Black Bear Wilderness Area Trail

Black Bear Wilderness Area Trail is a 7.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Sanford, Florida that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is an absolute Gem of a trail, with a texture that feels more North Carolina than Florida (texture being what's under your feet not elevation changes). Canopied in it's entirety, I did it on a July afternoon and found the peeks at the St John's, the gator creeks that ran alongside, the occasional hawk, raccoon or snake that crossed or flew over the trail and the root infested narrowness to be a great getaway inside the sandy suburban sprawl that Seminole county tends to be. Saw no evidence of a bear - they probably find better food sources in the nearby subdivisions. Difficulty? The moderate is mostly about the footing (don't do it in sneakers and bring a hiking pole for balance) and the length might put it there- otherwise I'd peg it more toward easy and place it squarely in the gotta do column.

I really loved this trail. But I went alone, so when I say the Pygmy rattlesnake, I panicked and turned around.

Great trail for hiking and even biking. Amazing sights, but bring bug spray and keep moving!!

Only did 3 miles total but was a great hike. Looking forward to do the whole loop next time

Long review, but thorough. This trail was so much fun! We saw many beautiful birds, squirrels, a sea otter and a mama alligator with two babies. It's a whole 7.21 miles of very different vegetation as you move along, holes, trees, and root-y and rough grounds. Although there were no rolled ankles here, you might want to choose a sturdy with great support shoes, or hiking boots. I had running shoes on and I was fine. Bug spray is a must! We had a camelbak with water, and two protein bars, so that helped us walk the whole thing (not the most experienced with trails).
Right at the starting point you can choose left or right. If you choose right, the trail will be rough with many trees. Left, however, starts with a straight path, lined up with trees on the side and a creek, the ground is smooth with leaves and pebbles. We didn't know the difference, since it's a circle we would end up at the same place.. so we randomly picked right. It was a great choice because we got to rest our legs once we finished the circle on the smoother part of the trail.
There are no breaks, a few people walking... other reviews said that once you start you can't go back, but yes you can. I DONT RECOMMEND BRINGING DOGS ON LEASH. I did not see the primitive campsite, only where the boats were parked and children playing. There are no bathrooms along the way, and the wild life is pretty active to squat. Overall, I would definitely do it again!!

One of the best places in Florida! Most trails in southern and central florida are all sand and all sun. Went on a saturday morning and it was pretty populated. Maybe 14 cars in the parking lot but it was more of a local just going on my morning walk kind of vibe. Saw 1 pretty large gator and 2 baby gators sunbathing. Wonderful trail, will go again.

Loved it!!!

Great trail! I found it a little challenging with an ankle injury due to most of the trail sloping and covered in stumps and roots, but it was definitely a good workout. There were a few areas where the trail appears to have washed away. Just hug a tree and continue on, because once you're in, the only way out is to finish. Bring lots of water. I would have liked if there were a port-o-let at the trailhead to use prior to starting the trail, especially seeing I drove 2 1/2 hours to get there. The sloping trail on both sides makes it a little difficult to hop off and find a spot to go. I'll def be going back.