Roaring Brook Falls Trail

Roaring Brook Falls Trail is a 1.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cheshire, Connecticut that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Short trail. Good for a quick jog as a treadmill substitution. Go after a heavy rain.

Nice trail. Says it's a loop. But when you get to the top the red trail markers stop. I followed the blue for a while but know that's part of the Quinnipiac trail. Down trail is not marked at all and is very steep. Good workout either way!

Nice hike with kids. My 4, 5 and 7 year old had no problem. Be careful near cliffs, also does have a decent incline. Great for dogs too. Pretty solid for families. Little parking.

Very nice steep. But not the best view except the waterfall.

Nice quiet trail. I brought my three kids ages 3-8 and it got a little hairy with some rocks/ cliffs/ and a nice little incline, but they did well.

Very steep trail but great exercise. Didn't make it all the way to the top because it was steep and it was raining. Saw the falls through the woods very beautiful but we turned back because my boyfriends was nervous about bears or mountain lions. Then when we were all the way almost to the end, a tree falls on its own. A huge tree which made a loud noise and we thought it was some animal knocking it down so we started running but it was fun! Would go back again probably in the fall or spring.

This was a nice hike.. Uphill on red trail was a slightly steep challenge, as other have said, great work out. The second half of the loop heading down is not a marked trail, but was able to follow easy. The downhill section of this trail is pretty steep and takes some time to get down. Overall, it was a very enjoyable hike with some great views of the falls..

Steep trail up to fall- great workout!! Wanted to find either reservoirs but couldn't. Anyone know the best trail to them?

Very nice hike!

Great trail dog totally loved it!

Thursday, February 23, 2017

Always a good hike if you take the Quinnipiac trail. I enjoy starting from the north or from the south. Was just there 2/19/17. There had been a couple of nice snow falls in the last 10 days, but on this day it was in the low 60s. So there was a lot of snow melting and the waterfall was flowing strong.

Monday, February 20, 2017

Good trail, will attempt again. Didn't complete the loop, miscalculated how much time I before dusk with all the snow.

Sunday, December 11, 2016

The Quinnipiac trail is a good trail to walk on. This section of the trail is a challenging short hike with a great waterfall.

Saturday, October 29, 2016

It was fun

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

loved this trail thought I was going to die from the bills but that's what I loved the most about the trail

Saturday, September 03, 2016

This map shows a completely different entrance than I use to hike to the falls. I am almost 100% positive that the loop is on private property.

I could not give the Roaring Brook Falls trail five stars because it is short, only .75 miles one way.

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Great hike!

Monday, July 18, 2016

I'm going to write what I wish someone else had. After you park in the cul-de-sac and walk along the gravel pathway you will come to a fork. LEFT or STRAIGHT, and a tree with a RED arrow on it pointing left. Depending on what you want go left or straight.
Straight- leads you in the woods along a gravel pathway, it was intuitive enough where to go/turn etc. There is a sharp left STRAIGHT UP small boulders. You will notice old telephone poles. (I was certain we were going the wrong way) Nope, keep going, and just follow the trail. You will come to what looks like a camp site and a lack luster water fall. THIS IS NOT IT. Keep going around staying close to the cliffs edge. (you will go up, and down and back up) but you will eventually see the 80 ft drop. When youre done follow back on the trail (Again, its intuitive enough to figure out) you'll see a stone plaque and an old fireplace. Eventually you will come back to the tree with the red arrow on it and you will have your bearings and walk back out to your car.
If it has been RAINY, I would NOT go straight. Staying left and doing an out and back would be the safest option. This is a strenuous hike either direction. Straight is def MORE difficult than going left in my opinion. I probably wouldn't bring small children or nonathletic people on this hike.

Thursday, June 30, 2016

just tough enough to be a good workout. not as far to the falls as advertised. about 20 to 25 minutes from parking lot to falls at brisk pace

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Roaring Brook was definitely not easy...very good so we will say moderate to hard as the climbs are steep. Aside from seeing the falls which were small in comparison to other trails its not very scenic and not much else to see. Im sure it is best before the trees bloom or early Fall when there are no leaves and you can see the surrounding area from the highest peaks. A good hike and its more than just 3 miles more like 4.2

Sunday, May 29, 2016 off trail by mistake. .turned out to be great and beautiful. will do again.

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Great challenging hike. Definitely not an easy hike!

Friday, February 05, 2016

The rating of "moderate" for this trail is an understatement. Most of the trail was uphill and steep, passing by a waterfall with high drops onto the rocks below. After hiking the colassal hill at the beginning, there was still more hill, but then it leveled out. As it turned out, there was a view of the forest and the trails branched off separatly. I followed one to a flat area with moss, which was a perfect spot for a break, then did a little more exploring off the trails on the surrounding rocks. On the way back down, I stopped and rested for a short while at a small spring near the waterfall. The location of the trail was easy to arrive at, and relatively close by my home.

Monday, August 17, 2015

It's a short trail that's entirely uphill, and steeper than you think. The lack of rain may have made things treacherous; as you get closer to the falls, the ground is loose and covered with small stones making it easy to slip, and the trail does run along the edge of a 20 foot drop. There's also not a lot to hold on to. The waterfall was at a trickle (again, lack of rain), but pleasant. Probably won't revisit this one.

Sunday, August 09, 2015

The directions are wrong. Your looking for roaring brook in Cheshire not prospect. The trail is challenging and fun. You need hiking shoes not sneakers.

Saturday, December 22, 2012

It was great! We came in on the Prospect side off Roaring Brook Rd. It's a pretty wet hike until you start climbing in elevation. We went past the falls down the steep part then cut over and came up along the falls making it more of a challenge

Tuesday, October 09, 2012

This is is an all uphill hike on the way in. And, all downhill on the way out. It took me about 40 mins to hike in taking breaks and 20 mins out. I have done this hike multiply times over the years. You can access it from a side street or off of route 42. Off of route 42 its more of a moderate hike vrs all uphill off the sidestreet entrance.