Zoar Trail

Zoar Trail is a 6.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Stevenson, Connecticut that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Beautiful, but certain parts of the trail aren’t very well marked. Be prepared to stare at your phone/map and compass with some regularity.

Really enjoyed this hike. Challenging but some cool views with some wildlife. Be careful because trail is tricky to follow with the storm damage

I enjoyed this hike a lot. It is definitely challenging at times and towards the end it was hard to navigate back. We ended up in someone’s back yard and having to walk the entire road back to the parking lot. A few others on the trail also went off the trail multiple times so it is important you pay close attention. Originally thought it would be 6.1 Miles but because of back tracking and getting lost we ended up doing 7.5 mi. Could have been because marked trees may have fallen since the storm. I still recommend it but be prepared for some steep spots. Also keep a look out for black racers near the water. We ran into two by the waterfall so watch your step!!

This is my favorite trail. It’s the perfect length and just the right balance of hills so you can keep a steady pace. It’s a little rocky and the rocks can be slick after the rain. Our dogs love it. It’s not too busy so they can come off the leashes. The waterfall is so beautiful especially if you go down to the bottom and look up.

Moderate challenge trail, and well worth the hike into the beautiful waterfall.

Went on Monday 5/21/18...Great trail! Just be careful since the storm that went through. Lots of trees down on the trail. Definitely recommend going!

Great hike!! Love the water views and the waterfall. Will definitely be back when the leaves are on the trees. Not much shade today on an 80 degree day.

Awesome hike! Easy to navigate, moderate to difficult terrain, great views of the water and a waterfall. No lookout but it’s not needed. I’ll be back.

great trail, good views on the river side, not that easy if you are p
looking for a flat trail look elsewhere

One of the best hiking experiences I’ve had. There is a beautiful lake view. Has a little bit of a challenge while hiking through. There is a water fall. Can’t wait to go back!

Great Trail. Hard work!! Beautiful scenery. Know what your getting into here. Lot of ups and downs. Definitely a top CT Trail. A must do for those looking for a moderate challenge. We loved it!

Great loop. Little more taxing than we expected but great fun. The waterfall is beautiful and the rest of the loop was through quiet woods.

This trail is hard work, a lot of ups and downs and rough going.

Great day on the trail today. The waterfall was amazing. Definitely in our top 3 hikes in CT, so far!!!

A favorite trail in SW Connecticut. Lots of climbing and descending on technical trail. Hard wood and hemlock groves. A steep brook with one significant waterfall and several minor. A great technical trail run, but keep your eyes on the trail or risk a hard fall. Roots, rocks, fun.

Our hike happened on Friday 11/24/17. Our family did the whole trail. The trail at mile 2 and 3 were obstructed with felled trees but not anything that we couldn’t get through. At mile 5, the trail isn’t clearly marked and we ended up about a half a mile from our car at the trail head. Still a beautiful hike. The only pick I had is at mile 3, the steep climb really was hard for the ten yr old..... but she conquered it! Epic family experience!!!!

Fantastic trail with streams and small waterfall. The beginning of the trail is along Lake Zoar which is picturesque.

Will take the more challenging forest trail for the first half and the river trail for the second half next time! Took a little under 3 hours.
Song lyric graffiti was a bummer to see on a stand of trees, but hike was a really nice, manageable challenge. Some junctions are not well marked and require some quick back tracking.

Wowow. Six miles of hills and rocky outcroppings, a great workout! I almost wish I had started on the woods side versus the lake side so I wouldn't have had to deal with most of the elevation on the second half. Only one geocache if that's something you're interested in. Some of the trail markings are hard to see so I had to use my phone and map to get back on track.

Beautiful views along Lake Zoar for the first couple miles then a step ascent into the woods. Pretty nice some trail intersections are hard to notice.

great trail , good hills and scenery, one of my favorite hikes 7 mi. works you good

I thought that this trail was just OK. The trail was stony, making it more annoying to do the constant up and downs, as this this trail isn't a straight up and then back down trail. The scenery was just OK, I think there are a few other trails in CT that might be more worth it. Definitely remember bug spray! We skipped it thinking it wouldn't be too bad, but the bugs are definitely bad.

However, for a 6 mile hike, it wasn't terrible, just not one of the better trails I've enjoyed.

super hike, challenging and scenic

Exhilarating hike!! Awesome trails with waterfalls and streams along the way to cool off in

Great scenic view of the river. The waterfalls were great too. A little boring around the back end, but it is very interesting to see the assortment of types of trees ( some areas were very dense while other parts were wide open). We saw three separate snakes along the trail which added to the hike! Would do it again, but most likely just the river side.

Thursday, June 15, 2017

'twas beautiful, great for nature lovers

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Loved this trail, challenging hills, beautiful fauna and the waterfall was spectacular

Thursday, May 18, 2017

Fun route, nice waterfall!

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

I can be on this trail in under 5 minutes from walking out my back door, so I've hiked it several times. The upper section is hardly ever used, so it makes for a very peaceful hike. The section along Lake Zoar up to Pryden Falls is much more heavily traveled, but offers beautiful views of the lake and Kettletown State Park. Make sure to visit soon after a heavy rain to see the falls at their most spectacular.

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Great hike..beautiful walk along the Housatonic. Did the entire loop and had the opportunity, in which I'm incredibly grateful for, of seeing a mating pair of Barred Owls. Would absolutely recommend this trail