Westwoods Trail is a 6.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Guilford, Connecticut that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.1 miles Elevation Gain: 646 feet Route Type: Loop

A very challenging hike! Well marked with few exceptions. Very buggy today but that is to be expected in the spring. The description says the trail is 6.1 miles but it is actually over 7 1/2 miles. Well worth the effort. There are five difficult, no hard, scrambles. I was able to do them fairly easily with my year old Golden Retriever.

Everything else is great except for the snakes.

Cool place! Lots of low-lying wet areas. Plenty of rocks to keep it interesting.

This is actually a pretty fun trail. It is low lying so very muddy, but really cool. I had fun.

flooded

Well, the trail itself is awesome until you get lost. The trail map worked out for the first quarter and then it was just a wing it thing. Still got about 6 miles in though, maybe more. My record shut off a few chunks of the trip. If anyone needs advice on how to get back, you can take the blue square all the way back to the car park...if you can find it.

recorded Westwoods Trail

Trail was great. Less than 10 people. Couple water moccasins along water/marsh yellow rectangle.

I know the description says this trail is busy, but I would say it’s still pretty quiet and secluded. I saw a bobcat on this trail once - I wasn’t close enough to get an iPhone pic (probably a good thing), and in the many times I have been back with my good camera and wildlife lens, I have yet to see another one, although they’re probably hiding somewhere in there. It’s a moderate skill hike. Most of it should be fine for just about anyone, but there are some steep uphills, rocky areas, a few very muddy spots, and some narrow areas, so mobility-impaired may have some challenges.

This is a decent, easy to moderate hike. The parking area is usually not too busy, but even if it is, it thins out quickly as you get further from the entrance. It’s quiet and scenic. There are a few areas that get muddy after a rain, but nothing you can’t maneuver around. This is the one place I have seen a bobcat, but it was too far for a picture, as I didn’t have my good camera with me. I have been back many times hoping to see another one, but nothing since that time!

Quick little loop on the green triangle trail.

Large forest with many trails, unfortunately the trails are not really well marked. This is the reason for the 3 star review. Having the AllTrails app definitely helped! Hiking after a rainfall would be very challenging as we hiked this on a dry day and hit many muddy spots. Often overgrown and trees down. A few good inclines to keep the heart pumping with a scramble or 2 as well. Will definitely come back but not without the All trails app.

Some scrambles....couldn’t find granite sculptures

Great place to day hike. Varied terraine.

I reallllly wanted to love this trail and see the sights that I had seen in so many pictures... however, the trails were quite confusing! Firstly, there were no physical trail maps. There was only a QR code for your phone that gave you the map. Now this is all fine and dandy, however, it sucks having to stare at your phone while hiking and plus, phones eventually die! So no more map! Secondly, I used AllTrails suggested trail for Westwoods and a quarter way through, we got lost and ended up following a yellow trail that led us through thorns and then a muddy pathway. At this point, we got lost twice and were so over it. Thirdly, I felt as though some of the markers were not close enough. That last yellow marked path was doing so well until we went through the thorns and goldenrods and ended up hitting a very muddy pathway that seemed to lead to nowhere. From there on, we retraced our steps back and followed Green Rectangle to Green Circle and got back to our car. I really wished it was a little less confusing... there are really soooo many paths you can take on this hike and I feel like if I didn’t follow the path AllTrails gave me, we probably would have enjoyed the hike more instead of cutting it short from frustration. I will say the mushrooms and plants were so pretty and we were really enjoying the hike up until things got all confusing. I would have loved to see the waterfall and caves and satisfying little view... alas, I will have to come back another day, if that ever happens.