Burton's Island Loop

Burton's Island Loop is a 1.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Rehoboth Beach, Delaware that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.3 miles Elevation Gain: 9 feet Route Type: Loop

We went on a Saturday afternoon in July. If you are a horror movie enthusiast and want a totally free, locusts eating you alive, run for your life from a crazy maniac experience, Burton’s Island is the place to be!!! The first 50 yards were great, a nice view of the bay. A few steps further and a fly was buzzing around me, no big deal. Another 100 yards in, his friends show up. Swatting about 5 but picking up the pace, they’ll leave I thought. Next thing you know, 30 or more are literally attacking and biting me at every angle. I start running at full speed, swatting every part of my body all the while. It was beating sun that day, I’m dripping sweat, delirious, guessing the right ways to go. They never let up. It was honestly one of the most terrifying and exhilarating experiences of my life. That said, I do not recommend it. NEVER AGAIN!!!

Rode our bikes on the trail after riding across the Indian River Inlet Bridge from the state park south campground. Parts of trail are not rideable because of sand. Would have been much easier to park bikes at entrance and walk trail. Nice, natural environment.

This was a nice loop for an easy was ok with dogs. The trail was dry but had potential muddy spots. Unfortunately the wind was bringing exhaust fumes from the marina which was difficult to breathe.

Hiked with my 5 yr old in spring. Easy trail on a nature preserve split between marsh and forested areas. Enjoyable!

Nice trail, easy to follow, nice scenery

very nice to go in March, cool breezes and had the place to ourselves

Awesome trail to be on in the middle to late January when there’s no bugs hardly any people. I wouldn’t go in the summer time to save my life. I was reading the previous reviews and I couldn’t stop laughing from everybody complaining that when U go during the months of April through October every review said they would get torn up by mosquitoes. Chiggers,No See’ems  what did you expect.People. Do these trails during the winter months and they’re absolutely gorgeous

Tuesday, August 28, 2018

I was once like you, I read the reviews and said pssshhh, who cares about a few bugs. I was wrong. so very wrong. it was the most insanely buggy thing I have ever experienced. Remember that scene from Temple of Doom? okay, its not quite that bad but it was pretty insane. that island belongs to the bugs. It is theirs. let them have it.

Friday, May 11, 2018

I was pretty excited to find this trail while vacationing at Fenwick Island. But like the other reviews, the bugs made it pretty horrible and unbearable. I'm pretty sure I spent 80% of the time swatting bugs. It's worth noting that I went in mid-August so you might fair a little better another time of year. If not for the bugs it would have been a decent way to kill a couple hours away from the beach community.

Friday, September 09, 2016

APPLY INSPECT REPELLENT! It is a nice short hike through marsh, pines, sand. You start out and it's nice, about 1/3 of the way around things turned into a slight nightmare. The trail was very overgrown in spots, tall (6'+-) grass that you had to push your way through while being swarmed with gaint mosquitos and biting flies. Had a few bite marks, then more and more surfaced. Small welts 75+ from my arm pits down, I am covered in chigger bites. Luckily no ticks.

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

beautiful trail .....but be sure to listen to the tick warnings....I didn't thinking it would be ok even if I stayed on the trail....I was wrong ....at one point stopped to check out the osprey nest and had ticks swarming my feet....picked about 20 to 30 ticks off me and my gf before we left the area....the. picked about 5 off we missed . if you wear tick repellent spray you will be fine

Monday, December 13, 2010

I was really a little disappointed, but I chose a freezing cold, windy day to go. The other issue is that the trail is only open on Sundays (when hunters are not allowed on the island) which makes planning a trip difficult.

Tuesday, July 03, 2018