Black Bear Wilderness Area Trail

Black Bear Wilderness Area Trail is a 7.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Sanford, Florida that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

By far the best part of this trail is to the right for about 2.5-3 miles Best to hike that far and then return without completing the loop. Saw otters, alligators, wild boar in first 1.5 miles. Pay special attention at electrical station near river for otter and boar. Lots of great river sights. After about 3 miles trail is more rugged with less to see, trail narrower with many roots to trip over

Great trail! Bring water.

Excellent trail! Beautiful sights. Multiple types of terrain.

I think this place is an amazing 7+ mile hike through natural Florida. A variety of different things to see and a nice challenge. Almost a guarantee to see some wildlife and to work up a sweat.

Saw a black bear! The trail lived up to its name. My buddy and I were hiking and taking wildlife photos/videos on 3/1/2017, we spotted the bear around 2:00pm a long a dirt road and power lines. The trail comes to an opening with grass on one side and a chain link fence with razor wire on the other(random). I believe it was between mile marker 5 and 6 (only 2 miles in if you walk the loop backwards). Of course the bear vanished into the tall grass and woods before we could set our gear up. We think it was after the abundance of orange trees that are right in the area.

He was right to the left of mile 6 in the opening.

Use this map: http://www.seminolecountyfl.gov/core/fileparse.php/34/urlt/2015-BBWA-Trail-Guide.pdf

Loved it! Might be my favorite so far.
Definitely a moderate 7.1 mile hike but, we hopped off the trail a couple of times. Heard a bear cub moan, saw a lot of signs of bears and boars and saw deer in a grass patch that is inaccessible, no snakes.
The trail is ridden with roots and mud that gets pretty slippery at times and changes quite a bit. There is a camp area half way in. It is well marked and is pretty scenic at times.
All-in-all, we enjoyed it and will do it again!

This is one of my favorites to return to. It's a beautiful trail to hike and never disappoints.

Did this trail this morning. Finished the whole 7 miles in 2 hours 45 min. The terrain was ALLLL over the place ended up spraining my ankle lol but it was really beautiful.

Fantastic trail with a wide range of sites. Moderately challenging and well marked. A new favorite!

My favorite Florida trail! You really feel you are in the jungle! Walking across the old levees is very cool and the leg by the river has great views. We went clockwise so we ended the trail by the river. Much to our disappointment there was no wildlife but 2 other groups saw and photographed rattlesnakes so watch your step. Primitive hiking spot is very isolated and a neat spot but getting there with a larger pack would be challenging with the roots and the tightness of the trail. Highly recommended, will not disappoint!!