Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started
Learn more

Big Cypress Bend Boardwalk is a 5.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Ochopee, Florida that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.4 miles Elevation Gain: 19 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

It has been reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information.

This was a beautiful little walk on a well maintained boardwalk. We went there at the end of our day exploring the northern Everglades. It was at dusk and we should have put on mosquito repellent, bur it was so worth it. Enjoy!

closed

After speaking to a local fisherman, he informed me that the main road taking you straight to the boardwalk is still closed from Hurricane Irma. As stated in previous posts, there is a hiking trail (East Tram) prior to the boardwalk that you can take to get there. At this time (August) the trail is flooded, muddy, and INCREDIBLY overgrown. If you still want to venture this way, bring bug spray and wear long pants. I did not make it as far as the boardwalk so I cannot comment on it.

Immerse yourself in the solitude and beauty of Florida swampland with this superb trail. Located in Fakahatchee Strand Preserve State Park, this trail is not to be missed for nature, wildlife, and photography enthusiasts. The trail up to the lake and cabin is a well-maintained, straight shot with limestone underfoot, canopy overhead, and cypress swamp on both sides. Originally, this trail was a tram road used for logging; now, it is a portal to pristine Florida swampland. The true gem of this trail is the lake teeming with alligators, but opportunities for spotting wildlife and wild flowers (depending on the season) persist along the entire length of the trail. In fact, during my last hike there, we had an alligator laying across the trail on the way out. Note that the fishing cabin is private property, so please be respectful. However, there is a picnic table that the owners allow hikers to use as a stop for lunch. The trail continues many miles beyond the lake and cabin, but be aware that it is overgrown and basically a repeat of the previous leg. Additionally, the drive up to the trailhead is along Janes Scenic Drive, which is a treat in itself. I spotted a white-tailed deer and several hawks and other birds on my drive out. Expect plenty of humidity and bugs, especially during the late spring and summer months. I highly recommend bringing bug spray containing DEET (I use a 30% mixture). Although the trail is shaded almost the entire length, it is still a good idea to apply sunscreen as well. As with most trails, this trail is best hiked in the early morning when wildlife is the most active and the temperature is low. Alternatively, the late afternoon provides excellent lighting for photography and relief from the hottest temperatures of the day. I highly recommend stopping at the visitors center, situated at the start of Janes Scenic Drive, to pick up a map and make a small donation. Although staff presence is hit or miss, the volunteers are friendly and knowledgeable, and they maintain a whiteboard where hikers can write down the wildlife they spot along with the date and location. In short, if you want to experience Florida swampland without the crowds, this is the hike for you.

This is a short board walk. Great to see snakes and gators from a distance. Incredible Flora and Fauna. Very sticky and buggy. It was nearly empty on a Monday afternoon in May.

Fri Feb 01 2019

The Big Cypress Bend Boardwalk is a short lovely boardwalk right off highway 41. The hike discussed here is a about a 30 or 40 minute drive away. You would go east on 41 from the boardwalk and turn left on 29. You turn left again to get to the official state park entrance. It is not well marked. If you pass 837 on your right you have gone too far. We stopped in at the park office (with bathrooms) and spoke with the woman working there. She gave us a map and directed us to this hike. You have to drive a ways on a rough dirt road. It was a scenic drive and our rental Nissan did fine. Overall wonderful hike and worth the effort to get to. Lots of alligators! We did it on a Thursday afternoon in late January and we saw just a handful of fellow hikers. Many appeared to be bird watchers.

Sat Dec 22 2018

Great boardwalk, kinda short but that doesnt matter when your surrounded by such beauty!!!

Fri Nov 23 2018

Good place to see lots of gators.

Sat Apr 29 2017

Great trail only wish I didn't forget the bug spray!

Sun Nov 06 2016

Went on a swamp walk and it was the best experience ever. Mike Owen, the biologist, gives a very informative and exciting tour through the swamp, you will see lots of orchids and bromeliads. We felt like explorers . We are hooked and keep coming back for more adventure. The West Main Trail is a great hike. About 2 miles in you will find a little Florida cabin called the Fakahatchee Hilton. It is a private cabin, but you can sit on the porch for a rest. Pack a picknic and sit on the little boardwalk overlooking the gator pond. The REAL Florida experience.

Sat Jan 03 2015

Flat walk swamp all around orchids are great along with more herrings than anywhere I've seen. Really nice walk/hike.

Sat May 10 2014

My husband and I hiked this with our 12 year old daughter. Made it 5 miles. Came across an old boarded up little house with a porch swing. There was a lake behind the house full of gators. we hiked the East trail. Be prepared for a lot of bugs..lol. Bring your bug spray

Thu Jan 13 2011

Pretty much my favorite place in Florida! Every thing from orchids to panthers, I highly recommend a swamp walk I was a little nervous at first but became one of the most amazing things I have ever done!

Tue Feb 26 2019