Sleeping Giant Blue, White and Yellow Trail

Sleeping Giant Blue, White and Yellow Trail is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Hamden, Connecticut that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,190 feet Route Type: Loop

Great moderately challenging trail. There was one steep section of the beginning of blue trail that was too slippery with wet rocks. went back to a connecting trail and the rest was great.

Don’t do the blue trail when it’s icy! There are lots of steep climbs and drops and the ice makes it near impossible. The problem is, once you get up there is no turning back and both directions become equally reckless. Fun trail under regular conditions though

Probably the most well marked trail I’ve hiked in CT. Lots of ways to increase or decrease the length of the trail. Pretty rocky in certain areas, lots of little babbling brooks throughout the hike. No real scenic lookout per se but the terrain is pretty variable. Really enjoyable hike overall.

Fun easy hike. A lot of people on the main gravel maintenance path. Not many folks seen on the hiking trails.

Great hike. Loved the rock scrambling especially at the beginning. Just have to be careful of the leaves in the fall time. Got a little confusing when switching to the different colored trails to complete the loop so I relied on the app a bit. Haven’t been to Sleeping Giant in a long time so I am happy I went back today and chose this trail. Definitely will do again.

Take the blue loop (not the water tower trail ) it was a nice hike without a lot of views. There is a nice steep incline in the beginning and an easy gentle down. The trail can be incredibly crowded as it is right near a Quinnipiac college.

Despite all Mother Nature did, the trail crews did a fabulous job!

Really enjoyable and challenging loop to run that gets you up to some nice high overlooks. I have had this route on my radar to run prior to the tornados, and today was my chance. Surprisingly steep and challenging climbs. I also extended this by going all the way to Chestnut Ln and taking the White Trail to the Yellow Trail back to the parking lot. Highly recommend this one.

This is my favorite place to hike in Connecticut. An entire rainbow of trails to choose from, great views, and exciting scrambling at the beginning of the blue trail. I went on a Saturday and it was pretty crowded. Lots of noisy people and bottlenecks, but once I got towards the other end of the park it was much more serene.

Sun Apr 01 2018

Beautiful hike! Spring peepers and wood frogs are out in the vernal pools!

Sat Jul 01 2017

Loved it! We took a combination of trails to get to blue, which was so fun! All trails very well marked, great views from above. Took us about 2 hours.

Sat Jun 03 2017

All about 1st mile. Blue trail starts hard 700 feet almost straight up. It's all pretty moderate from there on and ends easy. 5 or 6 really good look outs. A little crowded right at the beginning but a lot more peaceful once you get past the tower.

Wed May 10 2017

This was a fantastic hike. I started at 10:30 am on the Blue trail and climbed up the Giant's head first, took a 20 minute break to have a snack, take pictures and enjoy the view. The way up was steep and rocky with plenty of scrambling. Next I went down the chin (which also had similar challenges) and continued on the Blue trail to the Tower. The Tower was a bit too busy for me and I've been to it several times so I by passed it and found a quiet spot with a great view to break for lunch. After a 30 minute lunch break I continued on the Blue trail for some time. The Blue trail has plenty of ups and downs even after the head, although that one was the most steep. When I got to the Red Square trail it was about 1:30. I took that to the White trail, which was similar in difficulty to the Blue and had several great views. When I reached the Yellow-Green I took that to the Yellow, which brought me back to the parking lot at a little after 3 pm. This entire hike was about 4.5 miles. I brought one of my dogs (90 lbs., agile) who did really well although she balked at a few of the downhill jumps off rocks at first. I found that on some of the steepest, rockiest sections it was safer for both of us to temporarily let her off the leash (although that's against the rules). This was on a spring Sunday, late morning through afternoon, so the Blue trail was quite busy from the head through the tower but after that it was much more peaceful.