Learn more

Upper Hop River State Park Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(57)
Bolton Notch State Park

Upper Hop River State Park Trail is a 13.4 mile out and back trail located near Vernon, Connecticut that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 13.4 miles Elevation Gain: 544 feet Route Type: Out & Back

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

partially paved

rails trails

I was looking for a new spot for my weekend long runs and I think I found it today. Very smooth and gradually sloped dirt road with beautiful runoff brooks, rock ledges, and ice formations. Many runners and mountain bikers with numerous trails off the main path. Can't believe I drove past this place so many times over the years and never stopped. Highly recommended!

Wed Nov 29 2017

Have walked and biked on this rail-trail many times over the years. Well kept, smooth (a few parts get very slightly rocky near Bolton Notch, but that's considered the Hop River Trail at that point). Nearly flat as this used to be a railroad track, the only inclines happen EXTREMELY gradually. I can only notice the incline on my bike as one direction I'll average 13mph or so while having to pedal constantly, and on the way back I can coast up to 20mph and maintain it with little effort. Great for biking as well as hiking as there are several offshoot trails in both Valley Falls and Bolton Notch parks which offer expansive lookouts and challenging climbs less than a half mile from the rail-trail. There are several street crossings and the trail is very popular amongst local residents, these are the only major drawbacks keeping me from rating this 5 stars. Great for people who want to get out and move but don't want to trip over rocks or climb steep slopes (unless you venture off on one of the side trails).

Thu Dec 18 2014

I've lived in Vernon all my life and the trails have always been a great way to just be alone and calmed. They go all over town and you can pretty much get anywhere on them. Great for biking, hiking, running, or walking.

recorded clark trail loops