Black Creek Ravines Hike

Black Creek Ravines Hike is a 4.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Middleburg, Florida that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from October until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Visiting near Jacksonville and Trail app directed me here. Met some hikers finishing up and recommended white/yellow trails. Nice trails meandering in woods/along creek. Easy hike with a mixture of sand and pine floors.
Evidence of horses, nice wide trails. Plenty of room for animals and man
These trails were tucked away and glad I found it on the Trails app

One of my favorite trails in the area. I find it scenic especially near the Black Creek area but also at different times of year as the foliage changes—not so much colors but new growth, falling, etc. almost always see deer

It was a nice hike. Started at the parking lot under the power lines and followed the trail back to the creek. It was hot and sunny, 95. I would say most of the trail is shaded/partially shaded. Trail was wide most places, but sandy. The inclines/declines was a plus. We stopped to take pics at the spur leading to the creek. Almost a tragic mistake. After I took the pic, looked down, and saw a snake out of the corner of my eye. It was a coral snake about 3' away from us. It wasn't aggressive, just kind of slithering in our direction. Used a trekking pole to redirect it, and it went right back from where it came. Overall, it was nice. Just a typical NE Florida hike.

My two grandsons (14 and 9) and I took the path indicated by the map posted at the top of this article. The "connector" between the two loops goes along a power line. It's an easy hike (but take lots of water in the summer) with some changes in scenery as you get near the water. There's no real access to the creek along this trail

We hiked at mid-day, so we didn't see much wildlife apart from, maybe, 500 skinks and small lizards. We did find a hatched snake/tortoise egg and some bobcat, raccoon, and deer prints.

Some of the other maps posted here show a trail off to another point of the creek that has a campsite, I think. I'll check this out if I go again.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Great walk saw two baby fawns down by remote camp site, about a mile from start I followed a grayish/black bobcat for about a 100 yards, of course when I got my camera out it heard me and off it went..

Sunday, February 26, 2017

Nice quiet hike with the potential for like 10 miles. There are porta-potties right near the entrance and a few campsites scattered around. It's not exactly remote, there are houses and power lines visible from most of the trails, but I actually really enjoyed walking along the power lines. If you're quiet you can actually hear the electricity, which is weird and cool. There's a lot of sand though, as other people have said, and it definitely tires you out a lot faster.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Pretty fun.

Monday, June 20, 2016

nice walk. lots of animal tracks. big gopher turtle and red headed woodpecker confirmed sightings.

Sunday, May 22, 2016

it was sandy. i rode my bike on it but its posted not to. nice workout but not to difficult.

Sunday, January 03, 2016

Really nice trail. Only did a quick loop of the white trail. Reminding people though that dogs have to be on leash and you have control of your dog. Had a dog run up on me and my puppy. His owners walking a good distance behind. He was technically on leash, but just dragging it behind him.

Monday, August 17, 2015

Trails are sandy, like most in Florida, so you'll probably tire faster than you would otherwise. If you want some extra distance, take the white trail to the red and/or yellow trails too. The primitive campsite at the end of the yellow spur is in an absolutely gorgeous location along the creek. Print a trail map from http://www.floridaswater.com/recreationguide/blackcreekravines/

Monday, February 09, 2015

Well maintained. Some walking under power lines, but enough more in the woods to make up for that. We were able to walk all trails, doubling back only twice, and make nearly ten miles. Two nice points with a small bench with overlook to the water. The water views definitely make this trail nicer than otherwise.

Saturday, December 20, 2014

Nice clean trails.

Monday, November 11, 2013

Nice, quiet trail overlooking ravine at some points. It was pretty sandy in some areas, and we encountered quite a bit of horse poop, but overall, my boys and I enjoyed this peaceful, short hike.

Monday, January 21, 2013

Nice, quiet and lots of birds. I seen several snakes including a beautiful 12ft rattler. The yellow trail follows Black creek for a little, but some power line walking.

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Went with family and dog. Nice trail. Nice view of a ravine.

Friday, September 14, 2012

Well maintained trails. Well marked a little wet at times

recorded 1st Hike RAM/JG