Westwoods Trail

Westwoods Trail is a 6.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Guilford, Connecticut that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.1 miles Elevation Gain: 646 feet Route Type: Loop

Some scrambles....couldn’t find granite sculptures

Great place to day hike. Varied terraine.

I reallllly wanted to love this trail and see the sights that I had seen in so many pictures... however, the trails were quite confusing! Firstly, there were no physical trail maps. There was only a QR code for your phone that gave you the map. Now this is all fine and dandy, however, it sucks having to stare at your phone while hiking and plus, phones eventually die! So no more map! Secondly, I used AllTrails suggested trail for Westwoods and a quarter way through, we got lost and ended up following a yellow trail that led us through thorns and then a muddy pathway. At this point, we got lost twice and were so over it. Thirdly, I felt as though some of the markers were not close enough. That last yellow marked path was doing so well until we went through the thorns and goldenrods and ended up hitting a very muddy pathway that seemed to lead to nowhere. From there on, we retraced our steps back and followed Green Rectangle to Green Circle and got back to our car. I really wished it was a little less confusing... there are really soooo many paths you can take on this hike and I feel like if I didn’t follow the path AllTrails gave me, we probably would have enjoyed the hike more instead of cutting it short from frustration. I will say the mushrooms and plants were so pretty and we were really enjoying the hike up until things got all confusing. I would have loved to see the waterfall and caves and satisfying little view... alas, I will have to come back another day, if that ever happens.

There are so many trails on this one and even with a recording open it was hard to follow at times. We ended up hiking at least 10 miles. At one point we got so annoyed with having to turn back that we just climbed down the over grown side of the rock and crossed over to the other side where another trail was. Even with getting lost a few times, I will still go back and try again.

always a great walk while visiting CT. overcast day, but temps were great. saw a black racer snake on a tree!!

The directions on this app as of June 2019 takes you two a parking area in front of a pick your own strawberry farm. At this parking lot, there are two overgrown trails with lots of roots from wash out, they’re so narrow that mountain biking or even walking would have been too difficult. What we didn’t know is there are very wide nice trails for mountain biking or hiking then bike up the very steep hill to the dead end of that road. Unfortunately, we didn’t see this until we biked 5 miles along Farmhouse rd, three mile course rd, etc. There are numerous entry points to trails, one that we found was at the corner of Sas hill road and 146. But the wash out and rocks made it too difficult to attempt. I can’t give this a fair score because I didn’t find a useable entrance until we were at the end of our bike ride. I’ll have to check it out another time. But just remember to bike to the dead end after parking and you’ll find the entrance.

Sat Dec 29 2018

Awesome number of trails available. Beautiful in all seasons. Wear waterproof boots because it is super swampy in some parts.

Fri Nov 09 2018

Loved it!

Thu Aug 09 2018

Very humid August day and rocks were a little slick. Short scrambles over low glacier ridges were a nice mix in, even having to lift the dog up onto some. Canopy covers well and there is minimal sun. If your into mushrooms....this is a good trail for you. The Orange circle trail on the way back cuts through some large boulders which kids would love.

Tue Jul 10 2018

nice woody trails,lots of mosquitoes. easy to get lost for a beginner.

Wed Jul 04 2018

Hiked green rectangle off Dunk Rock, picked up Yellow, and looped back on Blue Rectangle. Beautiful New England forest, Yellow could have been marked better.

Thu Jun 28 2018

One of my favorite trails... Many trail choices for everybody's liking.

Fri Sep 22 2017

visiting from Maine, walked the white trail by lost lake and returned on orange trail. a little over 3 miles. trailed marked ok, but can be confusing at times; same color circle vs. square. dogs had fun as usual! beautiful weather!

Wed Jun 28 2017

I love everything about these woods. The trails are all very well marked and Maintained. The views are incredible. Make sure to make the trek down to lost lake!

Fri Aug 26 2016

Had a blast today! Went a little over eight miles and just twisted throughout the maze of trails. I ran my map quest since I messed up recording using AllTrails app again and that gave me a sense of where I was and how to get back. So much to see and fun exploring. Picked raspberries when done then bought an apple pie to bring home. Can't wait to go back. :)

Fri Mar 18 2016

Different at every turn. Loved the fact that we could go a different way every time we are there. Beautiful and fun.

Fri Mar 11 2016

Beautiful views and great hiking trials