Whitely Farms Trail

Whitely Farms Trail is a 7.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Newark, Delaware that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Follow trail from the south end of the parking. The trail is well marked. It starts through corn fields and moves into hilly woodlands. Trail is blazed and there are scattered maps. About 1/3 in, you come to a junction near a road. If you wish to cut out 2.3 miles, continue straight rather than crossing to the David English Trail loop. Upon completing the loop, follow the blazes through woods and fields to the tri-valley trail. Turn right and follow the signs to the whitely trailhead.

Better trail than David English with great scenery and variety only marginally marred by extensive bike rutting and not enough foot traffic in several of the grassy crossings.

This trail is pretty good but not great. Firstly this is actually part of White Clay park and thus hase several different trails. As of writing this the trail was listed as lightly trafficked which is incorrect. This trail is a pretty popular mountain biking area. This is not a trail if you are looking for peace and solitude. There is an airport nearby and you can hear traffic and people on adjacent paths talking.

Many bikers are polite but I have heard bikers complaining about walkers on the path and some bikers seem to feel entitled and want you to move for them. Since this is primarily a bike path the trails can be very thin.

Really nicely marked trails. Fun run

had a great time here today . We will definitey be going back .

The trail is great for a brisk walk and open nature, but it wasn’t very scenic. Still a great escape for any Delawarean looking to get out of the house!

Tuesday, September 05, 2017

Not a bad trek. Lots of mountain bikers to look out for

Friday, July 07, 2017

Good

Sunday, January 01, 2017

Great trail for a hike with two dogs. Encountered a lot of mountain bikers and some trail runners. Everyone was very friendly. I wouldn't consider it moderate. It was pretty easy. I did choose this hike because I'm trying to complete the DE State Park Trail Challenge. According to the map and my GPS, I walked the whole trial, but I didn't find the symbol. Awe shucks...guess that means I have to go back :)

Monday, August 15, 2016

Very flat. Great for a solid distance run. Not a very interesting hiking trail, in my opinion.

Wednesday, August 03, 2016

I really enjoyed this trail. I highly recommend it. The majority of the time, the only sounds I heard were those of birds and the wind through the trees. There was the occasional air plane overhead and car driving past (when the trail was near the road) but for most part just nature. I saw a couple other hikers and maybe four or five bikers. The trail was very very peaceful. It is $8 to park for out of state plates and $4 for Delaware plates.

Saturday, June 11, 2016

I would recommend to carry a backpack with water, wear a hat, and have a fully charged phone to track your progress.

Thursday, May 19, 2016

Went when it was a little colder, so there was less traffic. Did about two or three trails that were connected, and they were peaceful and gorgeous. I would definitely go again. Great for trail running, and part of the trail connects to the Mason Dixon Monument, which is quite a treat.

Friday, May 13, 2016

not to hard but the return trip is all up hill

Monday, January 04, 2016

Whitley Farms is a great hike, but I would not consider it challenging, especially not moderate. The connection from Whitley Farms Trail to Tri-Valley Trail is not well marked on the trail itself so look for the street with the crosswalk white marks. That's your connection. DO NOT hike this trail after dark. Its not dangerous by any means, but I encountered a park ranger waiting next to my truck at about 5:30 as I came out of the trail. I showed him my All-Trails app, and that I had been hiking for a few hours, not just loitering around. He wrote me up for being in the park after hours! No fine, but still a hassle to deal with after hiking 9 miles.

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Nice trail with just enough hills. Encountered a fair amount of bicyclists and a few other hikers.

Friday, November 27, 2015

Fun trail. Walked it with my 8 year old and it was a bit long for her but we powered through.

Thursday, November 19, 2015

nice stroll along the creek. took a bad turn up the mountain but recover ed shortly

Thursday, September 03, 2015

Terrific hike, map at the park said the trail was 3.1 miles, but I tracked 3.5 miles. Took me about an hour to hike it and loved the scenery.

Sunday, March 23, 2014

this place was awesome for being in Delaware a flat state. I loved how the trail went from woods to open fields and some pretty good inclines to declines. I liked how they used the down trees to make for riding on and challenging spots. I will def go back here and ride. the park is huge. be aware that they do charge by the car. I think it was like $7.00.

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Great local trail for biking. Me and two friends went today and had a great time. I was very impressed thinking it was going to be very flat but it was just the opposite. Looking forward to returning soon.

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Biked the trail for the first time today and had a blast. Definitely going back many more times. The loop is only 3 miles but there are many other trails to go off on. Great ride.

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Nice trail through hardwood forest and meadows, but hard to get out of the way of the bikes in some spots. It was an easy trail for the dog and I would do it again.

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Did this trail with a 3 year old and 4 year on there strider bikes and a baby in back pack very nice I do most of my hiking in MD VA and to me this trail was mostly flat. Great trail tho. We parked off Thomason rd. and did two of the loops it's a hour drive for me but it was a nice trail we will go back. We saw hikers and bikers all very nice! It's now bow hunting so the hunter were coming in around 3 so we left.