Zoar Trail

Zoar Trail is a 6.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Stevenson, Connecticut that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Our hike happened on Friday 11/24/17. Our family did the whole trail. The trail at mile 2 and 3 were obstructed with felled trees but not anything that we couldn’t get through. At mile 5, the trail isn’t clearly marked and we ended up about a half a mile from our car at the trail head. Still a beautiful hike. The only pick I had is at mile 3, the steep climb really was hard for the ten yr old..... but she conquered it! Epic family experience!!!!

Fantastic trail with streams and small waterfall. The beginning of the trail is along Lake Zoar which is picturesque.

Will take the more challenging forest trail for the first half and the river trail for the second half next time! Took a little under 3 hours.
Song lyric graffiti was a bummer to see on a stand of trees, but hike was a really nice, manageable challenge. Some junctions are not well marked and require some quick back tracking.

Wowow. Six miles of hills and rocky outcroppings, a great workout! I almost wish I had started on the woods side versus the lake side so I wouldn't have had to deal with most of the elevation on the second half. Only one geocache if that's something you're interested in. Some of the trail markings are hard to see so I had to use my phone and map to get back on track.

Beautiful views along Lake Zoar for the first couple miles then a step ascent into the woods. Pretty nice some trail intersections are hard to notice.

great trail , good hills and scenery, one of my favorite hikes 7 mi. works you good

I thought that this trail was just OK. The trail was stony, making it more annoying to do the constant up and downs, as this this trail isn't a straight up and then back down trail. The scenery was just OK, I think there are a few other trails in CT that might be more worth it. Definitely remember bug spray! We skipped it thinking it wouldn't be too bad, but the bugs are definitely bad.

However, for a 6 mile hike, it wasn't terrible, just not one of the better trails I've enjoyed.

super hike, challenging and scenic

Exhilarating hike!! Awesome trails with waterfalls and streams along the way to cool off in

Great scenic view of the river. The waterfalls were great too. A little boring around the back end, but it is very interesting to see the assortment of types of trees ( some areas were very dense while other parts were wide open). We saw three separate snakes along the trail which added to the hike! Would do it again, but most likely just the river side.

'twas beautiful, great for nature lovers

Loved this trail, challenging hills, beautiful fauna and the waterfall was spectacular

Fun route, nice waterfall!

I can be on this trail in under 5 minutes from walking out my back door, so I've hiked it several times. The upper section is hardly ever used, so it makes for a very peaceful hike. The section along Lake Zoar up to Pryden Falls is much more heavily traveled, but offers beautiful views of the lake and Kettletown State Park. Make sure to visit soon after a heavy rain to see the falls at their most spectacular.

Great hike..beautiful walk along the Housatonic. Did the entire loop and had the opportunity, in which I'm incredibly grateful for, of seeing a mating pair of Barred Owls. Would absolutely recommend this trail

First hike of the season for me. Got a little over excited and decided to do the whole thing with new hiking boots on. In hind sight should have done it backwards and finished walking down the river where it is a straight course and easy. I am not an experienced hiker so I felt the trail on the left side was on the harder side because of the amount of inclines, declines, and was very rocky. My gps stopped working and I didn't have a map and I was alone so I just followed the blue marks and I got a little lost at a couple points. Luckily I made it out with 15 minutes of sunlight to spare. Saw people on the river side but once I headed up the left side I didn't see anyone for 2 hours until I got to my car. Would love to do this trail again when I have more time, it is beautiful all around and a great work out. Took 3 hours but I was hustling on the left side, worried I would run out of sunlight. Many lessons learned today!

Really enjoyed this hike but would recommend going when snow has cleared as the trail becomes very slippery.

Beautiful! my new favorite spot

Need to be very careful to not lose the track. But, otherwise it is a great hiking experience.

was a very nice hike with lots of ups and downs, some areas more challenging then others. lost the blue trail a few times, but enjoyed the side trails too.