 8.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bryceville, Florida that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 8.1 miles Elevation Gain: 22 feet Route Type: Loop

ohv / off road driving

closed

This trail is experiencing full or partial closure due to COVID-19. Please see the open trails nearby for alternate hiking options. As of March 2020, the vehicle trail is closed.

As of 29 Feb 2020, the vehicle trail is closed. The campsites seem nice, with new concrete pads and 50/30/20 amp electrical service. 3 star rating based on being neutral without the trail being open.

ohv/off road driving

Small but a few challenging mud holes I may need a lift for.

ohv/off road driving

I really had fun driving on the dirt roads.

This is a dirt road through pine scrub, so kind of monotonous and not much shade. I imagine it gets hot, but fortunately it was cloudy when I went and the temperature moderate. Roads were wet when I went.

I heard the north trail is the one to avoid if you don’t have anyone with a winch or recovery straps. Can anyone confirm this? I’m planning on going alone next weekend and really don’t want to get stuck lol

Mon Jan 21 2019

I came in on pavilion road since the gate was closed for this trail when I went this weekend. My son and I were camping. The campground is very nice but spartan. For large groups tent/roof top tent camping, space 7 is very reasonable and can hold many vehicles and tents. The track I took was fire tower road past the ranger station to big oaks and turned left. This section is pretty easy and only a bit of mud. Once we got to hog trap road we turned right and this is where it got fun and lots of mud. We took it to north boundary road and came back since we needed to setup camp and my tent is on my truck. Unfortunately I did not take any pictures of the trails, but here are a few of the campsite.

Tue Jan 01 2019

Great fun day. North boundary trail was a bit scary thought we were going to tip over. But we made it and had a blast. Will be back

Sat Jul 14 2018

Nice footpath.

Sat Jun 09 2018

Explore Moro of this Park yesterday!! Had a blast!!!

Sun Apr 22 2018

Best trails for off roading so far in north Florida!!!! I had blast for 2 hrs!!! Moderate level!!!

Thu Mar 22 2018

We took the horses and had a great time! Park the trailers in the grass near the information sign. The road splits there - trails to the right were muddy and not great, but trails to the left were perfect! They connect up to a power line road, plenty of room and safe, solid trails to even do some trot/canter sets to get the horses in shape. It was nice and dry and free of mud. Will definitely be going back. Would be great to take the dogs too!

Mon Jan 01 2018

Mostly 2x4 trails with places you can go and use 4x4. I went in a rubicon Jk with another Jk. Never got stuck but definitely left muddy. I went after it rained in January. On the map it shows a straight line but plenty of trails to keep you company.

Mon Jul 31 2017

Went on a run there with 2 friends. The trail/ fire road could be marked a bit better. Pretty area to run. Bring bug spray. I recommend taking a picture of the map before you go out so you can hopefully see where you turn etc.

Sat Dec 24 2016

I went on a Tuesday after the rain in a Subaru Crosstrek AWD. Little to moderately bumpy road, not a lot of puddles but a lot of spots where puddles can be and making driving fun and messy. Make sure you have enough gas to adventure down the many roads. Overall, I had fun and will be going back to go down the roads I missed.

Fri Feb 20 2015

Beautiful wooded area. Trails are extremely well marked. The dirt and gravel roads are great, but the deep-woods trails may flood out after rain.

Tue Jan 14 2014

0300, my alarm goes off, I just married my wife yesterday and today she had to fly out of JAX. I drive her down and left the airport and made it to the trailhead with an hour before sunrise. I ate a breakfast on the camp stove and waited for day to break. The sound of the wind racing through the treetops was all I could hear. As day started to break I noticed a very clean and neat trail and started my hike. I only found a few traces of trash and very few human foot prints. Although coyote or feral dog prints were all about. I saw a spike and two does. Near the end of the hike I came across the equipment sheds for the troopers and inspected from afar to only see one old man napping in a truck while a light rain fell. I left the trail for a little while to build a small shelter for fun (see if you can find it). Overall I thoroughly enjoyed this hike and will return. Thank you to the troopers who maintain these lands and trails, great job guys.

Sat Feb 09 2019