Bulow Woods Hiking Trail

Bulow Woods Hiking Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ormond Beach, Florida that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Directions from Ormond Beach, FL: Travel approximately 5 miles north along Old Dixie Highway to reach the southern entrance. Trail begins from the main parking lot.

I am new to trails but loved the twist and turns. The shade was awesome as we got a late start, but amazing views.

Welcome to "Jurassic Park". Haha. Fun single track through the Jungle. Lots of roots in one spot, but overall very cool trail.

Great hike! 13 miles.
Begun at the Southern end and walked it back after reaching the Bulow Creek Plantation Ruins entrance. Definitely signs of wildlife such as deer, armadillo, raccoons, woodpeckers, etc. We pretty much did the Bulow Creek Hiking Trail, Wahlin Trailn, Fairchild Oak Trail, Pond Observation Trail and Hammock Trail all in one go.
We did step off the main trail in between Walter Boardman Rd and the power lines to go climb a tree (we do that often for some reason) and got lost in the thick palmetto brush. Good times!
The trails are very well shaded by the canopy but honestly, isn't very scenic. Some great spots to maneuver between fallen trees, chill at some nicely built boardwalks overlooking some flora and is a little muddy at the beginning. Heard about gators and snakes, saw none.
Either way, good time out there, very well marked trails and definitely recommended.

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Friday, May 13, 2016

Tuesday, May 03, 2016

the North side of the bike trail was quite rooty. my gf wrecked but was ok. I saw gators, armidillos and a deer. very pretty

Thursday, March 03, 2016

Sunday, January 10, 2016

I traveled from North Florida looking for trails to hike with my dog. I was a bit thrown off at first by the residential neighborhoods surrounding the area including inside the state park. However, once we found Fairchild (make sure this is where you park) the trail was not crowded a bit. Typical Florida trail, flat, a little muddy, but some lovely scenery. Some swampy scenic area the first mile, a marsh second mile, a small stream past the third mile. We saw some tortoises & beautiful wetland birds. I took the trail in January so no problem with bugs! Enjoy!

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Found this beautiful place while on a beach vacation. I can only handle so many days of staring at the surf with a beer in hand, so I did a little searching and tackled this trail on a muggy Florida day. Amazing trail, swampy and primordial. The flora was spectacular--huge live oaks in every direction, interspersed with swamps and scrubland. I truly felt transported to a pre-human era. Such a wonderous place, although the 5 or 6 huge black snakes I saw along the trail creeped me out a bit! Don't do this trail if you don't like reptiles!

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

This is a great trail that will take you through some "Real Florida." Start at the Fairchild Oak and hike through to the Bulow Plantation Ruins State Park. The trail will take you through pine forest, oaks, and along salt water marshes. We saw some ibis and a couple of wood storks. We hiked this in mid-February and there were no bugs but be prepared for some muddy hiking along the salt marshes. Also, if you're planning on checking out the plantation ruins at the end of the hike, make sure you have $4 in cash to pay the entrance fee. No cards accepted, exchange change only at the self-pay station. There is a shortcut that will shorten the overall length by about two miles, but I recommend the full trail for at least the trip to the ruins.

Monday, April 20, 2015

This makes a nice hike for a day when you're up for covering substantial distances, but want the trail conditions relatively easy. Yes, there will probably be some muddy and puddly stretches near the trail's north end, and yes you'll probably want insect repellent, but, well, this is Florida after all! We hiked this one as a there-and-back (about 13.5 miles) and found it a pleasant break from the Florida Trail sections we'd hiked inland earlier in the week--those were wilder and more remote, which is great, but they're often challenging to follow, and when they're flooded they're really, reeeaaally flooded. If you want to hike this as a there-and-back, I'd suggest starting from the south end (Bulow Creek State Park, which is free), where there are toilets and some beautiful old live oaks to gaze at as you gulp your drink before hitting the trail. There's a small free trailhead parking area at the north end, too (Bulow Plantation Ruins Historic State Park), but don't count on wandering beyond it unless you plan to pay to tour the ruins--they're very strict about that. There's good birding in the canopied stretches of the trail, lots of lovely old-growth oaks and magnolias, and some interesting ferns and cycads as well. FloridaHikes.com has a decent trail description and map: http://floridahikes.com/bulowcreek.

Monday, April 20, 2015

We hiked this trail, starting at the Fairchild oak. It was canopy covered with oak trees. We followed the yellow blaze markers all the way to the plantation ruins. We battled deer flies and spider webs most of the way. Thankfully, no mosquitoes. The closer we got to the ruins it became quite flooded and mucky! It was an adventure. The only wildlife we seen was a tortoise. My advise, take lots of water. Don't think your going to replenish your water supply at the plantation ruins because the water coming out of the fountain there is horrible. It is brown and salty. I'm sure it's straight from the river.

Thursday, March 26, 2015

my wife and I biked this trail on the packed down parks it's was a nice ride but the mud sections were terrible all in all a nice ride

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Decent cardio trail. No elevation points. It's geared more towards trail running and hiking than mountain biking. Lots of roots and unstable ground. Gets quite muddy at the northern side. It's quite overgrown at parts but small enough not get off course.