Learn more

Rockhouse Hill Sanctuary Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(243)
Oxford, Connecticut

Rockhouse Hill Sanctuary Loop is a 4.6 mile loop trail located near Oxford, Connecticut that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is rated as moderate and offers a number of activity options.

Distance: 4.6 miles Elevation Gain: 643 feet Route Type: Loop

We hiked the yellow and white trail. It was about 4 miles out and back. There was a great look out over the Housatonic River. I’d say this hike was easy-moderate with a few rocks and hills.

The blue section is well maintained, wide, gravel, and easy. Would be great for kids. The other sections off the blue did not disappoint either, and were much more challenging with an very nice overlook as a reward. Will definitely be back again for this one.

Great trail really gets the heart rate up

Very well maintained trails.

Nice walk on blue trail with 6 year old.

I took the white/yellow trail out to the viewpoint, then on to the blue trail portion before heading back to the lot. The parking was quite busy, but I only ran into one other couple my whole time out. I even sat at the outlook area for a solid 20 minutes and no one came by, which was delightfully unexpected. There are multiple crossing mountain bike trails, so pay attention to where you’re walking.

The blue trail is a very clear marked trail. Part of it has small stones over muddy parts. It’s dog friendly, and a great trail for mountain bikes as well. There are bridges to cross over small streams, and a few other trails that veer off the blue trail. It has some elevation while walking the trail.

This isn’t a “hiking” trail... I would consider it more of a walk on a path lol. Literally the most exercise we got during this was walking through the field of the High School because we had to hop off the “trail” due to so much foot traffic. The view is nice, requires zero effort to get there, and has a cute bench thing to sit at. Also the twisty trees are cool.

Well marked wide trails all protruding rocks are painted for visibility

This trail was local for us. We had a beautiful day- sunshine and cool temperature (60 degrees,). Perfect hiking weather. I would describe this trail as a walking trail- cleared and even the protruding rocks on the trail were painted to prevent tripping. We tried to add all the loops but missed one of the “MickeyMouse ears.” I think we actually did a double loop. The trail was not too crowded, but we did see others. The trail runs near Oxford High School. The only drawback for me was that you heard road traffic for nearly the entire walk. Rt 34 and 188. We enjoyed the beautiful reservoir and the overlook- see picture.. mountain bikers do share this trail.

Great hike!!! Trails are great! Well marked! Loved it!!

A little muddy at points but very easy to avoid. Right before the rain. Good hike though!

Clear trails and well marked. Enjoyed the twists, turns, inclines and declines. Lots of cars in the parking lot but only saw two people throughout. Overall a great trail and family/dog friendly.

The trail is in good shape and decently marked.

nice sunday stroll! lots of turns so stayed on the blue trail. very little involved and results well marked. will definitely return in the spring!

No rain recently and was still dangerously muddy. Dumb zig zag trail,doesn't even bring you to nearby huge body of water.Not very scenic or interesting.Will not be back.

flooded
icy

this trail fucking sucks

Great trail did the blue and white yellow blazes to get almost 5mi mostly flat with some climbing 500ft over 5 mi

Great hike with a good view. There are well placed rocks that make good traction on the hills. I stuck to the yellow-white trail and there’s a nice overlook and a small waterfall.

Well marked, good footing. Did all loops. 2:10. Mostly flat with a few lookouts & waterfall.

Didn’t have enough in 1st hike and went to see the scenic overlook, very well worth it. Dunkin run next!

Great day for a hike. Warmer than usual. Course was relatively clean, not many leaves on the ground. Easier than yesterday’s Pattaconk reservoir. Good burn at the end.

Great trail - really well marked, clean, relaxing hike. I wish I was here 2 weeks earlier....the vista point must have been beautiful! Feel free to pack a snack or lunch, multiple spots along the way to rest and regroup. Will definitely be back!

Well marked