Rock Spring Trail is a 3.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Scotland, Connecticut that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.3 miles Elevation Gain: 367 feet Route Type: Loop

Made a second attempt at this trail as it was overgrown before in the summer. This time it was recently maintained and made the hike a lot more pleasant. It's peaceful, scenic and paths clearly marked. Would recommend for a fall, afternoon hike.

nice trail for a warm day and dry weather. it looked like there could be lots of wet areas after a rain. it's a good workout with the ups and downs, but could be a nice walk at your own pace also. well marked.

Nice views, narrow path, some rocks. Trail markings faint in some areas. There were a lot of overgrown parts on white trail with thorny bushes that were interesting to maneuver through (don't wear shorts).

Nice hike. We only went to the overlook and back but it was a good little workout. The trails themselves were very evident, even if there were no blazes. The blazes were a bit faded, but no worse than most others on other trails. Lots of directional signs too pointing you to landmarks. Overlook was nice, we ran into a bunch of hawks nesting. Would be a great trail in the fall.

White blaze needs repaint. Smaller trails not well marked.

Nice loop with several points of interest. Trail markings were pretty faded, but was able to stay on track. Good afternoon hike with two dogs.

Fri Sep 28 2018

Hiked with my dog and had a great time. It was a bit wet, since we had that storm the other day, great none the less.

Sun Sep 23 2018

awesome trail for dogs!

Sun Jul 08 2018

Won’t be back unless the trail is maintained. 10 mins in we turned around because it was completely overgrown.

Sun Jun 10 2018

I enjoyed the hike and got to train more with my backpacking gear

Thu May 10 2018

Nice pleasant woodland hike.

Tue Apr 10 2018

Nice trail and overlook was very scenic. Snapped a few pictures of some vultures flying around. The stone chair is cool as it’s positioned just right to view the overlook. Very nice!

Sat Mar 17 2018

Pleasant hike, not too hard, nice river and other interesting features, as well as a nice overlook.

Fri Oct 13 2017

great hike with just enough to make it a challenge without being too much. I only had enough time to hike up to the lookout and back, but I'm planning on returning to hike down to the river and over to the spring. this might be my new favorite place. I did initially miss my turn for the lookout. fallen limbs and leaves had my head down watching my step more than checking for markers. my own fault. thankful for the maps in the app

Tue Jul 18 2017

Rock Spring Preserve: the hike to the spring is mostly downhill. I would say it was a moderate hike, nothing treacherous. It has a lot of stonewalls along the path to view. The spring is tucked away in a small valley with lots of vegetation growing around it.

Wed Jun 14 2017

Favorite Spot to go. Very easy to walk and great Overlook.

Mon May 01 2017

Well marked

Mon Apr 03 2017

wish it was a little more scenic but still very nice! the only straining part for some would be walking back of the entry path

Mon Mar 20 2017

Was a fun trail with the dogs and GF. Not very well marked.

Sun Nov 20 2016

I liked it, the trail near the river needs a little TLC but not bad otherwise

Sun Oct 09 2016

We found the trail to be overgrown near the river. Not sure what scenic overlook people are noting-- didn't come upon this. There are a few secondary trails that are not marked, stay on the wider trails and try to look for the white markings on the trees (which are not frequent and fading).

Sun Oct 02 2016

Great trail! Pretty easy one especially for kids and beginners. The river part was pretty but if you kept going it was a bit over grown. But the lookout was fantastic! Definitely would go again just for the lookout!

Tue Sep 13 2016

Nice

Sat Aug 27 2016

It was really great seeing the Indian Spring, the river and overlook. We wished there were more signs at the stops as we didn't know to back track to go to the next stop at the river. And at the overlook the trail continues...to the main road. So there should also be a sign there. Didn't know to backtrack there either. Otherwise the view was AMAZING and it was just beautiful :)

Fri Jun 10 2016

Good trail! Slightly overgrown near river. Overall very good. My daughter loved the overlook and river.

Mon Mar 21 2016

Easy to follow trail. Light elevation. Nice vista. Park at trailhead.

Sun Apr 26 2015

We really enjoyed our hike. There was a lot to see and it was challenging for our kids.