West Woods

West Woods is a 2.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Branford, Connecticut that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

snowboarding

cave

There are many trails for different levels of activity crossing each other spanning several square miles. Different trails lead you to different terrains including, wooden bridges across streams and marshes, cliffs and caves, and both dense and sparse woodlands. At any time you may see deer, squirrels, chipmunks, birds of all types, frogs, turtles, and lots of bugs.

This was a simple easy hike. Went on a fairly chilly day and enjoyed it. Easy walk.

This is a nice easy trail we hike often. This is definitely easy as long as the weather is nice and cool. It is well shaded, but on very hot, poor air quality days, it can be a tougher hike for asthmatics like me.

Absolutely lovely little trail. I took my 10 year old niece and it was perfect for her. I'd definitely rate this as "Easy" rather than "moderate". The only thing is that there are lots of offshoots of this trail that aren't very clearly marked, and it would be easy to get lost. But I followed the map on the app and it was fine.

Friday, August 05, 2016

Monday, May 23, 2016

beautiful day for a hike. watched markers carefully and still ended up in the wrong place. these woods are really lovely. well worth the mix up.

Wednesday, December 09, 2015

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Thursday, November 08, 2012

I have hiked the Guilford half of this system several times and loved it, so I decided to try the Branford ones. I entered from Red Hill Rd and instantly realized that the trails are poorly marked. The blazes were faded and VERY far apart. I had a trail map, so I had planned to go down the orange square trail and return to my car by way of the green/orange trail. Finding that second trail was an ordeal in and of itself. Then once I was on it, the trail became more and more rocky. My poor dog, who goes hiking with me often, had a really hard time with it. He's a 65lb pointer mix and he was really struggling with the rockiness of this trail. I don't even know if we were really on the green.orange trail due to the above mentioned problem with markers. I would see a white circle, then a green blaze, than an orange at random intervals. I finally, when faced with a 6ft straight up rock (which I could do, but not my dog) blocking a trail hemmed in by 2 stories of rock on both sides, turned aside and made my own trail back to the orange trail and just back tracked. Worse hike I've ever been on with my mutt. We'll stick with the Guilford side!

Saturday, May 19, 2012

My fianc and I hiked the green square/orange circle/blue square trail with our mini schnauzer. A nice, moderate trail that was very pleasant. A quiet trail as well which is a plus. We only came across 3 other hikers.

Monday, April 09, 2012

Monday, October 03, 2011

Love this place

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Hiked this trail 10/21/210 in Guilford, CT. I hiked only the white circle trail and offshoot, white square trail. Both trails were easy to moderate with the moderate area adjacent to eaastern edge of the salt marsh/estuary area because of some granite boulder "scramble" for a short way.
There is evidence of a rather extensive fire that must have occurred some time ago at the upper reaches of the white circle trail.
It was a beautiful fall day and my springer spaniel, Buddy, and I enjoyed the experience and Buddy also enjoyed breaking the leash rule during our trip. This, of course, is not recommended for trail-friendly hikers. We left no mess, however.