Alapocas Woods Trail

moderate 204 reviews

Alapocas Woods Trail is a 2.9 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Wilmington, Delaware that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as moderate and offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.9 km Elevation Gain: 70 m Route Type: Loop

rock climbing

Great little trail hidden in Wilmington. Steep climbs and under tree cover all the way (except for the pedestrian bridge across the Brandywine River). Do not wear sneakers - many rocks of various sizes and very muddy after a steady drizzle that began the night before.

This is our favorite trail in the area. It provides nice views and walk down to the river is really pretty. It links up to other trails so you can easily extend your hike. There a couple short sections with steeper inclines, otherwise it’s a pretty easy trail. We will be doing it again in the spring when the woods are more lush. I’m sure it will have a different feel then and be even more beautiful. The one surprising thing is that it you can hear quite a bit of noise from work being done in the surrounding area. But given its proximity to Wilmington I guess I should be surprised.

closed

A beautiful and challenging ride

Alapocas woods is my favorite Northern Delaware State Park. For a small park it has amazing diversity of terrain. Bounded on the north by the Dupont Experimental Station (central R&D labs), west by the Brandywine River, east by the Dupont Nemours estate, and south by the city of Wilmington, this park offers an urban "deep woods" experience with trails for hiking and biking, creek crossings, and other recreation like rock climbing, softball, golf and playgrounds for kids. The trails include sections of the Northern Delaware Greenway and part of the East Coast Greenway from Maine to Florida. Sections also follow the river past the historic industrial site of Bancroft Mills, including the old dam and mill race. At the waterfall by the dam we encountered a cross country jogger who informed us that the trail continues, but is a little "sketchy". We tried but couldn't follow it, so we bushwhacked uphill back to the ballfields where we parked. Eventually we found a different trail that came up from the falls, but none of these trails were marked. We will be coming back I'm sure to explore more of the park.

Beautiful walk in the woods. Not too challenging but it was a nice after breakfast walk

Felt like mostly downhill, with one steep uphill in the second half, downhill was hard with dog.

Very easy hike. Nice falls. Plenty of shade.

It was a beautiful day for a hike, and a beautiful place to hike. Very peaceful and relaxing. Going back again to explore more of the trails. the falls were beautiful. my only complaint would be the construction but that will end at some point.

Alright, so I probably would not recommend this trail to anyone. It was extremely confusing to follow the trail as it zigged and zagged over a bunch of other trails and at places where signal was sparse. So plan on adding at least another 30 minutes on for the inevitable time(s) you get lost. The trail was a little overgrown at points for my liking and the one place that would have qualified as a beautiful view was tarnished by construction projects. Blue is a fair rating for this trail because it can get hilly at times. But, for me, the overall experience was not good enough to ever bring me back.

This was a nice trail. I took my four kids and we got lost due to road closer near the park. There were several fallen trees on each of the trails other then that it was very enjoyable! We want to go back and try a trail that leads to the waterfall.

I absolutely love this trail. it's my escape from the world while living in the city. I'm giving it a 3 because I don't want to attract more people to it in reality it's a solid 4.3

recorded Alapocas Woods Trail

Nice trail for where it is. Short but sweet and can link to the paved Delaware greenway trail if you want to extend. Very green, well marked but intersects with some mountain biking so that can be a bit alarming at times. River intersection has construction on both sides which is why I gave it 3 stars, it detracts from the trail itself. But overall if you’re looking for a nearby quick outing it’s decent. or a spot to sit and just be, the lower section on the green belt has a few benches on the river by a rock wall that looks on a short field of green and is peaceful.

Did the inner loop, easy for kids. Smooth and quick.

very nice set of trails

trails signs got a little confusing at the loop becuase other trails corssed over it

Tue Dec 18 2018

Not sure about the trail itself but we parked and noticed every other car parked in the lot had a man just sitting in there car. Either a popular spot for drug deals or some weird meet up place? Either way we were sketched out and left.

Mon Nov 19 2018

Great hike with lots of fun views. We took our 5 year old son and our dog. Trail was relatively easy but had enough obstacles that our son felt like he accomplished something. Rock climbing wall was really cool and seemed pretty easy to climb. We ended up finding our own trail and ended up hiking 2.5 miles in about 1.5 hours.

Wed Oct 24 2018

Easy trail that leads to awesome rock climbing area with a view of a waterfall. The parking situation is a little weird, but its well worth it for a short hike with great views.