Trap Pond Loop

easy 59 reviews

Trap Pond Loop is a 5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Laurel, Delaware that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, horses, and canoeing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.0 miles Elevation Gain: 45 feet Route Type: Loop

Tranquil

beautiful park

Very pretty park. Easy trail, but neat to see the cypress trees and beautiful lake. Daily fee for Park is $4 for in state, $8 for out of state.

nice walk with Meg

My first time visiting TPSP. The site is gorgeous throughout. The camp store is small but has everything that you need. Personnel were warm and friendly, very helpful for a first timer... spent some time chatting with them. I stayed at a tent site. The tent sites are walk in only but parking is not very far. The site provided hand trucks and wheelbarrows for you to car your items into your site. I had brought my own wagon which was helpful in keeping some of my gear off the ground during a rain storm. The site I stayed at was clean, level and well appointed; a t bar for hanging trash or a shower pack. Fire pit with grill. The tent sites are far enough from each other that you are not disturbed by neighbors, lots of trees between sites. There are water pumps every few yards, some are a Bit tricky to get working but I did not have an issue. The campground has trash and recycling bins so you do not have to carry out. I checked out some of the drive in and RV sites. They are large and well maintained, good for camper or tent camping, although fewer trees separate you from adjacent spots, so if you’re interested in more privacy opt for a tent site. The weekend I stayed we had torrential rain for about six hours but my site did not flood. Be sure to bring a large enough footprint to account for rain however, as I needed to really clean my tent and fly when I got home due to splash back of mud and leaves. Thee bathhouse was clean and the playground looked pretty good as well. Hoping that for my return trip the new bathhouse bear the tent sites is completed. If you’re not keen on using port a Johns or hiking to the bathhouse near the camper sites I suggest bringing a travel composting toilet. I hiked the full Bob Trail which is breathtaking. Easy level hike that winds all around the park and connects to the campground. I also rented a kayak for about three hours and was able to travel the full pond and connecting Terrapin Trail and back. The recreation area (where you rent boats and kayaks) has a nice picnic area and playground. I have camped at Henlopen State Park in the past and can say that TPSP is my new favorite in delaware. I enjoyed my time so much that I am already booked to return in late September and again in early November.

This is an extremely easy trail and I hiked it with my family. It is very flat with lots of shade. The trail was mostly free of debris and had a few tree stumps. Had I not been using the map, I would not have known which trail to follow. The trail was labeled the “Bob trail,” “island trail” “cypress trail” and “cypress point trail.”

Nice, easy trail. Although a little confusing between the Bob Trail and the others that were closer to the pond.

Sun Dec 16 2018

Very flat hike, small gravel terrain. Nice length but not much of a workout. This trail has nice side trails that are definitely worth exploring. There are multiple places to park and jump right on the trail. Felt more like a walk in the woods than a hike, as the trail has no roots/rocks and is incredibly well-maintained. Good for distance and pace-setting.

Sun Oct 28 2018

Nice trail easy access walked two dogs on leash. Easy to manage with others on trail as well.

Sun Sep 23 2018

This was my first time to Trap Pond. I am a lifelong Delawarean and when I come to Sussex county I usually stick to the beaches, but I wanted to do something different. This was a nice easy hike around the pond. I wish there had been more views of the water. This seems like a great trail to do some trail running as it is flat and not many roots of rocks in the path. Bring bug spray! Watch out for spider webs across the trail :) all in all a nice day in Southern Delaware.

Tue Feb 20 2018

This is a great hike especially in the fall. It is challenging enough for a afternoon walk. This is a good hike for all ages because there is a playground. I have also biked this trail and it is very nice around the lake. I also recommend stoping to see the island trail it is really neat.

Fri Dec 29 2017

Love this trail. Great walk to clear the mind. Only met a few people along the way.

Sun Nov 05 2017

Me and Elliott

Fri Oct 27 2017

Never crowded on weekdays and the fall foliage is one of the best on Delmarva.

Sun Aug 13 2017

Easy trail. Flat and well marked - would be great for X-Country running.

Wed Jul 12 2017

Bob trail is an excellent bike trail... very few tree roots... crushed gravel path ... no crowds on weekday. Met one other biker the whole time... no hikers at all ... did 2 laps

Mon Jul 03 2017

Nice flat and mostly shaded trail with scenic views of the pond. Bugs were slightly annoying, make sure you bring plenty of bug spray! We saw several deer and enjoyed hearing the song birds.

Sun Feb 26 2017

this trail is all the shot. we play football Fribee here also the time. we beat da fat boys all up

Mon Nov 07 2016

Beautiful trail around the pond. Gorgeous autumn colors. Easy to walk. Nice for camping, kayak, picnic or just enjoy reading a book. We will come back.

Fri Aug 26 2016

This trail doesn't really lead you to any of the docks to directly overlook the lake. You have to figure out how to do that on your own if you want more views than going through the woods. The trail is well kept and flat, but difficult to ride a bike at a decent pace because of all the people walking. This is one of the few trails at this park, so it's no surprise that it's the most popular. If you are trying to avoid the crowds you can take a kayak in and see a lot more of the lake. I have uploaded 4 photos of my shots from the kayak. The cypresses growing out of the water in bunches and lily pads make for some really awesome scenery. I also saw a bunch of turtles hanging out on fallen trees. The boat launch parking lot doesn't have a fee collector station, so you may be able to park there without paying. You could always park elsewhere and then ride a bike in to avoid the fee. I personally have a problem paying a fee especially when out of state patrons get charged more and I don't litter or use the restroom facilities.

Sun May 15 2016

Did a section of the loop and it was well maintained and in May the greenery is beautiful to see along the pond before bugs are in abundance. Did not expect to pay an out of state fee just to enter the park, $8. I will be back with the kayak but I wasn't overly thrilled.

Wed Dec 16 2015

Beautiful well maintained hiking trails with nice views of lakes and ponds. the only negative was the trails are a little confusing to follow. the parks has clean restrooms and nice playground area for children. the park rangers are strict about leaving the park at dusk fyi

Thu Oct 08 2015

Trails were good but the park prices are totally crazy. Cost $29 to utilize a tent site for one night.

Wed Jul 29 2015

Nice hiking trail, no elevation changes though, but abundant wildlife. My dog and I hiked the 4.8 mile Loblolly Trail in a little over and hour.

Sun Aug 31 2014

The loop is a great bike ride for families - my eight year old was able to complete it without a problem, and the scenery was beautiful and peaceful. And then you can get ice cream at the little camp store nearby. A lovely day trip.

Sun Jan 19 2014

I visit trap pond year round. I really enjoy hiking the different trails and also ride them on my hybrid. Very nice views of the lake. In fact am heading there after while and hike the 5 mile loblolly trail.

Thu Jan 02 2014

I agree beautiful and peaceful sums it up.

Sun Dec 16 2012

Very relaxing and easy. Beautiful and peaceful.

Mon Jun 04 2012

Found these trails to be user friendly.

Thu Mar 29 2012