Banyard Trail and Seminole Trail

Banyard Trail and Seminole Trail is a 5.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Thonotosassa, Florida that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Zephyrhills, FL: Travel six mile south along U.S. Highway 301 to reach the park entrance. Follow the one-way loop park road to any of the three northern parking lots. Trails follow the river bluff.

Definitely worth doing! We called and asked if the Seminole Trail was closed and ranger said it’s open but there are areas that could be impassible. We took the loop to the right toward the primitive camping and got a few miles in and it was quite a bit of standing water. So we turned around and went around the loop the other way to see how far we could get that way. We got pretty far before we hit standing water again and just turned around again. Totaled 7.25 miles. Awesome hike!! Just wish we could have done the whole loop.

Outstanding hike along the Hillsborough River. Saw a gator!

The Seminole section of this trail is closed. Although the Baynard Loop (1.1 mi) section is open. No problem with bugs.

Interesting Flora and well maintained. Take a lunch andd bottle of wine.

Great easy trails with plenary of scenery!! Beautiful blue river teaming with wildlife! I take my kids here all the time, make sure you stay on the trail as the poison ivy was pretty thick. Also pack the bug spray to keep the mosquitoes and sand fleas away and always check yourself for ticks! The play ground, pool, canoe rentals and general store at the center of the park makes for a fun destination for the kids.

Awesome mountain bike riding trails.

I love it !!!

Just got back from this trail. Both loops are flooded, but nothing more than ankle deep. The mosquitoes are horrendous. My nine year old was almost carried away by them. We fully sprayed ourselves down before getting on the trail and they laughed at us.
Well maintained trail, $6.00 at the gate, easy parking if you go early. Nice walking by a river. Take a weight belt so the mosquitoes can’t carry you away!

fun but don't go on these trails when it's in the 90'

Excellent trail! It was well-maintained and very scenic the entire way. I loved walking along the river, which gave some of the best scenery on the entire trail. Saw a few gators and lots of turtles and birds. Definitely a 5-Star trailand I highly recommend this along with the river rapids trail.

Well maintained narrow trail- beautiful path right up next to the river. Lot's of sawgrass. Saw some wildlife.

Thursday, February 15, 2018

Almost 6 miles on the Barnard And Seminole portions of the Florida Trail. Great hiking and real nice Shots of the upper Hillsborough River. Tested the new hammock as well for my upcoming section hike on the AT. Trail is in good condition and very little mud.

Monday, February 12, 2018

Glad I had running shoes on for the longer, duller stretches through the woods. Beautiful stretch along the river and past the rapids. Take your shoes off and enjoy the river, just check for gators first.

Wednesday, January 31, 2018

This was my first solo hiking trail. I did the Seminole trail (moderate). i was a bit nervous whether i would be able to find the trail and follow it. i was very pleased. the trail was clearly marked. there are lots of roots on this trail so make sure you pay attention to where you're walking. I came across a whole nest of large birds (not sure exactly what they were) and spotted a small gator down by the end of the river! the part of the trail along the river is a beautiful hike, the part inland is a bit boring. most of the trail is well shaded. I'd definitely go again!

Saturday, January 13, 2018

Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Loved this trail! So nice and easy and nature filled with a beautiful river!

Sunday, December 31, 2017

Went recently. Seminole trail was a very enjoyable, moderate hike.

Thursday, December 28, 2017

Sunday, December 24, 2017

My favorite area hike. I go about once a month with my two dogs and they love it. Add it to the Rapids Trail and Baynard Trail for a full day. I have seen plenty of gators, turtles, fish, woodpeckers, an owl, tons of other birds, turkeys in the cattle field the trail borders, and even an otter in the small creek deep into the trail. Lots of rutting marks from pigs, but luckily I have not seen any yet. Please remember to pick up after dogs and keep them on leash!

Monday, December 18, 2017

great trail well marked

Saturday, December 16, 2017

great trail nice area just to walk and unwind from a busy work week planning to go again

Saturday, December 09, 2017

One of the nicest place to go for a walk in the Tampa Bay area. Park at the first parking area and walk towards the river. it is about a 1 mile walk between the parking and the suspended bridge. You follow the river and you can see some wildlife. Many gators live along that stretch. When you cross the bridge, you can choose between a roughly one or 3 mile loop. We did the longer loop. It follows the river for the first half. The second half is through the woods. A small stretch was a little soggy.

Monday, December 04, 2017

Hiking

Monday, December 04, 2017

Love this park! We have been here twice now and have done 2 different trails. Not very hard, but beautiful scenery. Nice facilities to have a pic nick. Playground is ok. Bathrooms are clean too. Want to go back with the kayaks.

Friday, September 22, 2017

Beautiful, hot, humid and fun. I'm visiting Florida. So glad I got a chance to visit some pretty hikes with my mom and cousins. We had a good time.
Definitely do NOT bring a stroller. Big mistake

Sunday, July 02, 2017

One of my favorite trails in the Tampa area. Tends to be less crowded than the rapids loop, and offers plenty of opportunities to see amazing plants, fungi, and wildlife. Well maintained.

Thursday, June 01, 2017

We love coming here. We've been twice so far and each time have done two trails. Have seen lots of fish and some alligators. I love being able to bring my dog. The water is beautiful.

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Our best trail yet the river was a welcomed sight and we even saw a couple alligators drifting down the river. Lots of fish and plenty of shade along the way.

Monday, May 01, 2017

This was such a surprise! The river rapids were a nice treat, and the water was so clear!! It's honestly such a gorgeous place
We saw an otter and hundreds of fish... even a few alligators