Florida Scenic Trail Segment: Burnt Grocery Creek

Florida Scenic Trail Segment: Burnt Grocery Creek is a 4.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Harold, Florida that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

There is a pulloff on the side of the road at the trail head, or part at the Harold Store and walk across the I-10 overpass.

Awesome trail

Trail is starting to get more vegetation growing on it. The first time I walked this trail 4 months ago it had been recently maintained, and it is amazing to see how fast the native flora is growing back. The pine tree saplings have nearly doubled in size! But it is still passable and navigable for a 5 mile out and back. After which, at Deer Lake road the forest has taken back over the trail and thick low growing vines with vicious thorns claw at your legs.

There are blue blazes on trees to mark the trail once you are past the boring, spiderweb ridden first half mile of pine trees, and you usually have at least one blaze in sight at all times. I have cell service for this entire trail, so if you are not confident in the blazes just whip out your phone with this app and follow my previous tracks in real time. The last poster seems to have just followed the forest service roads and not the actual trail.

Great trail to get away from people and let the pup stretch her legs. No bear or bear sign sighted this time. Just one extremely ambitious armadillo.

If you're looking to see animal tracks this is the place to go. I'm learning more of them as I go. Their previous author is correct there's no parking at the trailhead, and I did just park on the side of the road. But it made me nervous. I like the idea of parking back at Harold's. Really there was so many tracks it was unbelievable in the sand. And you won't see anybody. I thought maybe on the day of the eclipse a few people in there. But then again it was lightning and I did leave a little earlier than I planned. The trails are not well marked as the other author said. I really couldn't figure anything out on my GPS. Next time I'll get the real map which is on sale at Harold's

Well maintained

Long winding trail. Not maintained... Sad

Interesting trail- It's a side trail of the Florida Scenic Trail. I Parked along the road at the trailhead, but if you are looking for some security for your vehicle you should park at the Harold Store across I-10. The first 0.6 miles is through a young pine tree plot that was re-planted just a few years ago. But once you get through that it drops down into the trees and runs along burnt grocery creek. I did not see another human footprint, so it seems this trail is rarely if every traveled. Because it is part of the Florida trail, this trail doesn't ever really end, its just a matter of how far you want to hike out. It eventually drops down to the Yellow river and then runs east/west along that. Because there is little human traffic, I luckily sighted a bear that seems to find this trail home currently. Lots of fresh bear signs including tracks, scat, and tree scrapings. It was a single bear that had no interest in meeting me. If you are feeling adventurous and want to spend the day hiking away from anyone but bears, hit this trail up. Most of the part that I hiked was down in a ravine covered with a thick canopy of hardwoods, so there was plenty of shade after that first 0.6 miles.