Whitely Farms Trail is a 7.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Newark, Delaware that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.4 miles Elevation Gain: 682 feet Route Type: Loop

Follow trail from the south end of the parking. The trail is well marked. It starts through corn fields and moves into hilly woodlands. Trail is blazed and there are scattered maps. About 1/3 in, you come to a junction near a road. If you wish to cut out 2.3 miles, continue straight rather than crossing to the David English Trail loop. Upon completing the loop, follow the blazes through woods and fields to the tri-valley trail. Turn right and follow the signs to the whitely trailhead.

I will never be back. Nice place but the people are not. This is a great place if you like almost being hit by people on bikes. I have two small dogs on short leashes and we were almost hit multiple times by people coming down the trails on their bikes. They don’t even slow down when they see you. I hardly had enough time to get my dogs off the trail out of THEIR way. They never say thank you or even look at you when they almost hit you. I am not one to complain but when I came here hoping to have a nice walk and ended up in a worse mood than when I came I had to give a review.

Great trail. Pretty easy to follow. My watch clocked the trail closer to 8 miles than 7.4 miles.

Fun! weekends are kinda crowded though

First time hiking this trail and it won't be the last. Great views and a really calm and peaceful hike. Trails are well maintained and although a little muddy today it was well worth the trip.

I hiked this on a cold sunny Saturday in February. Nice mixture of forest and fields, some hills but all are doable. Mostly nicely groomed but some parts have been heavily eroded by mountain bikers. I wouldn't hike this trail on a nice day in warm weather; way too many kids on bikes (I saw less than 15 bikers on this day,all adults and all were polite and followed trail protocol).

Nice trail. Moderately hilly. Great for hiking, mountain biking and bird watching.

This made for a great hike on a 70 degree day in January. A little mud from rain but overall great balance of shade and openness. We stayed along the orange blazes which according to the trail map in the park is only 3.5 miles. We did it twice to hit the mileage we wanted. Shared the trail with bikers, hikers, & dogs!

recorded Whitely Farms Trail

Test of Airplane mode and walking

ok trail, to many bikes. otherwise trees

Phone didn’t fully record my very quick 1/2 mile walk here before work but it was a very nice walk. Lush serene fields. Only negative is the gravel sounds while walking flushed out any bird that was near. I Did hear American Goldfinches, Mourning Doves and I thought I saw a Junco but it might be too early in the season for them to be around this area. I love any and all White Clay parks!

n i ce

Pretty good overall. Even on an off day you’ll run into bikers; I’d imagine even more on a weekend. There are a few points where the trail is hard to locate especially in the fields sometimes it isn’t well marked. I would definitely do again.

Absolutely glorious

This can be a fun trail if you don't run into too many bikers. Suggest not going on a weekend, as there are many bikes during that time. There is some elevation but it won't wear you out. Pretty in spring and early summer with wildflowers on part of the trail near the meadows.

Thu May 16 2019

Fri Mar 01 2019

Trail is well marked and in great shape. Rolling hills, forests, bridges and streams. Snowy today.

Tue Jan 15 2019

Half decent. Bike ruts throughout the length of every trail. There’s not much to look at, and not much elevation gain. However... for Delaware it’s not bad. When it’s not so muddy I’ll consider running or biking it instead.

Sun Sep 09 2018

Better trail than David English with great scenery and variety only marginally marred by extensive bike rutting and not enough foot traffic in several of the grassy crossings.

Sun Sep 02 2018

This trail is pretty good but not great. Firstly this is actually part of White Clay park and thus hase several different trails. As of writing this the trail was listed as lightly trafficked which is incorrect. This trail is a pretty popular mountain biking area. This is not a trail if you are looking for peace and solitude. There is an airport nearby and you can hear traffic and people on adjacent paths talking. Many bikers are polite but I have heard bikers complaining about walkers on the path and some bikers seem to feel entitled and want you to move for them. Since this is primarily a bike path the trails can be very thin.

Mon Jul 02 2018

Really nicely marked trails. Fun run

Mon Nov 20 2017

had a great time here today . We will definitey be going back .

Thu Nov 02 2017

The trail is great for a brisk walk and open nature, but it wasn’t very scenic. Still a great escape for any Delawarean looking to get out of the house!

Tue Sep 05 2017

Not a bad trek. Lots of mountain bikers to look out for

Fri Jul 07 2017

Good

Sun Jan 01 2017

Great trail for a hike with two dogs. Encountered a lot of mountain bikers and some trail runners. Everyone was very friendly. I wouldn't consider it moderate. It was pretty easy. I did choose this hike because I'm trying to complete the DE State Park Trail Challenge. According to the map and my GPS, I walked the whole trial, but I didn't find the symbol. Awe shucks...guess that means I have to go back :)

Mon Aug 15 2016

Very flat. Great for a solid distance run. Not a very interesting hiking trail, in my opinion.

Wed Aug 03 2016

I really enjoyed this trail. I highly recommend it. The majority of the time, the only sounds I heard were those of birds and the wind through the trees. There was the occasional air plane overhead and car driving past (when the trail was near the road) but for most part just nature. I saw a couple other hikers and maybe four or five bikers. The trail was very very peaceful. It is $8 to park for out of state plates and $4 for Delaware plates.