Shenipsit Forest Trail

Shenipsit Forest Trail is a 5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Somers, Connecticut that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.0 miles Elevation Gain: 570 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

We liked the wildlife and trails were not strenuous. There was a lot of shade. However the trails are not clearly marked. The trail was overgrown and not marked at all in some areas causing us to be lost for several. Families beware.

Lightly trafficked trail with so many bugs that it was difficult to see ahead. Besides, until you reach the actual trail, which is about a mile from the parking, the passing cars and trucks kick up a lot of dust. We went there end of August, and unless there’s a better time to visit, we won’t be going back again!

Saturday, June 02, 2018

Quite buggy today but a fairly easy hike through beautiful country! Went in through Parker Rd, little difficult finding white dot trail, had to back track down Soapstone Rd but was worth following through woods and off road. Will definitely go back and explore other trails through park and looking forward to see fire tower refurbished and reopened again.

Saturday, January 27, 2018

Great for walking with dogs. Not very crowded and plenty of trails for exploring.

Wednesday, August 09, 2017

has nice technical climbs and decent decents for biking

Monday, July 24, 2017

Nice Sunday afternoon walk. My GPS cut out and we ended up tacking on 2 miles to the hike. Lots of summer woodland blooms and butterflies.

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Nice trails in the area, low traffic for a beautiful Saturday. Fire tower at top is closed and is covered in graffiti. Fresh tree removal near the picnic area at the top, nice views. Looks like some drive up but most were parking at bottom and hiking around.

Wednesday, May 03, 2017

Good trail, a bit of a mix of paved road, dirt road, horse/mountain biking trail, and regular foot trail. The view from the top was nice, even though we went while it was cloudy and rainy out. I would suggest this trail as a running trail as well for those that don't mind the rocky parts and the up and down hills. The only thing that was a little annoying was the lack of markings. There were tons of different trails branching off of the main trail I was trying to follow, none of them were marked, including the trail on the map here, so you have to really pay attention to your GPS and try to stick with the trail on the map, unless you feel like exploring of course. Besides that it was a beautiful little trail, I carried my baby and a backpack up it, along with having my dog with me.

Friday, August 19, 2016

Good, easy hike, only took a couple of hours with relaxing breaks at points. Would definitely recommend for families and/or people who want to have a nice hike with their dog!

Saturday, April 30, 2016

Great for young kids!

Wednesday, March 09, 2016

It was a nice scenic hike, peaceful as well. I would recommend it.

Monday, July 07, 2014

Well maintained trails, varying difficulty, and wide. Great views at the top of Soapstone. I would highly recommend this trail.

Sunday, June 08, 2014

Hiked the Soapstone Road to the observation tower, down the interpretative trail to Shenipsit, back to Parker Road. Short but fairly vigorous. Great panorama on the tower.t

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Great place to run or hike. I like to bring a pack with me because there are quite a few rocks. It can get a little muddy in some areas in the spring but they dry up. There are a few trails here but based on how much land this area covers I wish there were a lot more. Well shaded in the summer so if your looking to avoid the direct sun and stay a little cooler this area is not so bad.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

love going up the trails. I have gone to the lookout many times as a kid with my dad and now im bringing my kids. I even met my wife on the mountain when we were kids she was riding her horse and i was on my quad

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Hiked the Soapstone Mountain section. Cool breezy day, mostly sunny but clouds moved in over us and spread some snow flurries! The trail is easy to see, mostly rocky and covered with dry fallen leaves which can be slippery. Great hike for those who only have a couple of hours. Fantastic view to the northwest from the tower.

Sunday, September 04, 2011

Great place for a moderate hike just one overlook that I know of but deffinetly a place the locals like and trails are well keep up watch out for the horse poo!

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Awesome hike with a great view tower you can climb beware Do not go after dark always patrolled

Sunday, June 03, 2018