Sleeping Giant Head Blue and Violet Loop Trail

Sleeping Giant Head Blue and Violet Loop Trail is a 6.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Hamden, Connecticut that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Insanely difficult and dangerous. But I’m a complete scaredy cat! If you are not a rock climber full time, don’t do it! Beautiful view at the top, though!!

Great place to check out

I've yet to come across another hike that allows for such awesome and ample access to a cliffside scramble. The quarry is certainly the highlight of the blue trail. But the backside of the mountain, facing East, offers some awesome views of New Haven.

The wooded areas on top of the mountain are magical and have their own unique energy which is so inviting and peaceful.

I'm so glad that I live near this wonderful spot.

blue trail is tough. fed a good hike and good views. lots of traiks

It's not that hard ... nice views !!

rock climbing

Went up the blue trail first (highly recommend instead of violet first), Then had some spectacular views on the way up. Steep incline but doable. Really nice workout. We continued past the tower and hiked the blue until we crossed paths with the violet and then we turned around and came back. Highly recommended!

Pretty spot and a nice workout to get through trail.

One of the best places I've been to!

Started with the tower trail, reached the castle, and then decided we wanted more of an adventure. Boy did we get it! We followed the blue trail back, but it didn't make a loop for us. We ended up on the Hartford Turnpike instead. We saw 3 copperheads and what we think was a pile of bear poop! Beautiful views! Some tough inclines and declines, but it was worth it! I am so proud of my 8 and 10 year old daughters for keeping a great attitude most of the way, even after the snake encounter!

Hard but great views! Took blue up, past the tower transferred to Violet, at the road took Orange back to the parking lot.
Swam in the river at the base of the blue trail after - a much needed cool down after a hot humid day's hike.
Loved it.

tough but amazing views and definitely worth it!

This is one I'll surely re-visit to try all the trails.

great trails. clearly labeled. useful map in the beginning of the park. I like the options to mix and match the trails to make it work for what your looking for. saw lots of chipmunks, squirrels, and toads.

Great views. Fun, intense climbs and plenty of alternate routes back if crunched for time.

The blue trail is intense love it! Favorite place to get my cardio on.

If you're looking for a challenge this would be it...

Nice rocky trail.

Blue trail is steep. Great exercise