Black Bear Wilderness Area Trail [CLOSED]

Black Bear Wilderness Area Trail [CLOSED] is a 7.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Sanford, Florida that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

closed

Great hike! Well maintained. A little busy. Lots of wildlife.

It’s reopened! And one of my favorite trails, hiked it many many times, always good for wildlife too

OPEN! One of my favorite Florida trails. Usually go backwards (take a left at the fork on the first boardwalk) this way you end the hike along the breezy St. Johns.

reopened a of 12/13

Closed

Park is closed. November 2017

This park is closed. October 2017

I drove out there today to go but it was closed. I hope it will be open again soon.

Love this trail. I always go back to front because I like the elevation you have to take to continue the trail!.. best trail i have found around here by far and its a great trail for my dog too. Be careful of all the water though, a lot of it is yucky green algea and im sure there may be gators somewhere being so close to St. John!

Great hidden trail

Beautiful scenery lots of spiders. Made the mistake at first not using bug spray so had to leave and go get that.

Great technical trail. Well marked .

Nice trail with a couple of pretty scenic view spots..this is my second time doing it but now in rainy season its a whole different ball game be prepared for mud and bugs..even though, with small preparations its a trail well worth doing.if you wanted to do a shorter jaunt you can take the straight forward route out and back

Really enjoyed this trail. Hiking boots are a good idea especially during rainy season. Lots of wildlife and good photo opportunities. 7 miles makes it a good morning exercise trail too.

This is an absolute Gem of a trail, with a texture that feels more North Carolina than Florida (texture being what's under your feet not elevation changes). Canopied in it's entirety, I did it on a July afternoon and found the peeks at the St John's, the gator creeks that ran alongside, the occasional hawk, raccoon or snake that crossed or flew over the trail and the root infested narrowness to be a great getaway inside the sandy suburban sprawl that Seminole county tends to be. Saw no evidence of a bear - they probably find better food sources in the nearby subdivisions. Difficulty? The moderate is mostly about the footing (don't do it in sneakers and bring a hiking pole for balance) and the length might put it there- otherwise I'd peg it more toward easy and place it squarely in the gotta do column.

I really loved this trail. But I went alone, so when I say the Pygmy rattlesnake, I panicked and turned around.

Great trail for hiking and even biking. Amazing sights, but bring bug spray and keep moving!!

Only did 3 miles total but was a great hike. Looking forward to do the whole loop next time

Long review, but thorough. This trail was so much fun! We saw many beautiful birds, squirrels, a sea otter and a mama alligator with two babies. It's a whole 7.21 miles of very different vegetation as you move along, holes, trees, and root-y and rough grounds. Although there were no rolled ankles here, you might want to choose a sturdy with great support shoes, or hiking boots. I had running shoes on and I was fine. Bug spray is a must! We had a camelbak with water, and two protein bars, so that helped us walk the whole thing (not the most experienced with trails).
Right at the starting point you can choose left or right. If you choose right, the trail will be rough with many trees. Left, however, starts with a straight path, lined up with trees on the side and a creek, the ground is smooth with leaves and pebbles. We didn't know the difference, since it's a circle we would end up at the same place.. so we randomly picked right. It was a great choice because we got to rest our legs once we finished the circle on the smoother part of the trail.
There are no breaks, a few people walking... other reviews said that once you start you can't go back, but yes you can. I DONT RECOMMEND BRINGING DOGS ON LEASH. I did not see the primitive campsite, only where the boats were parked and children playing. There are no bathrooms along the way, and the wild life is pretty active to squat. Overall, I would definitely do it again!!