Chestnut Hill Trail

Chestnut Hill Trail is a 3.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Newark, Delaware that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.3 miles Elevation Gain: 272 feet Route Type: Loop

Hills and forests ending with a walk in a soybean field Nice hike through forest in a hilly area between two creeks. Bridges make the crossings easy. The trail is clearly marked, including a cut off that will allow you to cut the hike in half. Watch for mountain bikers. The trail ends by bringing you through a soybean field back to the start. A short walk will take you to the Judge Morris house, a 19th century house, now a museum. Call the rangers or go to the Delaware State Park website to get information on hours and exhibits.

We entered and exited via the upper pike creek spur, and did the loop to the cutoff, which was about 2.5 miles. A nice hilly loop along the creek, though traffic noise does make its way through the woods a bit.

Nice trail, though the first and last bit (if you take the field spur) are in the sun. We did the cut off halfway through and the field spur and we were well above 2 miles, perfect for me and my 3 boys to get tired. We will definitely do this loop again.

trail was good. normal dirt or mud not over grown. I took cut through and it made the trail 2 miles for my jog from parking lot by bathroom

good beginning trail

This is one of my favorite short hikes (also because it's so close to where I live). It's usually quiet (weekdays especially) and there is varied terrain and scenery. It's located at the Judge Morris Estate which is also pretty to walk around. Lovely close-to-town nature walk.

recorded Chestnut Hill Trail

Fun trail, but not a beginner trail for bikers. Few spot can barely get the handle bars through.

Great, easy to follow trail. Well maintained! Will definitely be coming back.

Close to this city, but a natural area.

My Golden and I went on a short and easy hike today. This is a nicely kept trail next to Judge Morris Estate. The mountain bikers we came across seemed to be enjoying the trails as well. Lots of laughs.

Sunday, August 05, 2018

Huge Wasp nest near slot to pay entry fee. Got a $100 (!) ticket for not paying. Would avoid until they get rid of wasp nest. Money hungry state trying to suck every last penny out of us. And you know that ticket money is not going to making the Park better and getting rid of wasps.

Monday, June 18, 2018

The fallen logs had been neatly placed off the trail and two people were working on parts of the trail today. They were friendly. This was a nice trail with a lot of variety. My Golden loves it too!

Monday, May 28, 2018

Perfect for first timers!

Saturday, February 24, 2018

Fun and a nice workout.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Smells great. The smell of leaves from these trees makes it very pleasant.

Sunday, December 31, 2017

This was a nice trail. There are restrooms at the trailhead and lots of parking. I went on a colder day while it was snowing so there was not much traffic.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

The trail head and trail are well marked. It's good for hiking, biking and trail running. There is adequate parking and toilets. I would rate this easy, not moderate. It's mostly wooded, with a short stretch next to the Pike Creek, and a couple of short stretches with road noise. Fee area.

Saturday, May 20, 2017

Sunday, May 07, 2017

Monday, April 10, 2017

Nice trail you will share with the occasional mountain biker. Will do it again.

Monday, February 20, 2017

Great walk not too hard. Able to do it with my 7, 5 and 3 year old

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Perfect for a Sunday afternoon hike. Not too many people. Went with my husband and our 6 month old puppy and it was gorgeous. Will definitely do this trail again.

Monday, April 25, 2016

Good hike. Yes watch for mountain bikes there is only room for a single line on the trail. Many roots so watch your footing tripped a few times. But very pretty

paddle sports
Sunday, August 30, 2015

Easy. Nice nature walk. Watch out for mountain bikers.

Saturday, August 15, 2015