Red Loop is a 1.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Southbury, Connecticut that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

It was a lovely hike but there were trees down everywhere, also once you get to the tower there are no signs to tell you to go back where you came from, it seems like the markers just disappear but you actually have to go backward. I ended up going through the woods directly down the mountain until I found my way back. It was beautiful and I’d definitely do it again with what I know now.

loved the waterfall and each boardwalk on the red trail. i went up to the tower, not very high. it was sort of fun, like an obstacle course. with all the fallen trees in the path, i had to go over, under, and sometimes between. less than impressed with the trail markings, however. i think i will go back when it gets cleared up.

short easy hike in a nice small park
pros- falls and covered bridge were beautiful and picture worthy
cons- some graffiti which is sad, no views really at the top of the tower (top of the tower might be better in mid fall with more color), can be a little difficult to follow in some areas
Highly recommend you check out Black Hog Brewery after the hike, you'll thank me later!

The falls are fabulous! I found the trails a little hard to follow with all the fallen leaves and not clearly marked; however, it was a beautiful day for a walk. Next time I do this walk, I think I’ll do it before the leaves fall. We went up to the top of the tower but was not impressed with the view.

Nice hike although many trees are down along the route so either around, over or under was a regular decision. Beautiful waterfall at the beginning of the trail.

Good hike, more buggy than I expected. Trail is pretty well defined but in some parts it is definitely not as clear, most likely due to the storm. I went off trail two times and went back to find the trail. The fire tower has an okay view, you can’t see much with all the trees in the way. Also, some parts have trees in the way that you have to go underneath/above and it’s a fun adventure. Wish the trail was better marked at some parts, but overall I really enjoyed this short and quick hike.

Really liked this spot. Lots of parking, picnic tables, and pretty views even if you just hang around the entrance. Pretty waterfalls and rock formations, and covered bridge. I did the big loop, beginning on the covered bridge part with my 12 year old and our dog. It’s a good, moderate hike that’s a little more challenging (and fun!) due to all the downed trees and tornado damage. There are a few spots where the markings aren’t super clear - we got slightly off track towards the southern part. All in all, a great spot!

Great place for picnic, or just to enjoy the beauty of nature

we did this as an alternative to Kettletown state park trails being closed. We were looking for an "easy" hike in the area to take my parents that were visiting for the week.
The Hike end up a tad less "easy" because of the obstacles due to the tornados that recently hit CT (5/15/18), the north part of the trail is still no clean, so many trees are blocking the trail and you have to find your way around.
But it was fun for us and them and they end up with some "adventurous" pictures :D.

fun!

Quick, easy, quiet, nice views of falls

This was a good trail. Really short. There were a ton of trees down due to the tornado and it made the trail impassable at parts. I did a lot of scaling! My dog was able to stay off leash since it wasn’t busy.

Beautiful trail, nice and easy. Went right after tornadoes so it was a bit of an obstacle course maneuvering trees but I would 100% go back again.

Great for a quick hike

great stress relief. beautiful walk.

Nice easy walk with a beautiful Gorge. Busy road sounds are audible for much of the trail though.

excellent hike, easy.

Great for a quick, pretty hike with picnic.

Sunday, December 03, 2017

Quick and nice!

Tuesday, October 03, 2017

great place to meditate

Sunday, September 10, 2017

Great views from the fire tower in fall. The pond trail left is an easier hike

Friday, September 08, 2017

interesting hike with a small river gorge containing a covered bridge and some nice waterfalls. Further inland is a boardwalk and ultimately a climb to a watchtower. the loop wraps up with a descent through cool woodlands to a pond. Moderate climbs and descents and the varied sights are the highlights.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Crappy markings but good moderate trail

Sunday, July 16, 2017

This was a nice moderate trail. There were two trees down blocking the path which was a minor inconvenience. Markings could be updated. Generally a nice hike.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Great walk took my grandkids age 4&6 and they loved it. Covered bridge, boardwalk and tower.

Sunday, May 28, 2017

It's a nice easy hike and I loved the little watchtower. It can be done with kids.

Sunday, January 29, 2017

Nice hike, pretty river/waterfall. Beautiful lake. Also a good place to go sledding with the kids when there's snow on the ground. My dog loves it.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Nice quaint waterfall. Access is easy and unrestricted. Loop trail easy. Just short uphill but any age should be able to accomplish. Just not well marked. Found myself using this apps trail map to stay on course. Signs for "tower" but somehow completely missed it.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

very kids friendly. Probably a nice view from tower once the leaves are gone