Learn more

Vista Trail and Devil's Oven Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(327)
Devil's Hopyard State Park

Vista Trail and Devil's Oven Loop is a 1.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near East Haddam, Connecticut that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and snowshoeing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.8 miles Elevation Gain: 374 feet Route Type: Loop

cave

one of my favourites. a good bit of elevation gain, some climbing, and a nice amount of variety from waterfalls to deep forests to a gorgeous Vista.

My wife, 4 year old son, and I followed the red trail on a Saturday afternoon. The area just off the waterfall (by the parking area) was PACKED with people. It was good too see a lot of people out but, if you're looking for a quiet hike in the woods you need to keep moving past this area. Once off on your own the hike was great. Really beautiful scenery with a mostly safe trail. One of the bridges was pretty rotted out and was missing planks that left holes a person could for though. Overall, it was a good experience for us.

Can be vertical at times but fun. A few bugs might be worse later in the season.

Great hike, ended up rock climbing at the end.

Very cool trail. Heavy foot traffic in the beginning dwindled after the falls. Some challenging footwork with hills (and two small children). Nice vistas.

Great trail with nice viewpoint, river views and of course the falls. Yes, it is heavily traveled (we were there on a Thursday) early on. But the further you hike the fewer the hikers. The portion of the hike along the river is a bit more technical.

Devils Hop Yard has very unique and diverse scenery compared to other places in CT. There are plenty of manageable trails to explore, each with their own experiences. We happened to go on grey day in spring, so the colors were not as vibrant. I will definitely visit this place again in the summer or late fall. Though the park is nice, is does feel a bit overused. Paths, moss and vegetation are beaten down in quite a few areas, even off the main trails. The park was also ravaged by invasive bugs and fire a few years ago, so there are numerous downed, charred and rotten trees. Overall, it's a nice place to hike but I feel the park needs a breather. This may have to do with that fact that its spring however.

One of the best hikes in the Connecticut-River valley

Great trail! We parked at the fire parking lot above the waterfall. We wandered down to the waterfall which was beautiful. And then walked down to the picnic area where we found the bridge to start our hike. The trails were well marked and easy to navigate. I went with my 3.5 year old and it was perfect for him. Enough “fun” stuff including walking over streams, navigating muddy obstacle courses, and some good rocks to climb. The only drawback was how many people were on the trail! But it’s good to see so many people hiking and enjoying the outdoors!

Short and rewarding hike

This was an awesome hike !!! It was very rocky, rooty and loose rock in some places. It had moderate to steep elevation changes which definitely got my blood pumping. It was one of the more challenging treks thus far but it had incredible scenery. I will definately be coming back !!!

Went on the orange trail. Well marked path. Great hike with steep inclines and beautiful views.

Great place to go on a little hike with your 4 legged friend or by yourself, tons of different trail options one of my favorite places to go.

So happy to find this trail! Absolutely beautiful

trail is nicely marked. I didn't expect so much rocky incline/decline on the descent of the loop. At one point I had to find an alternate way up a rock for my Brittany (who is a midsized hunting dog). Nice hike just don't expect the way back to be easy.

Love it! My new favorite hike! Cool rick chasm, many trails to choose from!

Chapman Falls was amazing. We did the orange trail counterclockwise. It was a mainly easy hike and the trails were well marked and wide. Can't wait to go back and explore some more.

One of the most beautiful trails in Connecticut Hike today in the rain and it was completely peaceful

This is a great little trail with some good climbs. The blazes should start a little soon when you get over the covered bridge! Hint: go straight and you will figure it out. I brought my pups and they had a great time! Pretty vista and devils den is quite steep to get to but very cool when you get there. Overall a great trail!

nice advanced trails

Took the Orange Trail with my dog. Super rocky, great workout. Long enough to feel accomplished, short enough to not feel like it was never ending.

Orange trail was heart pumping kick ass for me. Steep inclines begging to give you a great work out along with some boulder climbing. Very scenic throughout.