Black Bear Wilderness Area Trail

Black Bear Wilderness Area Trail is a 7.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Sanford, Florida that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This trail was easily the best trail I’ve ever done in Florida. Tons of beautiful scenery. The trail was decently challenging, which was a nice change of pace for Florida trails. Tons of wildlife to see. Plenty of birds, pigmy rattlesnake and about a dozen gators. Great time! I definitely recommend this for anyone who wants to get out and hike!

not sure how only a one star rating got posted on this for me. but trust me, this trail is 5 start all the way

Did this trail today. got a fairly early start. around 830 am. went to the left at the fork and did the part of the trail not by the river first. did not encounter any people until 4 miles in. then started getting populated. by far the best trail I have done on Fla. very well kept and maintained. no chance of getting twisted around and lost. wildlife everywhere. extreme natural terrain. lots of shade, roots and natural road blocks. I enjoyed every minute. took my 4 legged hiking companion and will absolutely do it again

All of the reviews I’ve read are pretty spot on to this trail. Lots of wildlife, lots of tree roots & beautiful scenic views. We saw several gators & snakes. Be cautious if you have your furry friends. Bug spray is a must.

Just finished running this trail. Started at about 10 am Tuesday and only saw two groups of people and one guy who looked like he camped out there. When I got to the fork at the beginning, I choose to go right. This is a loop trail so I'm breaking this into two parts. Since I went right, IMHO, the first half was by far the best part of the trail. I saw baby alligators, birds and squirrels. The trail was really lush, green, and flanked on both sides by water. I kept stopping to take pictures. At one point a flying insect as big as my hand landed on my shirt. After lots of screaming and flailing, it didn't go away, so i had to calmly and bravely remove it from my shirt. Ballsy little bugger!
The second half of the trail was drier and less lush- only a couple squirrels and one angry woodpecker; I didn't take many pictures.
The trail itself is extremely well maintained with fresh bridges and clean trails. There are some big roots and trees to maneuver around, so watch out for those. There are also toe grabbers so watch your step. The trail is 98%shaded, no sunscreen required, but bring water and bug spray. A camera is great.

This was a great hike. We saw lots of toothy critters. One 10’ gator about 2’ off the side of the trail that didn’t move until we almost stepped on it. Keep your eyes open in the early morning as the sun starts to peak through the trees. Most of the entire trail is under the canopy. Can not wait to do it again.

Lots of wildlife!

This is now one of my favorite trails.

Nice trail, however I recommend doing during the week... weekends get pretty busy!

Excellent views. Weekends can start to get busy; only 3 cars Sat AM, but by noon upon departure there was 30 cars in the parking area. This trail write up should be updated as it is not "lightly" traveled. Regardless, well worth a visit. I've noted a few folks recommending to use go clockwise on the loop to have cooler wind by the trails end. Much of the trail is shaded. Just be careful if you tend to fatigue early, as the river edge portion of the trail has more roots and requires more strength/agility.

This trail is beautiful. Wewalked this trail with an 8 year old in about 4 hours on2/3/18. We saw lots of wildlife including birds, snakes, gators. Can't wait to go back.

I hike this trail as often as I get. The wildlife can't be beat. Before hurricane Irma, the playful bears would be out during the day, gators all over the place, even Bob cats and tons of deer and one time and one time only, I was walking with my husband and he grabbed me and pointed to the trail ahead, and about 25ft in front of us was the most beautiful panther walking the trail before us. AMAZING! However, since Irma flooded the area, I've found most animals have been misplaced and haven't returned just yet. But the over all trail is beautiful. Some areas have been washed out from the flood but still easy to pass through. I always recommend this trail to friends and family. Always remember, take nothing but memories, and leave nothing but footprint.

My now hubby proposed to me on this trail on 4/15/2016. I'm glad I had my hiking boots on, some parts are narrow and a bit challenging. Part of the trail rides along the St.Johns River. In summer some parts could be under water, did it in April it was dry. Wildlife is present, birds, otters, snakes, gators, and towards the end of the trail we saw deer as well. I definitely recommend this trail.

Nice walk along the river for a few miles. Easy 3 hour hike

Great hike! Well maintained. A little busy. Lots of wildlife.

It’s reopened! And one of my favorite trails, hiked it many many times, always good for wildlife too

OPEN! One of my favorite Florida trails. Usually go backwards (take a left at the fork on the first boardwalk) this way you end the hike along the breezy St. Johns.

reopened a of 12/13

Closed

Park is closed. November 2017

This park is closed. October 2017

I drove out there today to go but it was closed. I hope it will be open again soon.

Love this trail. I always go back to front because I like the elevation you have to take to continue the trail!.. best trail i have found around here by far and its a great trail for my dog too. Be careful of all the water though, a lot of it is yucky green algea and im sure there may be gators somewhere being so close to St. John!

Great hidden trail

Beautiful scenery lots of spiders. Made the mistake at first not using bug spray so had to leave and go get that.

Great technical trail. Well marked .

Nice trail with a couple of pretty scenic view spots..this is my second time doing it but now in rainy season its a whole different ball game be prepared for mud and bugs..even though, with small preparations its a trail well worth doing.if you wanted to do a shorter jaunt you can take the straight forward route out and back

Really enjoyed this trail. Hiking boots are a good idea especially during rainy season. Lots of wildlife and good photo opportunities. 7 miles makes it a good morning exercise trail too.