Park Loop (White, Orange, Blue, and Yellow)

Park Loop (White, Orange, Blue, and Yellow) is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ridgefield, Connecticut that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Seth Low Pierrepont State Park Reserve was a gift to the Connecticut State Park and Forest Commission from Seth Low Pierrepont upon his death in 1956. The park has five different blazed trails, including one around the south end of Lake Naraneka (Pierrepont Pond). The park's main trail is the white trail, which goes along Pierrepont Lake from the parking lot, ascends to the highest point in the park, and then descends to a minor entrance. Hiking is easy around the lake, but moderate, with steep sections everywhere else. The top of Barlow Mountain offers views of Pierrepont Lake, Redding hills, and on rare occasions, Long Island Sound. Boating is permitted in Lake Naraneka, though motorboats are not allowed. No campfires or camping are accepted in the park, but cooking in grills is permitted. Fishing is permitted according to regulations of the State of Connecticut Board of Fisheries and Game. General Wooster led his troops down Old Barlow Mountain Road during the Revolutionary War. John Barlow's blacksmith shop was located here. An old foundation of the Scott House dating from the 1720s can be seen at the boat launch area. The stone walls and enclosures in the park were built by the Scott family when they farmed the land.[4] Seth Low Pierrepont, a millionaire and former diplomat, who had purchased the land from the Scott family in the 1930s, gave the estate to the Connecticut State Park and Forest Commission upon his death in 1956.

I would say this is a moderate trail, fairly easy in the beginning with pretty flat and there is one to two steep parts. A nice hike. Trails are pretty well defined in that you see the trail, but not well marked in which directions to go. Without a map, it is easy to go on the wrong trail. Had to go back a few times to make sure I was going on the right trail. So check the map often if you want to stay on this trail.

very horrible markings.

It's a nice park. We hiked up to the viewpoint. It wasn't too difficult. I would say it's more easy than moderate. I wasn't expecting to have to walk behind so many properties though.

I would not say it deserves a rating of difficult at all. However it is a great family hike the everyone could enjoy. It starts off walking down next to a lake and into the woods, the continues inward until you reach a large hill/cliff side. You will hike up the right of it and find yourself at the top of the mountain. The views are good not great, for the work you put in the view is worth it. Large sitting area on a flat rock at the top to sit and maybe eat. I’ve done the hike about 10 times and it’s still “fun” even now.

Monday, July 17, 2017

Great Sunday hike. I would not rate it difficult. Starts out as a beautiful walk around the lake, then you have a fast incline. My GPS showed only a 366 ft. Elevation gain. Watch the trail markers carefully. We did white to white/orange to blue to yellow and then to white. A little treck throng marsh land to meet back up with the white trail! Have fun... BTW.. we ended up at 4.16 miles. We lost the trail for a very short time, but the loop is longer than 3 miles.

Saturday, June 10, 2017

I'm not really a runner but I like to run when I can't get any other workout in. I've been wanting to hit this trail for awhile and it was a perfect challenge. Three miles with a really good climb that I had to walk up in a few spots. It can be a goal to run the whole thing! Thankfully, I had this app to keep me on course as the trail markings are light in spots so I questioned my decisions at times.

recorded Recording - Mar 10, 12:40 PM