Learn more

Turner River and Halfway Creek Canoe Trails

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(14)
Big Cypress National Preserve
;

Turner River and Halfway Creek Canoe Trails is a 23.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ochopee, Florida that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for birding, canoeing, and whitewater kayaking and is accessible year-round.

Length 23.8 mi Elevation gain 29 ft Route type Out & Back

Photos (36)
Recordings (12)
Completed (30)
R J
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jun 12 2020
Paddle sports

Great trail. Set out at daybreak from the Tamiami road launch site, paddled to the bay and back to Tamiami road, Had to get out a few times to remove down trees blocking the river. Lots of spider webs, it seems as if due to coronavirus the trail has not been used much. Beautiful Lilly’s, bromeliads and swamp apples throughout the first half of the trail. We had the trail to ourselves. Do bring a good bug spray. Do bring the shortest paddles you have as some sections are very narrow. I had to propel my yak by grabbing branches and pulling myself through the mangrove tunnels. Do not bring a long yak as I did, mine is a 15 footer and in some spots it was very difficult to maneuver. Do not go at low tide as some spots are very shallow.

Kevin Sullivan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Mar 02 2020
Paddle sports

Cool freakin' paddle! Heard great things about this and was excited to do it. Good variety of environments; cypress forest, mangrove tunnels, sawgrass marshes. Saw a LOT of birds of all kinds in the sawgrass marsh portion, though this is relatively short bit of the paddle. The second half was less exciting in terms of wildlife and variety, but keep your eye out for the shell mound and def stop. It was way more impressive than what I had read let on, and huge! If the tide is in, you may not be able to see as much of it though. We did this from the Turner River Canoe Launch on Tamiami Trail to Chokoloskee Island in the back. About 10-11 miles I think. Took us a little over 4 hours, but we were moving. We rented a canoe from the Ivy House in Everglades City. When making the reservation with them over email, I felt our communication wasn't super clear, but they let me do the exact route I wanted and were great the whole day. We finished early and they came a picked us up promptly. I recommend them. I was worried we would get lost on the river's many branches, but the GPS on my phone worked fine and we had no problems navigating the river. Just make sure you download the area on Google Maps before you leave as most parts of this have no reception. Also get yourself a waterproof phone case to be safe. I was also worried about the bugs. It was a good breezy day in early March so we had no problem with mosquitos, tho there were a handful of flies that tried biting me in the beginning. Also, the last mangrove tunnel was full of spiders. I think the earlier tunnels have more traffic, and hence more people batting down the webs. This was an annoyance but the spiders don't bite. If you don't think you can do the whole trail an out and back paddle with extra time exploring the sawgrass marsh would probably also be super fun as this area was my favorite due to the many varieties of birds. You'll miss out on the shell mound - but also the spiders - and frankly, I wish we spend more time in the saw grass.. Also check the tide before going out. I was weary of this trip before I did it, but I'm so glad I did.

Walter Conklin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Dec 29 2018
Paddle sports

Departed canoe launch at 9:45AM and reached Gulf Coast Visitors Center at 4:15PM with a 30 minute lunch break. Roughly 12 miles and 6.5 hours. We rode the tide out. Hi 7:53AM, Lo 3:07PM. Very little bugs. Saw wading spoonbills, manatee, water moccasin, kingfisher, and much more before the river opened up. Would recommend trying to get out at Chokoloskee if it's possible to get permission at 'The Fishing Hole' or other location. It would save an 1hr of paddling. We left one vehicle at launch and left a vehicle with canoe trailer at the visitors center. Make sure to have your floatation devices and whistles and a permit just in case. We were stopped a few years ago because we all didn't have whistles and no tour permit, even though we weren't camping.

Gaby Isturiz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarWed Dec 26 2018

Gorgeous but insanely buggy. You should expect this from the Everglades though. I went in December 2016.

Roger Hammer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jun 14 2018
Paddle sports

Keep in mind that it is illegal (and unwise) to leave your car overnight at the trailhead along Tamiami Trail.

Rob Marks
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Mar 26 2014
Paddle sports

My 11 year and I did Turner River in December. Took us 4 1/2 hours. It was amazing. First half has several mangrove tunnels where you need to use arms to maneuver kayak. Directions easy to follow. Saw one person during whole trip. Saw several alligators, including one in front of us swimming towards us. Only downside was hard to find places to park to go to bathroom.

Bill Lewis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Jan 28 2013
Paddle sports

Put in on Tamiami Trail just past Turner River Road. Tight in some areas going thru tunnels in the mangroves. South to Hurdles Creek and East to spend the night on the platforms for camping. Kinda tight had company on the other half. Check tide charts for currents, kinda breezy in the winter but no bugs. 2 day trip out and back.

Denis DuBay
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Feb 25 2020
Hiking
View Denis's Recording
Doreen STEPHENS
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jan 24 2020
View Doreen's Recording
Clay Moegenburg
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jan 19 2020
Hiking
View Clay's Recording
Walter Conklin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Dec 28 2019
View Walter's Recording
Santiago Osorio
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jan 07 2018
View Santiago's Recording
Anderson Wiese
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Jan 16 2017
View Anderson's Recording
Anta Apare
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Oct 11 2016