Chestnut Hill Trail is a 3.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Newark, Delaware that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.3 miles Elevation Gain: 272 feet Route Type: Loop

Hills and forests ending with a walk in a soybean field Nice hike through forest in a hilly area between two creeks. Bridges make the crossings easy. The trail is clearly marked, including a cut off that will allow you to cut the hike in half. Watch for mountain bikers. The trail ends by bringing you through a soybean field back to the start. A short walk will take you to the Judge Morris house, a 19th century house, now a museum. Call the rangers or go to the Delaware State Park website to get information on hours and exhibits.

fee

field at the end was a nice surprise

Love this trail. Would definitely visit again. Great hike with some inclines. Found several Geo caches along the way. Lots of bikers but they were very courteous to us walkers and always let us know they were coming and from which side. Saw some volunteers cleaning up the area along the trail from some vegetation that was over growing and harming others.

Another great day on this trail!

I absolutely loved this trail! It’s peaceful, scenic, and has plenty of nice turns, drops, and inclines to navigate. I wouldn’t label this trail as easy. It’s not for those that have never biked or those not used to semi rugged terrain. There are tons of tree roots and narrow spaces to along the way, making it a fun trail and a great workout.

Very nice trail with mostly hikers and a few bikers. Lots of wild flowers. Trail goes from low marsh area to higher points. A little noisy from nearby highways

Geocaching along the trail

Dry clean trails

fee

Good trail. Lots of roots. A little hilly which is nice. Path is clear. There is a fee to park at the trail head. It’s $4 cash.

Fun. Nice New Years Day walk.

Pleasant walk. Just under 5 miles if you add the spurs. Close to roads so a good bit of road noise for half of the walk. Not challenging, if that is what your looking for. Trails are good and well marked. Easy access with a good number of people, but far from crowded.

Awesome trail! I was not expecting there to be so many inclines but it was awesome. Beautiful scenery and sounds. My dog loved it as did I. Cut half way through but will do the whole trail one day!

Fun trail. Very up and down throughout. Some spots are tough to get up because of incline degree, trees & roots. Not many muddy spots but it hasn’t rained in at least three days, take that for what it’s worth. I wouldn’t really consider this an easy trail for someone less skilled on a bike. There are several spots that have a sharp drop off to the left and/or right side depending on direction. For a skilled person, this trail is easy but does require effort. All that being said, I would do it again and I had a great time on this trail.

We entered and exited via the upper pike creek spur, and did the loop to the cutoff, which was about 2.5 miles. A nice hilly loop along the creek, though traffic noise does make its way through the woods a bit.

Nice trail, though the first and last bit (if you take the field spur) are in the sun. We did the cut off halfway through and the field spur and we were well above 2 miles, perfect for me and my 3 boys to get tired. We will definitely do this loop again.

trail was good. normal dirt or mud not over grown. I took cut through and it made the trail 2 miles for my jog from parking lot by bathroom

good beginning trail

Thu May 30 2019

This is one of my favorite short hikes (also because it's so close to where I live). It's usually quiet (weekdays especially) and there is varied terrain and scenery. It's located at the Judge Morris Estate which is also pretty to walk around. Lovely close-to-town nature walk.

recorded Chestnut Hill Trail

Sun May 19 2019

Sat May 18 2019

Mon Apr 22 2019

Fun trail, but not a beginner trail for bikers. Few spot can barely get the handle bars through.

Fri Apr 19 2019

Great, easy to follow trail. Well maintained! Will definitely be coming back.

Sun Feb 10 2019