Valley Falls

Valley Falls is a 2.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Vernon Rockville, Connecticut that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

There are 8.5 miles of blazed trails in the 183-acre park, as well as a picnic pavilion, toilet facilities, and a swimming beach. A section of the Hop River trail passes threw the park. Loop around the pond and hike out into the park by going to the left. To the right of the pond there is a water fall and trail that leads up to the Hop river Trail. Cross it and continue to hike up to view the valley from two look out points.

Loved this park!

Perfect!

Options for short or longer walks. Gorgeous! You would never know it’s so close to the city. Went on a Tuesday afternoon , quiet. Can only imagine what it might be like on the weekend. Watch your footing for roots and mud but otherwise very gentle.

Nice

Nice loop. We did it counterclockwise. There are many bridges as we followed a stream. The trail was wet with some muddy sections. The are many rocks and roots. Good footwear is advised.

My dogs love this place- lots of areas where they can hop into streams! Really pretty, clean, family friendly. We have done the trail looping around the pond which is fairly easy (I have two dogs on leashes) and also gone across the street following the blue blazed trail which is more on the moderate side.
Following the blue blazed trail into the park you will meet up with the Vernon rails to trails part of the hop river trail. If you are on the rails to trails, there is a place to lock up your bike and go down to valley falls or hike up further on the blue blazed trail.
The pond is pretty clean here as well, lots of parking. Overall great spot.

Nice easy hike! It follows along a stream and some little waterfalls. I ended up taking blue to blue/yellow to red. There's also a lake, picnic areas and a small beach. :) My dog absolutely loved it too!

I love this trail it's moderate in difficulty. It has a beautiful path along stream with incredible tree coverage, flowers and all sorts of interesting insects and critters along the way. There are a lot of fallen trees, stonewalls and small wooden foot bridges. It is not too crowded in the morning and afternoon and brings you far back enough in the forest that all external city sounds are absent.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Leafy glory in June

Monday, April 24, 2017

This was great trail to walk with my little ones. We had to backtrack at one point as we were on the blue yellow trail and then on the red trail to end back at the lake. There are some climbs and it was an overall great hike.

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Short hike, the trail is listed as moderate but it's not, its very easy, rather flat, wide trail, but lots of roots and some muddy patches. ran it with my dog, it was nice following the creek, but be careful of all the break off trails, stay on the blue and yellow marked trail(if you are leaving the parking lot and head to the right across the bridge) until on your way back you'll notice it splits off to the right and a red marked trail continues to the left. go down the red marked trail to make the full circle. I enjoyed it, it would make a nice day walk as well, just to get out and relax.

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Yellow trail is our favorite!

Tuesday, December 06, 2016

Love this place. We go hiking with our kids 6 and 8 year old, we hiked here twice we loved it so much. The first time we took the blue/yellow trail which was moderate and second time we did the yellow/blue trail to the red trail which was much easier but beautiful.

Thursday, July 21, 2016

This is an easy to moderate trail. Most is easy walking, there are some roots to negotiate, but its not bad at all. I think the reason its considered moderate is there are a couple of spots that you need to walk up a short but steep hill.

If you start by walking over the foot bridge to the right of the pond, your walk will begin with a pretty little stream for the first 10 minutes or so. After that, there is very little water on this walk, as the other streams dry up in early summer.

Thursday, July 07, 2016

Great spot for hiking with dogs, cool views and a lower trail that's easy on the knees!

Sunday, June 19, 2016

nice trails...
afterwards got some sun on the beach.

Saturday, May 07, 2016

beautiful place! great trails!

Saturday, April 23, 2016

Great view up top

Friday, February 19, 2016

Used to mountain bike here years ago starting from the old Manchester drive in off 384 near 44

Tried a few years back but there are now a bunch of houses up

Have gone back and hiked and biked from park entrance. Not quite the same but still nice

Friday, December 11, 2015

Great mountain biking trials, pet friendly, great people around. If you like challenging up hill mountain biking, go here!

Thursday, November 05, 2015

Great trail to hike. Vernon was my hometown and growing up this was a great place to end up running or hiking the rails to trails to/from. love the ledges and they have a great overview of the tree tops.

Tuesday, November 03, 2015

Easy trail with lots to see from old railroad markings to wildlife. We always take to dog and go off trail. It's my go to hike.

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Walked this whole thing from Bolton Notch to Valley Falls. The nature preserve at the top of valley falls is beautiful with local garnet glittering in all of the schist. Miraculous variety of geology starting at the lower elevation in Bolton Notch at the limestone caves. Wow, that's a treat! Wish it wasn't so marked up with graffiti. It was really amazing to see some of the markings from the old railroad. Love this place.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

This is great for kids and dogs! Lots to see and explore. Kemba (our 2 yr old pup) loved it! There a lots of places to stop and play in the creek. Not a difficult hike but it is still fun!

Monday, October 06, 2014

We only went here for a short excursion, but it was a great place. There were a lot of people fishing, walking dogs, and hiking. The trails were all clearly marked and impeccably maintained, with nice wooden walkways/staircases at a few locations. The place had a great vibe, you could tell it's a local go-to spot for hiking in the area. Though it's in close proximity to route 84 and densely populated residential areas, it felt removed, like we were out in the woods in some less-traveled area. All around it was a great little visit...

Saturday, September 28, 2013

For being in Vernon this trail is spectacular. Its got a nice view at the top and is right next to Hop River trail. Been going here since I was a little kid and still come here time to time. Not a super challenging trail but its the closest thing to home for me so when time can't afford a half hour drive to somewhere else this will suffice.

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Great loop to start training my pup into a real hiking dog, good uphills and down, but nothing too crazy

Saturday, April 27, 2013

I'm sorry, that red blazed 5 mile trail was supposed to be for Gay City...not sure how it posted to Valley Falls but I can't figure out how to delete the review, hope I didn't cause any confusion!

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Hiked the red blaze 5 mile trail. Beautiful Sunday hike, sunny and quiet. Gets a little rocky and mucky at some points but nothing serious.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Hiked the yellow trail which is about 3 miles, I believe ( I forgot to start my gps at the trail head check in..) This trail is so pretty, one of the prettiest I have been on. A lot of people out with their dogs and although they are cute I'm scared of them (having been attacked 4x before will do that to you) and I'm allergic but no one had them on a leash, that was the only downfall of this hike. I will definitely come back though. There is a tree along the trail where people leave little trinkets behind which I thought was cute, my daughter left a ribbon :)