Learn more

Black Island Trail is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bonita Springs, Florida that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.7 miles Elevation Gain: 16 feet Route Type: Loop

beach

fee

This is a 2.6 mile trail in Lover's Key State Park. There is an entrance fee of $8 per vehicle or $2 per pedestrian. The trail follows the canals and has three shortcuts along it. Shortcut 1 will cut the trail to 1.2 miles, shortcut 2 to 1.8 miles, and shortcut three to 2.2 miles. Swimming is not allowed in the canals.

trail is OPEN

Loved going to this trail for the first time! Brought the dogs with and they loved it too. Plenty of rest stops, plenty of areas to splash in the water if needed. Would definitely go back again!

Go to second parking lot and that’ll bring you straight to the trail head. Some shaded parts some full sun exposure. Dog friendly, but no trash cans on the trail so be ready to carry it if needed. Some sandy parts so wear proper shoes.

Great Trail, it is a short walk to the beach. Great Manatee watching during the winter down here! Awesome for kids, lots of shade! Pick up after your dogs and keep them leashed please.

Nice trail. Fairly easy walk. Well maintained. Shady.

I recommend this trail. It was nice to get the pup out for exercise. And much of the trail is shady so it helps if you’re not an early riser. I definitely recommend taking the bug spray.

Sat May 18 2019

Serene, lovely park, then go to the ocean.

Sun Apr 28 2019

This is a very well marked trail the runs along the water. Mostly exposed to sun but there are patches of shade. Places to sit and snack or just chill. Short cuts are provided along the way as well.

Wed Apr 17 2019

Its an OK trail at best. Was hoping to see more wildlife or at least a gopher tortoise but guess they were on vacation as well cause there were none around. Its a flat fairly wide wide trail so is an easy hike but you do spend a fair amount of time in the sun and even in early April it was HOT so plan accordingly. Not one I would do again considering the $8 park entrance fee.

Sat Mar 23 2019

Fun trails for both hiking and biking which takes you thru some shady sections of the trails, some benches with overhead shelters right along the intercoastal waterways.

Sat Mar 02 2019

great trail for a nice walk , great for dogs, a great water views, you can see owl , fish. manatee, dolphins, gators, ponson, turtles ,

Wed Jan 02 2019

Nice trail. Entered on North end of the park and took service road to make it closer to a 4 mile hike. Nice water views. Saw a beautiful gopher tortoise along the way. Worth a try.

Mon Nov 19 2018

This is a cool little “Florida hike” meaning that it’s mostly flat, and has tons of views of water. Tons of Florida plant life and animals along the trail. Plan for the longest route because some of the “short cuts” weren’t maintained at all, and one part of the trail was flooded so my group and I had to walk along the side in some tree/brush area.

Sat Oct 06 2018

Great path. Super quiet. Lovers Key is beautiful.

Fri Aug 31 2018

Beautiful area but we tried to take our dogs and there are numerous alligators close to the trail. Not worth walking the whole thing, after the second sighting we turned back.

Mon Aug 20 2018

My boyfriend and I were in Fort Myers and didn’t have much to do for the day. Prior to hitting the beach we decided to get on this app and look a for nearby trail. Found this one. It was great and exactly what we were looking for. Short. Easy. And great for us 2 to just walk and talk. Walked the entire trail, no shortcuts. Took us about 2 hours. Great photo opportunities as well. Not a lot, but the few we took are nice.

Fri Jun 22 2018

Very poorly marked along the trails myself and three other couples none of us which came together Got extremely lost signs are too far in between very hard to find parking lot once you’re on trail got lost and run out of water with my dogs I was very upset also woman at the front entrance was rude and acted very Unwelcome and when I brought my dogs even told me to turn around and take them to the dog beach down the road

Tue Apr 24 2018

We saw lots of wildlife including gopher tortoise, alligator and many birds, take lots of water, it was hot!

Sat Mar 17 2018

The trails here are easy, soft, and sandy. Some parts are very pretty by the water. I ran in the afternoon and it was hot, I’d go in the morning next time.

Fri Nov 24 2017

A nice Florida trail, easy but we saw a few manatees. It was quiet and serene. Exactly as expected in Florida.

Thu Feb 02 2017

Nice walk with plenty of wildlife viewing opportunities

Tue Jan 10 2017

Nice place for a walk, some bird watching and lots of geckos. $8 entrance for a car.

Sun Jul 10 2016

it was nice...near the beach. didn't see any thing... maybe a bird. if already at lovers key beach...it's a nice little walk with shade. i probably won't go back. did it done it... pretty but was a little bored. very easy to walk. a few different access points.

Sun Jun 26 2016

pretty but hot this time of year...

Sun Apr 03 2016

We loved the trail! We were able to take our dog on the leash, and go for a nice breezy walk. It was a different scenery than what other SWFL trails have to offer. Parking was $8 for my husband and I to enter the park, but I'd say money well spent. We will definitely be back! Next time we will pack a picnic lunch!

Tue Nov 10 2015

Great. Nice views of the water and paddlers. Saw some wildlife and alligators also.

Sat May 23 2015

Black Island Trail and Eagle Trail are located within Lovers Key State Park. The trailhead is located approximately .25 mile east of Lovers Key Beach --- consistently rated as one of the best beaches in the United States. The full loop of the Black Island trail system is 4.5 miles, but 3 separate shortcuts are available that will cut some distance off this total. Eagle Trail connects to Black Island on the north end and adds an additional 1.5 miles of trail for those wanting extra distance. Be sure to keep a watchful eye out for the occasional alligator along the trail system. More common early in the morning as they have a tendency to come out of the brush to sun themselves in the open areas. Also, tons of bluejays and cardinals can be found on the southern end of Black Island trail.

Wed Jun 12 2013

Very hot! If hiking in the summer, go early or start in the evening. We were able to see a tortoise, a couple black racers, and a shark. Definitely a good hike.