Iron Hill Park

Iron Hill Park is a 3.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Newark, Delaware that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.2 miles Elevation Gain: 314 feet Route Type: Loop

Nice shade. Nice trail but impossible to follow the trail nap. Trails not marked. I like a strenuous hike but had to keep stopping to try and get back in trail. Will definitely go again, now that I am a little familiar with the trail.

nice hike. like everyone before has said, there trail isn't marked well at all, but it's easy enough to navigate. For hiking it is well maintained.

Not very well marked and lots of places to get off track. Long parts had you walking through muddy bull dozer tracks. Wear hiking boots as trails are rocky and could easily turn an ankle with the wrong shoes. Nice picnic area and playground

Although the trails are not individually well marked, including overlapping hiking and biking paths, they are wide and well maintained. Great place for easy-to-moderate hiking, with or without doggie company :) The groves of mature beech, oak, and hickory provide for shaded hiking even on the sunniest of days!

Tough ride! No clue what actual intent of course is!

It was okay. Was a little confused with the route so I made my own and this app definitely helped. Next time I plan to actually hike the mapped out route.

This is, as others stated, a very difficult trail to follow. The markings are ridiculously absent and the map offered at the trailhead is completely useless. However, there are a couple decently moderate hills that are available to climb, but they are definitely off-trail. Wear boots- not shoes- in the fall as the leaves cleverly hide many rocks/roots and there are TONS of hidden muddy spots. Was a pretty walk through the woods, but would have been much, much better if we didn’t have to stop every so often to check the AllTrails map.

Friday, October 12, 2018

As others mentioned, paths are not very well marked. However I kinda like this. Just grab one of the paper maps at the trail head, and follow the disc golf holes, you won’t get lost. Very light traffic and tons of path options make it an enjoyable spot.

Sunday, September 30, 2018

Took my dogs today and it was a nice peaceful mini hike! The trails aren’t marked great but they’re pretty cleared off and there is a dog park and play ground as well!

Thursday, September 27, 2018

great for a shady hike. if you dont know the trail already it might be hard to navigate the first time. love to come on my work breaks for a little nature fix.

Saturday, August 25, 2018

They need to mark the trails better! Hiking overlaps bikes and runoff ways.

Thursday, June 14, 2018

Trail has potential but just not there markings are bad no sense of direction once in and on top of that way to easy to get lost I’m a evening day rider and just got home and it’s 1030

Saturday, November 04, 2017

Not the most relaxing hike ever. It goes right next to interstate I 95. It is not very well marked either.

Saturday, July 08, 2017

We liked the trail but lost the markers a So we didn't do the actual trail. Will come back for a redo.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Beautiful green foliage! Nice inclines! Intersects with Disc Golf course. Hikers' warning: this trail wasn't clearly marked. Had to use the Alltrails app to navigate through. Well worth it! One of the pups favorite short hikes!

Monday, May 29, 2017

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Hard to follow the trail (blue trail). It went right next to the highway a few times, and we had to jump over a bunch of mud puddles!

Wednesday, January 04, 2017

First time visiting this park and we're definitely coming back. Lots of trails and lots of geocaches. Great combination!

Wednesday, December 21, 2016

there is some good mountain biking here if you are a more advanced biker. lots of rooty and rocky side trails. good uphill climbs must have decent cardio. could give it more stars if the trails were longer. but if you look around there is some fun challenging stuff.

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Hike here on a regular basis. Love it! Trails will give you a great workout! Offers a disc golf course also which is great but sometimes a little frustrating because trails run with the course and I always feel bad interrupting a groups effort in playing. Most groups are very courteous and all works out well! Would definitely recommend but be prepared to take time if it's your first time there. Great hiking!

Thursday, June 05, 2014

Are you kidding me?? Tried biking this trail and gave up about 2 miles into it. The trail is not for biking. My bike doesn't have turbo boost to propel me over logs and 4 foot wide creeks. I had to get off my bike several times to walk over these large logs, roots that were several inches high, and basically mush that my bike sank into. I could see how this would an adventurous hike on foot but not for bikers. I'm a fairly seasoned biker and have done moderate-aggressive trails so it's not me. Plus it's not marked, no map out front or a take-with-you map to even have any idea where you are. Like others have said it branches off several times so you have no idea if you are on the loop or not. Walk the trail first and then see for yourself if it's worth biking.

Friday, January 17, 2014

We have hiked the area several times, and have only seen hikers but there has been evidence of bikes. The trails are not marked, with rare exception. The paths are pretty obvious, and general guidance is provided: head uphill to find the parking lot. That advice is probably sufficient. The map I have shows many trails but no names or colors, and there are many side paths that complicate using the map. While there is not much to see, it is useful for the elevation change. Did scare one sleeping dear in the leaves...good workout for the heart!

Monday, November 04, 2013

I've hiked here and cached here multiple times. I remember when this place was closed because of nefarious activities. Thankfully they cleaned it up. It is truly a diamond in the rough. I don't think that a lot of people even knows this exist.

Sunday, October 21, 2012

I pretty solid trail - the only downside is that it goes pretty close to a major highway, which kills the woodsy vibe for me, but otherwise really enjoyable. There is also a dog park, which makes this place great for your pet.

Saturday, October 13, 2012

My girlfriend and I just went here to check it out and were pleasantly surprised! We didn't do the entire loop as time was prohibiting but it was a good little adventure!

Saturday, September 15, 2012

I had no idea Iron Hill was 15 miles. I rate it at 3 starts only because I hike there and its probably better for moderate to advanced mountain bikers. Steep hills that look fun, but too gutsy for me. Trails are clear but a lot of roots. I saw previous comment about disc golfers and fortunately I haven't come across anyone out there. Still can't figure out how its 15 miles so I'll look further into it.

Saturday, June 30, 2012

It sucked! The frisbee folders were rude and gave us attitude even though we had never been there and we're just checking it out- a good reminder of how unfriendly people are in Newark.

rock climbing