Wyassup Lake

Wyassup Lake is a 2.4 mile out and back trail located near North Stonington, Connecticut that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The trail was marked very well, but it wasn’t very scenic.

Great variety of ups and downs. Roots and rocks offer balance challenges. Great view from the overlook.

Parked next to the second opening. Overcast and humid day, buggy due to the slower moving/standing water. I'm 27 and did the hike with my 57 year old mom; we both enjoy the scenery and challenge.

Sunday, May 21, 2017

There are a lot of spots in the trail where you cross a brook or stream and only one of them has a foot bridge. You will have to hop from rock to rock otherwise to cross. A lot of inclined hiking with some loose rocks and a lot of roots in the trail. A few spots with some great views and a lot of interesting plant and animal life. Really great rock formations along the whole trail and the stream is a big feature.

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Part of a longer blue blazed trail

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Great little ride. Took my mtn bike. Some rocky parts but mostly smooth. Make sure you take a photo of map before starting as there is an expansive number of trails in that area.

Friday, March 10, 2017

An unplanned hike on 03/08/2017. Parked at boat launch on a wet and gray morning. Soon the sun broke through and temps soared into the upper 50s. Turned out to be a beautiful day on a nice trail. Will be returning.

Sunday, November 13, 2016

beautiful trails. stunning views

Saturday, July 09, 2016

One of my favorite trails in north stonington. It's beautiful in the fall.

Monday, March 28, 2016

The High Ridge Plateau aka Mt. Leland is probably my favorite hike in North Stonington. It's about a 45 minute hike from wyassup lake to bear cave.

Friday, March 25, 2016

Nice well marked trail. Part of the trail was used by ATV and dirt bike if that bothers you. If not, some nice views.

Sunday, March 13, 2016

I did this hike today (3/13/16). A beautiful day with temps in the 50's. Very nice set of trails. I parked at the boat launch lot at Lake Wyassup and walked the short distance up the road to the start of this section of the blue blazed trail. I hiked about 8.5 miles (some meandering included) by following the blue blazed trail past the High Ledges and Bullet Ledges and then followed it north and then looped south until it again intersected for the second time with Ledgen Wood Road. Instead of heading east (left) to stay on the blue blazed trail I went west (right) on the dirt/wood road until it intersected back where I originally crossed the road when I was heading north. I then backtracked south back on the blue blazes over the High Ledges and back to the start. I only saw one other hiker but did hear some dirt bikes at one point in the distance. Some the wood road sections are open to ATVs and Dirt Bikes.

Overall a great hike with some relatively challenging areas at the High and Bullett Ledges.

I look forward to further exploring this area. The Great Swamp Press map of Pachaug State Forest is a great map to have for this entire area both north and south of 138/165.

Monday, May 19, 2014

For me, this trail was almost perfect. There are challenging hills and terrain in some sections, but easy to manage terrain in others. The trail was clearly marked the entire trail. The only thing that made this not be perfect was that certain sections combine with a dirtbike/atv trail which makes me nervous when i'm out there with my dog. This past weekend when I hiked this, I didn't see a single person on the trail which is the way I like it. Peaceful, and quiet enough to hear the birds and other forest activity. A great hike if you are not looking for something wicked challenging.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

One way to take in Wyassup Lake is by doing the blue-blazed Narragansett Trail in sections. At this writing the lake has been drawn down in order to repair the dam; work is expected to be completed in late September or early October of 2012.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

I'm in accord with earlier reviewers -- you need to find a more interesting way to go about this hike, and you can find it in Hickox and Heyder's Walks in the Watershed. Their route starts you on Narragansett Trail near the Pendleton Church. Following their map, I went to Bullet Ledges, then onward to High Ledges, then finally to Lake Wyassup. Be prepared for numerous, steep ascents! Also, you will be sharing with ATVs at a number of points, especially on the road.

Because I hate backtracking so much, and because I wanted to get a better feel for other side trails on the Pachaug Forest map, I took the Wyassup Lake Road back to loop back to my start point. While road hikes generally aren't as much fun, this trip was interesting for the sheer number of old cellar holes that show that this area was once largely farmland.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

We did this hike twice. We did it twice because our hiking book didn't really explain to us a great way to use this trail. Here is what we recommend. Park at the Wyassup Lake boat launch parking lot. Rather than walk right up the road to the blue blaze trail, walk back down the road to the left. There is another trail head there. The one to the right is kind of in the middle of the trail. After going down the road about .5 miles, turn into the path. Follow the blue blazes. It is also a motor bike trail. Follow the trail for about 2.5 miles until you get to a large cliff area. Go just beyond and climb up for a lookout point. People camp and have fire pits up there. Then hike back down and back. That is what we will do the next time.

This is part of the Narragansett Trail, so there are many, many more miles to explore here. Just watch for motor bikes.

Friday, May 12, 2017