Whitely Farms Trail

Whitely Farms Trail is a 7.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Newark, Delaware and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Delaware forests and fields Follow trail from the south end of the parking. The trail is well marked. It starts through corn fields and moves into hilly woodlands. Trail is blazed and there are scattered maps. About 1/3 in, you come to a junction near a road. If you wish to cut out 2.3 miles, continue straight rather than crossing to the David English Trail loop. Upon completing the loop, follow the blazes through woods and fields to the tri-valley trail. Turn right and follow the signs to the whitely trailhead.

Great trail for a hike with two dogs. Encountered a lot of mountain bikers and some trail runners. Everyone was very friendly. I wouldn't consider it moderate. It was pretty easy. I did choose this hike because I'm trying to complete the DE State Park Trail Challenge. According to the map and my GPS, I walked the whole trial, but I didn't find the symbol. Awe shucks...guess that means I have to go back :)

Very flat. Great for a solid distance run. Not a very interesting hiking trail, in my opinion.

I really enjoyed this trail. I highly recommend it. The majority of the time, the only sounds I heard were those of birds and the wind through the trees. There was the occasional air plane overhead and car driving past (when the trail was near the road) but for most part just nature. I saw a couple other hikers and maybe four or five bikers. The trail was very very peaceful. It is $8 to park for out of state plates and $4 for Delaware plates.

Saturday, June 11, 2016

I would recommend to carry a backpack with water, wear a hat, and have a fully charged phone to track your progress.

Thursday, May 19, 2016

Went when it was a little colder, so there was less traffic. Did about two or three trails that were connected, and they were peaceful and gorgeous. I would definitely go again. Great for trail running, and part of the trail connects to the Mason Dixon Monument, which is quite a treat.

Friday, May 13, 2016

not to hard but the return trip is all up hill

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Saturday, April 23, 2016

Thursday, March 31, 2016

Tuesday, March 01, 2016

Monday, January 04, 2016

Whitley Farms is a great hike, but I would not consider it challenging, especially not moderate. The connection from Whitley Farms Trail to Tri-Valley Trail is not well marked on the trail itself so look for the street with the crosswalk white marks. That's your connection. DO NOT hike this trail after dark. Its not dangerous by any means, but I encountered a park ranger waiting next to my truck at about 5:30 as I came out of the trail. I showed him my All-Trails app, and that I had been hiking for a few hours, not just loitering around. He wrote me up for being in the park after hours! No fine, but still a hassle to deal with after hiking 9 miles.