Black Bear Wilderness Area Trail

Black Bear Wilderness Area Trail is a 7.3 mile loop trail located near Sanford, Florida that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.3 miles Elevation Gain: 29 feet Route Type: Loop

Cool trail. Seen some wild hogs, Pygmy snakes, raccoons, seen hawks and heard some owls didn’t see them. Overall was so fun!

Amazing park

It was muddy but I thought it would be worse because of the rain we had in the past few days. It's a great walk.

geat shaded trail. lots of water. 5 snakes.

fun fun FUN run. well maintained. NO services though.

Very well maintained trail. My favorite parts were through the cypress swamps/forests and along the St. John’s River. We enjoyed the scenery and wildlife (alligators, birds, butterflies).

we saw 17 pygmy rattlesnakes on or within a foot of the trail this morning including a pair of them mating while a third watched. definitely keep eyes open for snakes between mile markers 7 and 4!

Always a pleasant jaunt and this time was no exception. Took a few newbies along and loved their faces when they had their first ever “pig encounter.”

Great hiking trail and it was awesome to experience it. We went in a counter-clockwise approach to it. It was well defined pathway with mike markers every 1/2 mile. Will definitely hit this trail again,

Hiked 8/24/19. Trail was dry and well-maintained. I have hiked this multiple times, and prefer to go counter-clockwise. Watch out for gators and snakes, both are plentiful here. Lots of shade here makes it tolerable even in the Florida summer.

Perfect. Fun a lot

Beautiful trail. The trees are high enough that they create arches that give shade. You will walk through short bridges, tree roots, mud, and narrow prices of ground. It feels like you’re out in the woods. I want to go back again

One of the few Seminole. County hikes that stay high and dry (mostly) through the rainy season. Always a favorite. Took an experienced New England hiker along. The cypress , baby gator sighting and jungle sounds made for a fun experience.

Beautiful with lots of wildlife...very clearly marked and maintained....cooler as you get near the Sr. John’s River. Make sure you take lots of bug spray.

Great trail for just wanting to get away. Wasn’t much to see but still beautiful. Will definitely come back.

We took our two dogs on this trail and my conclusion is it was about two miles too long for them in a Florida summer. This trail is really beautiful and had been on my wishlist for some time. We saw lots of butterflies and about 4-5 wild pigs — no alligators, bears or snakes. We loved all the sounds from bugs, frogs and birds in our background. We prepared ourselves by bringing plenty of water, a snack and wore bug spray. The trail didn’t seem muddy per se, but we had a bunch stuck to the bottom of our sneakers. Thankfully all the tree roots were a good way to scrape it off. It took us 3.5 hours.

Loved this trail! Took my dog out for a hike and we loved every minute of it! Great area to view all sorts of Florida wildlife.

Love this trail! This well-traveled trail was super interesting ... some trails were open and easy with others being very twisted with large roots protruding from the ground. The trail follows part of the St Johns River, which provided a very pretty and relaxing walk. We saw a wild turkey and loads of birds and butterflies. Bears, deer, bobcats, otters, raccoons, and foxes are also found out here.

This is a pretty decent trail for Florida. The mosquitoes are no joke at certain times of year even with bug spray. I saw pygmy rattle snakes my first time here as well as many others it seems so use caution. They were right on the trail. I did also see a black bear once.

Great Trail, saw Otters and Gators and all types of Birds, really good Hiking