Learn more

Black Bear Wilderness Area Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(802)
Sanford, Florida

Black Bear Wilderness Area Trail is a 7.3 mile loop trail located near Sanford, Florida that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.3 miles Elevation Gain: 29 feet Route Type: Loop

great!

the trail is great! shady for the most part, full of creatures on a simple circled route. dont forget to bring bug spray!

Nice trail. Wasn't too hot because there is a lot of shade. Wear good hiking shoes if your doing the whole trail. Regular running shoes aren't going to cut it.

One of the better trails I have been on in Florida, definitely bring lots of water. It is shaded for the majority of the trail. Saw lots of Alligators, Turtles, and Snakes

This trail was nothing like I expected. It’s was so much more! 1st day I went I was amazed at how shady it was. Saw ppl with their dogs, which then made me feel better about bringing mine along. That’s exactly what I did the very next day. He loved it! The miles aren’t so bad too, I would just say to bring bug spray and lots of water. 7.1 miles and the minute you stop, the mosquitoes attack! New favorite spot!!!

Very nice has a lot of shade, bring lots of water to keep you hydrated.

Fun trail! Lots of tree roots! Definitely on the harder side!

great views of the river, bring plenty of water!

icy

great!

Really great trail. We saw a few alligators, one with a baby on her back, and a pig just moseying around. The offers some great views. There are a lot of tree roots and you need to watch where you put your feet, but that makes it more fun. Moderately trafficked on a Sunday Morning. Bug repellant is a must.

It is very nice trail. Highly recommended. When is hot 94 degrees the trees give a shade. When is rainy is very muddy. I will not hike when is muddy. Because you will fall at least 3 to 5times. Definitely come back in winter time to see how is the trail. Really enjoyed in summer time mosquitoes was out crazy when I hiked. So prepare your bug spray.

great!

A good place for a trail run in Florida. Went around 12 on a Saturday and the parking lot was full, I only got a spot because someone was pulling out. There were some load boats by the river, and it was hot (although I was running at noon in Florida in June, so that's to be expected). Other than those downsides the trail was great!

Great trail for Florida. The shade is continuous along the entire length of the trail. Bring some bug spray, towards dusk we noticed that the insect intensity picked up. Took us about 2.5 hours to finish the loop, with a steady pace and minimal stops. I have not been on a better trail in the state of Florida. I Highly recommend checking this one out for a dry day. The trail has some small slopes (nothing more than 4 to 5 feet) with lots of roots crossing the trail. Our hike was on a dry day, but I can imagine that it would be difficult to navigate the small slopes if the trail was mud instead of hard clay. Great trail.

Trail was bone dry after a week of no rain.

Hard to believe this trail is so close to a heavily populated area and it’s very quiet. I can see why it’s so popular. Unlike most trails in the area, it’s almost completely shaded with none of the usual Florida sand. It loops through a swampy area and eventually along the river but even after a lot of rain it’s high enough to avoid the wettest areas, sometimes along a boardwalk. There was a little bit of mud in spots but very manageable.

Very nice trail! Saw alligators, pigs, turtles, and lots of birds. Trail was a little muddy but not too bad, hiking shoes much better than sneakers. Bugs were present but not to pesky. Mostly shaded and great views of various ecosystems! Highly recommend!

Took my kiddo out here to spot local wildlife. I figured there would be mud but hadn’t anticipated how bad it would be. Rookie mistake, I should have figured given all the rain we’ve had. My running shoes were severely inadequate trying to get through all the sludge. With a seven year old it took us 4.5 hours to walk the whole thing, though by myself would have been around 3 I think. Saw loads of alligators - will def be back in a few months... more properly outfitted

Good enough, for Florida, to moderately appease my need for wild. I went with two friends around 7am and would definitely recommend doing this in the “cool” of the morning because it got hot and humid fast. The path is very narrow at parts and we encountered several spiderwebs stretched across the way.

Always a great hike! Saw deer, gators, snakes and most of the trail is shaded from the sun.

Nice trail - hiked with two others and a cat along this clearly define trail! Didn’t see any black bears today, but saw plenty of wildlife including some gators and a little pygmy rattlesnake. I like doing this trail “backwards” because it saves the best views for the end and I enjoy counting down the trail markers and it’s 14 numbered boardwalks. Definitely a good amount of mud on the trail but nothing too terrible - probably a bit worse during or after a good rain! It also had some good views of the St. John’s along the way and nice scenery... would recommend it!