Violet and Orange Trails

Violet and Orange Trails is a 6.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Hamden, Connecticut that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This hike is ok, and very nice for the convenient location. The downside to this hike for me personally are the hoards of people - so many people. However, if you stay on the Violet and Orange trails, they seem to be less traveled. Be prepared for a very rocky terrain with rots. (I had a dog on a leash and she had a tricky time and ended up pulling me over a few rocks by accident). Moderate is a good classification, there were a few times that I had to stop and catch my breath but it felt good and not exhausting.

This combination of trails made a very nice day hike for my Grandson and I. The dog friendly trails were very interesting to hike. They varied from nice woodsy walks, to rocky terrain , to following the trail along a small stream. . My Golden Retriever especially loved the stream. We started our hike on the Violet Trail at the Chestnut Lane Parking area. We followed this until we came to the Red Dot Trail. We took the Red Dot Trail North to the Gorge Cascade (Scenic View). We completed this deviation by connecting to an unmarked trail (Marked with a white U) that ran adjacent to Tuttle Avenue. And then went south on the red triangle trail. This brought us back to the Violet Trail which continues for another mile or so and ends in a Picnic Area complete with rest rooms (running water) . This picnic area is the hub of all the trails in the park. Here we had our lunch and then returned to Chestnut Lane via the Orange Trail. These trails are well marked and maintained. Although these trails are labeled as Easy(Violet) and Moderate (orange), they are a pretty good workout for the casual hiker.