Prickly Pear Trail Loop is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bethany Beach, Delaware that features a lake. The trail is good for all skill levels and offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.5 miles Elevation Gain: 22 feet Route Type: Loop

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

beach

paved

This trail offers a 3.5-mile loop perfect for exploring the park's open meadows, young hardwood and pine forests, and a view of the Indian River Bay. The trail is 8' wide with a variable surface and is open to hiking, bicycling, and horseback riding. Two connector trails provide community access at several locations throughout Fresh Pond.

Trail had very light traffic, however its the weekend before the quarantine reopening, so there’s not many tourists at the beaches. Beautiful weather at a great trail. I already recommended it to a friend.

Great trail to walk with children. We packed a lunch and stopped in the middle of the trail for lunch so they could rest and finished the trail.

It was great to find a beautiful trail open during quarantine and an easy stroll for the whole family. We took lots of great pictures along the way and had some interesting bird sightings. We will definitely hike this trail again. Good for biking too.

I love this trail. It is close to my home. It is an easy walk and beautiful scenery. And the trail is a good length. Can do it in an hour and a half or two hours if you do the whole trail.

Flat wide trail. Very easy. If you do the whole loop allow about 1-1.5 hours with stops. Good for families or nice walk. no inclines. Great for biking but of course no training wheels. several opening to view bay. mainly covered by pines and other vegetation.

Fun little loop with unusual varieties of cacti. Signs tell many of the names.

It’s cold out so no bugs but I can imagine it would be horrible in the winter. I also don’t love that there’s hunting here.

I had to pay to park there to use the trail. It was $10 for out of state plates. Will never go there again. I can walk around my neighborhood for free.

very interesting in fast-moving trail with water views and prickly pear cactus good workout.

Great trail

Great trail variation and scenery, no bugs today.

Fun trail. Some sections are sand which is fun and challenging. Mostly flat and wide open.

Scenic trail, however holy bugs Batman! The bugs were out of control. Large flys everywhere closer to the pond. Slamming into my head and face. It’s a shame because it would have been a much more relaxing ride without them.

Sun May 12 2019

The ground stone trail is nice and wide. It's easy for walking, biking or running.

Mon May 06 2019

Mon Aug 06 2018

Beautiful, shady ride through pine trees on a flat trail. Perfect for kids!

Sun Aug 05 2018

Beautiful but incredibly buggy in July/August. I was bitten even while running. Views of the water are nice alongside heavily wooded tree canopies.

Fri Jun 15 2018

Fun

Sun May 27 2018

This trail is a great hidden gem in the Bethany Beach area. I discovered it while exploring the area on my hybrid bike. A pleasant, shaded ride through marsh an pine forest with some scenic breaks.

Sat Oct 07 2017

Nice flat trail for easy bike ride or a run off the road to enjoy some nature. Nice walking for pets & kiddos as well. Crushed gravel & also sandy path that goes to a small "secret beach", past an old abandoned barn then back to parking lot. At the bridges that cross water, try to stay quiet as you approach to see the Egrets and Herons that are usually present fishing :) Deer and Turkey are always around as well if you keep an eye out for them.

Fri Sep 01 2017

Flat but pretty. Buggy but fun. EASY. Great for all levels west side of long loop less crowded

Mon Aug 28 2017

Very enjoyable ride on the bike, I would recommend for all levels of experience.

Tue Jun 20 2017

Super simple all flat trail. The first mile or so was on graveI and it smelt great with all the pine trees around. I definitely recommend bug spray for this, as I was getting attacked all over, especially near the canal. To my surprise I got to see an old abandoned barn. Took me about 30 minutes to get here from 30th st. in Ocean CIty, MD. I think this trail would be best suited for a bike ride or a jog. Plan on going back in the fall to see how it is then.